*Snowflakes to Sunshine* Discussion #21 5.27.11

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
Alrighty every one! I just want to know your honest feelings about the challenge. And you have one more week to rock it out...so how are you going to do it?

Replies

• TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I lost again this week ONLY .2 pounds ( point 2 ) ugh! Weighed In 146.4

I tried going back to 1200 calorie but couldn't do it. Since I started eating back exercise calories & Now trying to go back to eating only 1200. ITS NOT WORKING! :sad: It's only been 2 Good days that I'm back walking strong, So I'm praying by next weeks weigh in I can make it to 145 pounds
    So that means I need to get off here And get my Big Butt moving.
    Hope the rest of you have a Great weigh In
    And Have A Wonderful Weekend :drinker:
  • forgiven4life
    forgiven4life Posts: 451
    Options
    bump for later
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I can honestly say that this challenge has been more about learning about me than about losing weight. And no, I haven't lost 40 pounds, but I have learned to be kinder to me and to draw strength in me. I know it may be a cop-out but I am grateful that I haven't gained 40 pounds in the last six months! I mean, I have steadily gained weight the last two years. It has been nice to take control of that even if the scale is only inching its way back down. But now that my focus on is health rather than #s, food has not been the painful agonizing relationship that I've known it to me. I've feared food, adored food, loved food and despised myself within all of those moments for not having "willpower" or "discipline". But now I have been able to take a more eyes wide open approach to understanding what I eat, how I eat and why I eat. MFP and this challenge has been my way of really getting at the deeper issues because as much as we know is not about just food or just exercise, very often we think that if we just get those two things in check, all will come into line. Not so! This challenge has helped me to help someone and to let someone help me. This challenge has allowed me to allow myself to be vulnerable and keep asking myself to be honest. What's the point in lying to yourself when it always amounts to shame? The women in this challenge have helped me faced some fears and I am ever grateful to you all for that. And thank you for this entire experience.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've gained for the past 2 weeks. This week I GAINED 3.8 lbs, so NO COMPLAINING SUNSHINES! Time to do what we need to do. :drinker:

leandread :heart: Thanks for posting.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The challenge has def. keep me on track for the better. I had a lot going on in my life and I think if I wasnt in this challenge I would have just stopped completely. I have not lost what I wanted but I have gained knowledge of what my body needs. I still feel the sunshine coming out in me, I feel better about myself and thats the most important part! Hoping to have a loss for the last week of course it will be TOM but we shall see.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Alaska!

This has been a good challenge for me. I started it right when I had hit two important milestones (25 lbs down and below 200 lbs) and was on a good, steady weight-loss roll, but with major upheaval in my life. The challenge stuck with me through a transatlantic move, moving in with my significant other, new job, and the major lifestyle change from a London couch potato to an outdoorsy Alaskan (well, we're not quite there yet, but...). It was extremely helpful.

As for goals, at first I thought 158 pounds (40 off my start weight) was ridiculously low. But then the weight just came off for a long time, until a few weeks ago, and I'm now pretty much exactly there, give or take a pound (my last weigh-ins were between the 157s and 159s). Indeed, I think this is pretty close to my lowest weight since my 20s some time, and I was never MUCH thinner. Though I was a different shape, with more of a waist :tongue: .

I'm not going much for the "kick it up, no excuses, make another effort today!" approach, at least not right now, and for me. There have been enough stress factors in my life, so the word was to find equilibrium. I learnt how to work with, not against my body. Well, knock on wood - there's surely much to learn and my body is surprising me often and frustrating me sometimes. This is also why I haven never thought 1200 calories was anywhere near ok as a goal, even as a sedentary shortish (5'4") woman approaching middle age. This doesn't mean that I haven't had days where I've eaten only that or even less, just because it happened to be a slow day and that's how it went. My goal has been set to 1500, and most days I was around the 1400 mark, sometimes a little over (which I didn't like except when exercising), maybe once a month much over (around the 2100 mark, when there was a special occasion, which was OK with me). Now lately, I've been only rarely below 1400 because I'm just a lot more hungry. So that's maybe one reason my weight loss is going slower! But I really don't want to force my body to live on less after more than 6 months steadily letting go of stores, so I'm OK with a slower loss! After all, in another 15 pounds or so we're talking maintenance.

Other indicators have become much more important. Can I make it up that big hill with the cycle club (yes, I did it! andI wouldn't have 6 months ago)? (And frankly, there's a lot about fitness I need to integrate in my life, such as weight lifting and maybe running.) Also, body fat percentages and waist circumference are getting more useful. Both are still off from where they should be.

Reading other participants talk about their successes and struggles has made for a really good environment for that. Thanks Krystle, Whittrusty for the spreadsheet, and everyone who has helped or shared!
  • Krys_T
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I can honestly say that this challenge has been more about learning about me than about losing weight. And no, I haven't lost 40 pounds, but I have learned to be kinder to me and to draw strength in me. I know it may be a cop-out but I am grateful that I haven't gained 40 pounds in the last six months! I mean, I have steadily gained weight the last two years. It has been nice to take control of that even if the scale is only inching its way back down. But now that my focus on is health rather than #s, food has not been the painful agonizing relationship that I've known it to me. I've feared food, adored food, loved food and despised myself within all of those moments for not having "willpower" or "discipline". But now I have been able to take a more eyes wide open approach to understanding what I eat, how I eat and why I eat. MFP and this challenge has been my way of really getting at the deeper issues because as much as we know is not about just food or just exercise, very often we think that if we just get those two things in check, all will come into line. Not so! This challenge has helped me to help someone and to let someone help me. This challenge has allowed me to allow myself to be vulnerable and keep asking myself to be honest. What's the point in lying to yourself when it always amounts to shame? The women in this challenge have helped me faced some fears and I am ever grateful to you all for that. And thank you for this entire experience.

I just love reading what you have to say! You speak so eloquently. It really had me thinking about how I have gone through the same menal transformations, and I think that this journey is perfect for just that...the mental transformation that leads to the physical transformation! So well put! LOVE IT!
  • Pretty1one
    Pretty1one Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello Sunshine Ladies

Last week 159.8
    This week 158.6
    Lost 1.2lbs

I have no words to express how this challenge has helped me to accomplish my goal.My original goal was to lose 50lbs
    so far from the day I started with MFP I've lost a little over 46lbs. and almost 44lbs since I started the challenge.
    I must say I consider myself very very lucky to have found such great group of people from the get go.

With this said (believe me I have much more but I'm not a good writer and I'm always on the run now):blushing:
    My goal now on is to maintain my weight. I know we still have one more week but yesterday I bought my first size 6 pair of pants (Capri) and when I told my husband I have a couple more lbs to lose he looked trying to look happy for me but with such concern that I think it will be more of a smart move start working on maintaining the weight.

I still not going to change my profile but will make sure I eat all my calories, specially the exercise ones.

I wish you all a great Memorial Day Weekend
    Don't starve yourself but Make smart choices

Yes we can have our cake and eat too (just don't eat it all, just a little bite) :laugh:

:heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    Rosie
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with leandread. This challenge was about learning about myself and finding what works and what doesn't. I still haven't found the magic plan, but I'm closer than I was six months ago. There has been so much emotional and mental challenges and I realized how much of my weight struggle is tied to that. It has been a great learning experience.

Today I weighed in at 187 and my goal was to be at 180 by the last weigh-in. Unless I'm retaining a mad amount of weight, I probably won't hit that goal but I'm okay with that. I have discovered that I love to trail run and that getting out is disgusting.

The past two weeks have been challenging because of my upcoming move and my eating has been horrible and aside from packing boxes and moving them, exercise is nonexistant. I can tell that my body is craving some attention and looking forward to next week when we'll be back on the program.

I've decided not to focus on the number, but on the inches lost instead. The scale hates me, but I can see changes in my shape. The other day a gal that I hadn't seen in a couple of months mentioned in passing that I looked great and she could tell I was losing weight. It was very gratifying!

Well, gals. I need to get back to packing. I miss everyone on here and I look forward to being back in saddle next week! :)
  • TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Hello Sunshine Ladies

Last week 159.8
    This week 158.6
    Lost 1.2lbs

I have no words to express how this challenge has helped me to accomplish my goal.My original goal was to lose 50lbs
    so far from the day I started with MFP I've lost a little over 46lbs. and almost 44lbs since I started the challenge.
    I must say I consider myself very very lucky to have found such great group of people from the get go.

With this said (believe me I have much more but I'm not a good writer and I'm always on the run now):blushing:
    My goal now on is to maintain my weight. I know we still have one more week but yesterday I bought my first size 6 pair of pants (Capri) and when I told my husband I have a couple more lbs to lose he looked trying to look happy for me but with such concern that I think it will be more of a smart move start working on maintaining the weight.

I still not going to change my profile but will make sure I eat all my calories, specially the exercise ones.

I wish you all a great Memorial Day Weekend
    Don't starve yourself but Make smart choices

Yes we can have our cake and eat too (just don't eat it all, just a little bite) :laugh:

:heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    Rosie

CONGRATULATIONS ROSIE!!!!! :drinker: I'm So Proud of you!!!!!! YOUR AWESOME!!!!!!!!
  • ChantalC1969
    ChantalC1969 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    bump
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - probably till Monday - crazy weekend ahead :tongue:
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with leandread. This challenge was about learning about myself and finding what works and what doesn't. I still haven't found the magic plan, but I'm closer than I was six months ago. There has been so much emotional and mental challenges and I realized how much of my weight struggle is tied to that. It has been a great learning experience.

Today I weighed in at 187 and my goal was to be at 180 by the last weigh-in. Unless I'm retaining a mad amount of weight, I probably won't hit that goal but I'm okay with that. I have discovered that I love to trail run and that getting out is disgusting.

The past two weeks have been challenging because of my upcoming move and my eating has been horrible and aside from packing boxes and moving them, exercise is nonexistant. I can tell that my body is craving some attention and looking forward to next week when we'll be back on the program.

I've decided not to focus on the number, but on the inches lost instead. The scale hates me, but I can see changes in my shape. The other day a gal that I hadn't seen in a couple of months mentioned in passing that I looked great and she could tell I was losing weight. It was very gratifying!

Well, gals. I need to get back to packing. I miss everyone on here and I look forward to being back in saddle next week! :)

OHHH, I completely understand about the perils of moving! We have been combining two apartments into one house for the last week and today will be the last day. My diary has been wonderful at reflecting the food desert I live in, not to mention the low funds of my wallet :) But anyway, crank up the music and dance while you pack up those boxes :) It may not be the "real" workout but it still benefits you.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Wow! Several of you have really put into words how important support is in general, and this group's support specifically, to weight loss. I can't really add anything to that.

I know I lost more because of this challenge than I would have on my own. I think I might hit 29 pounds lost by next the end, 30 if I'm super lucky, but that's ok, since I will be under 10 pounds from goal and I'm ok with taking another 4-6 weeks to kick that out.

I lost a pound between yesterday's weigh-in and today's weight. I have been retaining water forever, so maybe it will drain off now. I weigh nearly every day. It helps me, and I don't sweat the gains knowing they are part of normal body functions. I do plan to use my lowest weight between today and the end of the challenge as my ending weight. I have been pretty faithful to listing my Friday weights all along, even when they were up from the day before, but I want to end on the sweetest note I can. :blushing:

Well, you folks have all been great, and I'll miss you! I wish you all the best for this final week, and for the rest of your journey!
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Well, I have gained 1.2 pounds this week, but since I can't move my rings, and ate pretty high sodium foods on the run this past two days, I'm thinking it's pretty much water weight. I would like to see a final loss of 20 pounds by Friday and think I will be able to achieve that.

My goal had been not only been to lose the 40 pounds for the challenge, but to reach 50 pounds by our 12 day cruise at the end of June. Although that clearly will NOT happen, I am happy to say that I feel the weight I've lost will stay off. I just discovered that I'll be able to wear a formal pantsuit on the cruise that I haven't worn for years (and tried -completely unsuccessfully- last summer).

This has been, as others have said, a change in lifestyle and learning what I can eat, how exercise makes a true difference, and how support and encouragement are key! I don't know that I would have lost this (nearly) 20 pounds without the S2S challenge and the support of all of you MFP buddies.

Thank you so much!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Bump! I stayed the same this week. I have my work PFT on Friday and killed all 7 events and earned 3 days off with pay. There were a total of 10 of us that did it in the AM. 6 guys and 4 gals. I was the 4 one crossed the finish line in the 300 meter run. My time was .53 secs I kicked butt out of all the girls. I had to do it in .83 secs. My time for the 1.5 mile was 15.30 minutes and I had to do it within 16.32 minutes. I'm so proud of myself. It just goes to show you that you can do anything that you set you mind to doing. I have been away all weekend camping with my family. It was a great first camping trip of the year. I will be working out at home the rest of the week. WOW can't believe that this is coming to an end! =[ It feels like we just started. I can wait to see everyones pictures and there inches that they have lost.
  • Krys_T
    Options
    Bump! I stayed the same this week. I have my work PFT on Friday and killed all 7 events and earned 3 days off with pay. There were a total of 10 of us that did it in the AM. 6 guys and 4 gals. I was the 4 one crossed the finish line in the 300 meter run. My time was .53 secs I kicked butt out of all the girls. I had to do it in .83 secs. My time for the 1.5 mile was 15.30 minutes and I had to do it within 16.32 minutes. I'm so proud of myself. It just goes to show you that you can do anything that you set you mind to doing. I have been away all weekend camping with my family. It was a great first camping trip of the year. I will be working out at home the rest of the week. WOW can't believe that this is coming to an end! =[ It feels like we just started. I can wait to see everyones pictures and there inches that they have lost.

Great job girl! That is awesome! And you are right...we CAN do anything we put our minds to!
  • Krys_T
    Options
    Good evening ladies! Well here is what I am proposing for the new challenge. I know for some people, you are at your goal weight so, great!! But this challenge will be a little more all-encompassing. I didn't want it to be as long as this one so I have decided on the following:

3 month challenge
    once a month, How many inches lost
    once a month, 5 lb weight loss goal
    weekly mini goals

So instead of it being a big 40lbs number. I would like everyone participating to shoot for 5lbs a month. I think this is a good number because it is achievable and very possible to exceed in a month for some people.

We will do measurements each month (chest, arms, upper waist, true waist, hips, and thighs) and tally up the total of inches lost each month.

Now the mini weekly goals is what I am really excited about and I think it will be something to keep us engaged and give us a chance to focus on different aspects. So for example, weekly calorie burn, sodium intake, water consumed, fruit and veggie servings, 100 crunches or push up challenges for the week, etc.). I think sometimes everyone was only focusing on the weigh-in each week and that is why the board stayed rather quiet.

I will do only one thread each week. This will include the new mini challenge for the week, but also where we can have the discussions, post questions, etc. This will also give people the opportunity to share their weekly weigh-in numbers...but I only ask that a weigh-in is posted once a month. I don't want people to get discouraged based on a weekly weigh-in, although I'm sure all of us will still be doing this lol.

So what I need from everyone is suggestions on a start date, immediately after this one or a later start date, any suggestions that you all may have will definitely be taken into consideration. I am also wondering if we should ask others to join?