Why do SKINNY ppl think there FAT??

Options
2»

Replies

• Missy123556
    Missy123556 Posts: 80
    Options
    bunnywarrior, I wish I could "like" your post!
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    Years ago, one of my closest friends thought she was fat. She had just given birth a few months prior and I was in awe of how GREAT she looked - it's like the baby came out and *poof* she was thin again. Since I'm a very honest person and she & I were so close (still are) I knew I could be honest with her. I said "Tammy - you're kind of making me feel bad. I weigh over 300 lbs, and you're upset because you're a size 8?? Doesn't that imply that at a size 28 I should just be shunned by society as a pig?" And she nodded thoughtfully and said "Honey - I don't mean to make you feel bad, but please understand. Before the pregnancy I was a size 4 and I felt good. I felt fit & healthy. I could look in the mirror with some level of modest pride. Now I don't feel that way. This is about me - not you." Which set me back in my chair. Had to take that all in and see that she was right. Had she been feeling pressure from her hubby or society or whoever that she had to be thinner, I would've been disgusted. But she didn't. She just wanted to feel better about herself.

Now the 6 yr old you mentioned is a completely different issue. She might need therapy to avoid serious food issues down the road...
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think we all have an ideal vision of our selves in mind. Thinking back to when I was in Junior High and thinking O M G I am sooooo FAT! Now it is a giggle to me, but it wasn't back then I was quite serious. Sometimes we are affraid of becoming what we see. Sometimes when we see a battle that is hard to fight we fear it becoming our own. So from my experience this is what I think. Weight control issues start at all ages, different levels, and for many various reasons. Once they are programed in to our minds they are much harder to reprogram with healthy ideals.

Best of wishes with you and yours on this journey! :heart:
  • vannaceej
    vannaceej Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh my goodness !!!! I know what you mean. I hear size 6 females saying my hips are too big or I have a pooch tummy and I want to smack them! You never hear an overweight person going around saying to anyone within hearing distance "Look how big my belly is, I have to lose a few lbs". Give me a break!! lol
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    There are a good percentage who like the attention.

As far as 6 year olds being terrified to eat their parents need to take a good hard look at themselves.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I know for myself I have never been skinny.... well, no smaller than a size 8 which is where I am now but I still don't feel skinny. At my highest weight I was 254... For most of my adult life I have been around 185 - 190lbs... Now I am 165ish but more toned than I have ever been but I still feel "big" I instantly go to the size 14's when I go in a store and the large shirts but they don't fit.... It is hard to wrap your head around being smaller, taking up less space, having less of a profile... I am not using these terms to be rude I am being honest on how I see myself. I no longer have to turn to the side to get through smaller spaces.... I can walk beside someone on the street without worrying about them having enough space. I fit behind booths, I am not more comfortable using the handicap stall because there is more room, I don't have to sleep on the edge of the bed so my husband has enough room....
    It seems rediculous to look at your weight that way but 90lbs is 2 of my six year old..... CRAZY.
    When you were bigger for longer than you have been smaller it takes time to adjust to your new size.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    If skinny people think they are fat, their problems are likely nothing to do with weight.
    Fortunately, I am fat, so can think it all I like :)
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't know either. My best friend thinks she is fat when she isn't AT ALL! I am a lot bigger than she is! So when she is constantly saying how fat she is, what am I supposed to think? If she thinks she is so fat? What does she think I am?

OMG YESSS! I have aco-work that is a size 4 at aprox 124lbs and she says things like " I wish I could lose ..." I wish my legs weren't ..." and all I can say to my self is wow i must look like I weigh half a ton to her! ... makes me feel bad sometimes and they don't even realize it.
  • Cynthia239
    Cynthia239 Posts: 5
    Options
    I can't STAND my MIL - she is 100 lbs and COMPLAINS - ' i have gained SO MUCH weight!!" - good god woman Get Over It!! ... ugh!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    It's the comparison to underweight supermodels that makes alot of people think they're fat. But as for a 6 year old child being afraid because of how her mother is, KUDOS to her for recognizing a problem there. Now she needs guidance on how to eat the right way (and her mother needs to check into life, no offense).
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Its all psychological. It is certainly not something to laugh at or to take lightly. It has to do with how you see yourself. Like with anorexia, you see yourself in all honesty as someone bigger than you actually are so you refuse to eat, burn too many calories and other such known actions. It is a VERY serious thing.

Surgeon General states that "psychological disorders are health conditions that are characterized by alterations in thinking, mood, or behavior or some combination thereof, associated with distress and/or impaired functioning."

"In biological psychiatry, psychological disorders are conceptualized as disorders of brain circuits likely caused by developmental processes shaped by a complex interplay of genetics and life experiences, thus there are inborn, inherited & environmental factors."http://psychological-disorders.org/
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    With me it is because I am anorexic..no matter how much I weigh or how bones are sticking out I still think I am fat...so that could be one reason. I dont do it to put others down..actually I really dont care what other people look like. I like them for who they are. Now with that being said why cant I do that with myself? It really is becoming a big problem. Kids younger and younger are starting to have body image issues. They hear it from adults, they hear it on TV..what do we expect. I never say anything about my weight or how I look in front of my great nieces..tell them all people are beautiful no matter what they look like..dont want them going through this!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    maybe your MIL has issues too! Not so easy to get OVER IT! Have been trying for 24 years to get over it!
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Same here, no matter how little I weigh, I'm never thin enough, muscular enough or satisfied. It started when I was 14 and I know it won't go away. On occasion though, I like myself now, but it took me years and lots of therapy.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    People have different goals. I don't wanna be just lean. I wanna be crazy ripped. When someone calls me skinny I get really pissed off.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of "skinny" people say they feel "fat" because judging one's own weight is an acceptable, and even encouraged, form of self deprecation in our culture. It has little to do with their actual weight. When "skinny" people try to talk about being unhappy for other reasons besides weight, people often respond with something along the lines of "What are you complaining about? At least you're skinny." As if being thin equals being happy. We ALL have things we'd like the change about ourselves or our lives, regardless of how much we weigh. Maybe if we could accept that and support each other we would all be able to talk about what our REAL issues are and stop focusing so much on our weight and our looks.