Any of you losing weight without a heart rate monitor?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    I don't have an HRM at this time. It's on my wish list though, since I would like it when I transition from the gym to the street in my running program.

Monitor your calorie intake and your calorie burn and leave yourself plenty of "wiggle room". By wiggle room I mean a calorie deficit cushion to cover you when you underestimate the number of calories you consume and overestimate the number of calories you burn. MFP is perfect for the record keeping.

My ticker is tracking my progress since January 1, 2011, although I joined the site several weeks later.
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    over the past year i have lost 2 stones, without using a hrm. i do have one but i havent used it
  • jumelle
    jumelle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't own a HRM and I've lost about 10 lbs since getting back to MFP full time as of the beginning of May. I follow the MFP recommendations and I think I've been doing pretty well. I will eventually get a HRM, but that will be when I've saved enough for the Polar Women's HRM that a lot of folks here have recommended to me.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds without a heart rate monitor. I figure that my exercise calories are a high-ball estimate so I try to only eat back 50-70%.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have lost somewhere between 13 and 15 lbs without a HRM. I don't own scales either, so not sure of the exact amount, but I have lost 13 lbs since Feb and I had already lost 2 inches from my waist by then.

I am now getting a HRM, but only because doing more running I want to know if I am over training, or if I can push myself further.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight since January without a heart rate monitor. I do have a droid/phone that has an app that tracks calories burned etc and I use that when I go for a walk or run. If I'm at the gym I just use what the eliptical/machines tell me for my weight. I also try to eat most if not all my exercise calories back each time adn eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

you can do this with out a heart rate monitor--eventually I'd like to have one though, just can't afford the one I want yet.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So, have any of you managed to lose weight good with just counting calories & eating back your execise cals using the cals burned numbers given on this site? Just wondering as I have not sure how accurate that is....
    Me me, pick me!
    I've never had a heart rate monitor, I would LOVE one though, I've lost 116lbs without using one :wink: