Running in the summer - suggestions

Options
wewon
wewon Posts: 838 Member
I've been running for the last several months and really enjoy it.

My body warms up in the cold, the brisk weather in early spring is nice and the temps of late spring can be ideal.

That said, what do you guys do during 90 degree days?

The only thing that I can think of now is running on the treadmill or early morning runs. Since noone can control the weather I suspect that that's what we're dictated to.

Are there any alternatives that I'm not aware of?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I'd like to know this answer too. This is my first summer running also.
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    although I'm much more tired during 90 degree weather I find that I burn much more calories because I sweat more..so I actually prefer running outside when its really hot :)..just depends on your preferences..It is definitely very fatiguing..and harder to breath..but its worth it..
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon (it's in Oct so the training is all through the summer) the choices were to run in the morning when it's cooler but more humid, or in the late evening when it's hotter but less humid. I always opted for the early runs since I HATE the heat...:P You can try and run on a treadmil, but unless you're on a machine that has airflow blowing right at you it will feel just as hot as being outside.
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I must be sick --- I thouroughly enjoy getting drenched in sweat and working my butt off to get a 5 mile run in when its 90 degrees!!! I LOVE it!!!
  • l_tolmie
    l_tolmie Posts: 1
    Options
    You're right if you don't like the heat - early morning or evening once it cools down (but before it gets too dark). I've also run in the heat and its horrible and hard work but well worth it! Remember a hat, water and sunscreen!
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    I hate the heat. My body doesn't like it and walking around outside when it's hot and humid reduces me to a pile of jello. Not pretty. That being said, I actually find that I have my best runs when it's really hot and humid. True, I do have a tough time breathing if the moisture level in the air gets too high, but otherwise I like the heat. I absolutely hate having cold fingers on a run, because some parts of my body just never quite warm up otherwise. And, sometimes it's kinda nice to get really super sweaty on a run. :-)
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    My only tip is done run in the peak heat of the day. Either run first thing in the morning or when they sun is starting to set. You can always run inside if you rather. However, if you are planning on doing any races that really wont help you out that much. You also need to plan on drinking more water to account for the extra heat. Good luck on finding your summer groove!
  • azdmelani
    azdmelani Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I was training last summer during 90+ days, I would get up at 5:30 to complete long runs on the weekends. Good luck!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this. I went running at 8:30 last night as it was in the 90's during the day (In Cleveland, Ohio in May - I must be dreaming) and it was still in the low 80's and humid. I know I'm going to have to work hard at remembering to drink more water. I got home last night after sweating like crazy and it wasn't until about an hour later that I remembered to have a glass of water.

Any other thoughts from our experienced runners? I'm VERY new to this whole thing :glasses:
  • tinaleem
    tinaleem Posts: 2
    Options
    Running early in the mornings or at dusk is great... although, I must say, I work on degree celcius and live in London so I'm not sure if I have much of a gauge.

However, I suggest you just try running 3 different times of the day and check out which one you like best - then "Just Do It"

xxx
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Getting up early is worth it. You can beat some of the heat because the sun has been down all night. The majority of pesky bugs aren't awake yet and the most fun, I get to watch the sun rise as I am doing the laps around my neighborhood.
    Key thing ... make sure you have hydrated! Each evening, drink an extra 8 to 16 ounces of water knowing you will need it in the morning when you are out in the hot and sticky. Have fun with it either way!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Last summer I ran most of June and all through July into the beginning of August. I also have exercise induced asthma. My advice? Run early in the morning before the humidity gets bad and the air quality is still good. Your body will get used to running in the heat. Last summer as long as I ran before 11 I found that it was alright. Somedays are just more muggy than others.

happy runnings!
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Being Australian we have a lot of 90+F days and I love running in the early evening in it - much better than being stuck inside on teh treadmill like I a m now because its dark - I love the feeling of running outside on a hot day
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    It depends really.. It's super important to take care of yourself in the heat. If it's really hot (but bearable) bring water if you'll be out longer than 30 minutes and if it's really too hot I either walk or don't run outside. Early morning or later evening is usually good, too. Good luck!
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What I did last summer when my sister in law was trying to help me (unfortunately I gave up on myself...) was filled a water bottle half full and froze it overnight, then filled the other half with regular tap water. The ice melted slowly enough to cool the rest off, and kept me cool as it hydrated.

Hope you find something to help you! Stay safe.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    One idea try getting soaked before you start
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning and set out water bottles along my route frequently. Hydration is the most important thing.

Also, I highly recommend getting a hat or visor for really sunny mornings/days -- that sun beating on your face makes you feel even hotter.

And, this is SO important -- get a good sunscreen and if possible, UV protectant clothing!! Runners are at a higher risk for skin cancer -- prime spots are the nose and the tops of the ears and the top of the scalp. I sweat like a wildabeast so I used to think sun screen did no good for me, but I can definitely tell the difference when I don't wear it!!!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    bring a frozen towel you prep the day before for quick cool offs. very refreshing and it will get you through most of the run before the towel starts to get hot and icky and you can stash an extra one in your cooler in the car or have one ready for when you get back home and get ready for a shower.
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been running for the last several months and really enjoy it.

My body warms up in the cold, the brisk weather in early spring is nice and the temps of late spring can be ideal.

That said, what do you guys do during 90 degree days?

The only thing that I can think of now is running on the treadmill or early morning runs. Since noone can control the weather I suspect that that's what we're dictated to.

Are there any alternatives that I'm not aware of?

Hydrate, hydrate.....but if your workout is longer than an hour you need more than water. The salts you sweat out need to be replaced. Personally I don't like sport drinks, so I add small amounts of salt to my water.