Kindle or Nook?

Options
2»

Replies

• Talako
    Talako Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I own a Nook. My sister owns a Kindle.

In reality, it doesn't matter which. I think both are great.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    KINDLE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT :) Bought the second editon and then just bought the newest one and i love it. Love the fact i can use either wi fi or Kindles whispernet ( its on free internet ) that works whenever you dont have a wifi connection plus on your kindle if your away from the internet you can still log into MFP and still keep on track with your weight goals when on vacation or just out of town for the day not sure if nook lets you acess the web:)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had a Nook color for about 2 weeks. I wound up taking it back. I loved how it functioned as an e-reader, but the other things, like the internet browser weren't that great IMO and the battery life was pretty pitiful. I'm planning on getting a Droid tablet (like an iPad, but not apple) instead. It's more expensive, but it has a lot more capability too. I plan on downloading the Nook app onto it so I can use it as an e-reader too.

I downloaded the Nook app to my HTC Evo (smartphone) and have been pretty pleased with it. It functions really well and is pretty easy to read, even while using the elliptical at the gym. You do have to "turn" thw page pretty frequently due to the samll screen though.

I may look for a cheap used kindle or nook with the e-ink as I find it much easier on my eyes to read than the back lit screen. I'm actually hoping that someone comes up with a way to browse the internet with an e-ink screen (even if only in black and white.) That would be my perfect device.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I may look for a cheap used kindle
    I don't know anyone who had a kindle who has sold it. One reason may be that the books aren't transferable to other types of e-reader, so if you sell the kindle you lose the ability to read the ones you've bought on an e-reader. You can read them on PC smartphone, etc but that defeats the object of e-ink!

Unless you crack the protection of course which you're not supposed to do, which sucks because after all you have paid for the book. I haven't done it myself, but it's not rocket science. If I bought a nook and transferred the kindle flies to it or vice versa, I'd see it along the same lines as putting CDs onto a ipod. I'm not talking about handing out copies to all your friends by the way! Your mileage might vary.
    I'm actually hoping that someone comes up with a way to browse the internet with an e-ink screen (even if only in black and white.) That would be my perfect device.
    The kindle 3 has a browser and if you buy the 3G version, internet access is free. It's a bit clunky though, you might want to try it out in a shop first.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think I'm leaning towards the new Nook that comes out on the 10th. It has the e-ink and the wifi. $140 is not that bad, and I should get it before my vacation on the 19th.

I like the idea of a color Nook, but I would not want to read on it. While I appreciate its capabilities, I want an e-reader, not another computer.

I also like that Nook is compatible with my local library. After some reading, apparently there is a Nook app as well for phones and such.