OT: Advice for a migraine sufferer..if you please!

Options
Hey all!

I have been checking the internet and WebMD..etc etc etc!

But I just thought I would ask about personal experience.

I get migraines...I have posted about this before. WELL, they seemed to have gotten better and more few and far in between in recent years. I actually didn't get them at all when I was pregnant (which I read is quite common).

Anyway, I had a really bad migraine about a month ago. Probably one of the worst I have had in a couple of years. And it seems like since then, I have been getting them more frequently. I am USUALLY able to catch them before they get bad or they will just stay a pulsing, tight ache for the day. Three days ago, I woke up around 4 am...and as I came into consciousness, a migraine came on as well. I immediately got up, took 3 extra strength Tylenol and went back to sleep..woke up two hours later and it was gone.

For the last two days, my head has felt "pre-migraine-ish"...if that makes sense. Like I feel the tightness and a dull ache and like the feeling of a migraine but I am keeping it at bay. Also, the crown of my head feels really tight. I am not SUPER uncomfortable...but it is really taking a lot out of me, exhausting me.

Has anyone experienced this? And if so..what have you done to help it? Or what advice could you give me? I am going to force myself to the gym soon because often that helps! Maybe the endorphins or whatever..but it seems to relieve this "tightness and ache"

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I get migraines...I have posted about this before. WELL, they seemed to have gotten better and more few and far in between in recent years. I actually didn't get them at all when I was pregnant (which I read is quite common).

Anyway, I had a really bad migraine about a month ago. Probably one of the worst I have had in a couple of years. And it seems like since then, I have been getting them more frequently. I am USUALLY able to catch them before they get bad or they will just stay a pulsing, tight ache for the day. Three days ago, I woke up around 4 am...and as I came into consciousness, a migraine came on as well. I immediately got up, took 3 extra strength Tylenol and went back to sleep..woke up two hours later and it was gone.

For the last two days, my head has felt "pre-migraine-ish"...if that makes sense. Like I feel the tightness and a dull ache and like the feeling of a migraine but I am keeping it at bay. Also, the crown of my head feels really tight. I am not SUPER uncomfortable...but it is really taking a lot out of me, exhausting me.

Has anyone experienced this? And if so..what have you done to help it? Or what advice could you give me? I am going to force myself to the gym soon because often that helps! Maybe the endorphins or whatever..but it seems to relieve this "tightness and ache"
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have never had a full blown migraine, just intense headaches, so unfortunately I can't give you any helpful advice...but I hope you get some good answers here and feel better and migraine free soon!
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Do you have health insurance? Maybe you could get a script for Topamax...it's a good medicine (as in effective.) but it has some side effects...the good side effect is that it completely kills your appetite...bad side effect is that it makes it difficult to concentrate. I have taken it in the past for weight loss and as a mood stabilizer.
  • meganlkp
    Options
    I have had a migraine once ever (thank-goodness no more than that) and it was horrible - I seriously thought I was going to have a brain haemmorage so I sympathise completely! Have you been eating anything different lately or drinking anything different on a regular basis? (normally cheese, caffeine or chocolate bring on migraines)...... ? I hope you get it sorted - it must be horrible not knowing when they're going to come on! (also, could be stress or hormones...)
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My oldest son suffers from migraines - to the point he vommits just when sitting up. When I was in the chiropractic office for an adjustment one day I was telling my chiropractor that I was so tired because I had been in the ER the night before with my son who had been on DAY 3 of a super-intense migraine . He looked at me and said "BRING HIM IN". He said that's the very reason he went into practice as a chiropractor - because he used to have HORRIBLE migraines and it was the only thing that helped him. My son has been migraine-free for the last 14 months. An occasional "regular" headache is the que I need to make him another appointment for an adjustment. It also has worked for another friend of mine who has seen the results in my son. I'm not saying it's a cure-all for everybody but it's DEFINITELy worth trying!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    ahhhh i get migraines ALL the time especially around my TOM... I take something called mersindol which is over the counter and it works AWESOME... i usually try not to take it till bed time though cause it knocks me flat on my hiney!!! if i wake up in the morning with a migraine i usually take advil migraine which dulls it but never makes it really go away and sometimes i have to throw a little chocolate in the mix... silly but it seems to help quite a bit supposably its the caffine in the chocolate that helps but tea or coffee doesnt seem to help me? not sure why.... but those are my secrets :)

jackie
  • TamTastic
    Options
    My oldest son suffers from migraines - to the point he vommits just when sitting up. When I was in the chiropractic office for an adjustment one day I was telling my chiropractor that I was so tired because I had been in the ER the night before with my son who had been on DAY 3 of a super-intense migraine . He looked at me and said "BRING HIM IN". He said that's the very reason he went into practice as a chiropractor - because he used to have HORRIBLE migraines and it was the only thing that helped him. My son has been migraine-free for the last 14 months. An occasional "regular" headache is the que I need to make him another appointment for an adjustment. It also has worked for another friend of mine who has seen the results in my son. I'm not saying it's a cure-all for everybody but it's DEFINITELy worth trying!
    Hmmm, that is interesting! I never even thought about that. I might try it out! Couldn't hurt! I have lower back issues sometimes so I could get that checked out as well! Thanks!!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Tam - my hubby gets them. It is HORRIBLE! B vitamins can help. They help with the elasticity in your blood vessels. When you get a migraine (according to doc) the blood vessels in your head are lax... Kind of like a blob vs. a nice narrow passagway. B vitamins help the elasticity in blood vessels.

I've only had a handful of them, but he started getting them around 30 and they are bad. As soon as he feels one coming on, he slams (chugs) an XS Energy Drink. These aren't like regular energy drinks - these get all their energy from B vitamins (4900% of B-12). It's like getting a B-12 shot @ the doctor. Twenty to thirty minutes later, he has another one. You can have them caffeinated or non-caffeinated.

We've been told that you can't OD on caffeine because your body flushes what it can't use. (On big travel weekends, I've been known to go through a full case... They are awesome!). If you want nutritional info or where to buy, send me an e:mail....

Feel better! BlackCherryXS.jpg
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Our stories sound similar. Every fall, when the cold fronts come in, I usually experience a migraine for every front. I'm actually expecting a migraine in the next two days because we should be getting a cold front tonight. I've experienced crippling migraines. And I'm not a baby when it comes to pain. During pregnancy, they were few and far between, but I still had a few. Now that I'm not pregnant or nursing, here is what I do.

1000 mg of acetaminophen
    800 mg of ibuprofen

I'll do this when the migraine starts (VERY specific pain symptoms, and I get an aura approx 2-3 hours prior to the migraine). Usually accompanied by a diet coke, and this will stop the migraine in its tracks . After a few weeks, this won't work, and I'll switch to

1000 mg of acetaminophen
    325 mg of aspirin

On the few occasions that this dosing does not stop the migraine, or I can't stop it in time, I use imitrex injection. I have an immediate worsening of the migraine for about 30 seconds, then near immediate relief. There are imitrex fast melts if that kind of drug works for you.

The acetaminophen is crucial to pain relief because it acts in the brain, on pain receptors. The ibuprofen and aspirin are differently acting than the acetaminophen, and are metabolized at different speeds in different ways. The caffeine causes a vasoconstriction. In many studies, migraine pain is caused by first vasospasm then vasodilation in the base of the brain. The brain interprets this as pain. So caffeine is usually a helpful substance to migraine sufferers. (ever read the ingredients on "migraine" medicines?)

Acetaminophen=tylenol
    Ibuprofen=advil

Tam-1500 mg of acetaminophen is too much. While you don't notice many adverse symptoms, surprisingly low doses can cause significant damage. Among emergency responders, and other medical professionals, tylenol is known as a "1 pill killer" in kids because of its low dose toxicity. Please be careful if you do use this much.

THIS IS NOT ADVICE, THIS IS ONLY WHAT WORKS FOR ME. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO POST IN RESPONSE TO MY POST, PLEASE DON'T. THE MEDICINE REGIMEN HAS BEEN APPROVED BY MY PHYSICIAN, AND WHILE I DON'T RECOMMEND IT FOR ANYONE, IT WORKS FOR ME.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Do you have health insurance? Maybe you could get a script for Topamax...it's a good medicine (as in effective.) but it has some side effects...the good side effect is that it completely kills your appetite...bad side effect is that it makes it difficult to concentrate. I have taken it in the past for weight loss and as a mood stabilizer.
    We do have health insurance....I was on Imitrex before but didn't like the way it made me feel! Like my skin was crawling, jittery..on only HALF! So, I just went back to Excedrine Migraine and/or Extra Strength Tylenol. I can't take Motrin anymore because I got gastritis after my c-section (almost an ulcer) due to the excessive Motrin....so I have to be careful of that! SIGH! It's a pain for sure!
  • firegirlred
    Options
    Tam-after rereading other posts, I can honestly say I loved the topamax. Went off it for pregnancy. The other thing is: try to find your trigger. It won't usually be easy, but well worth it. You can start to prepare for or avoid the migraines altogether.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Hey Tam:flowerforyou:
    So sorry to hear about the head pain. I was just dealing with alot of that in the last several weeks....although I live in the Midwest I seemed to be effected by the change in barometer because of all the storms down South (Hurricane stuff..can't recall all their names now though..:laugh: ) so do have great empathy!

Here's a couple remedies that ya might see if they work for you as well. Not sure about you but I always try to go the non drug route if at all possible first. Here's what works for me quickly -you take your thumb and and middle finger and place them at the very bridge of your nose (pressure points) then at the same time place your index finger on your 3rd eye (mid forhead area (about an indch or so above the bridge of your nose) and simply press those points for a couple moments...

WALA....unbelieve how quickly mine vanis! Another pressure point method to try is place the tip of your index finger behind each ear...right beneath your earlobe, behind it. Place some light pressure there and that is another that works with many folks.

Hope something like this works...I do take meds for somethings in my life...so I'm not anti-med or anything but if you're in a pinch and need pain relief 'LIKE NOW' and you have no time to run get something....give it a whirl and let us know how it works for you :drinker: :drinker:

and water water and more water seems to help with it as well for me.... a change in barometer seems to get me everytime! ugh...but now at least I have learned some tricked for ridding myself of them more quickly.:heart:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Your advice/info has been VERY helpful. I will try some different things and see if I can relieve them. I should stop taking SO much Tylenol. Yikes!

I am heading to the gym now to try to relieve the "stress" part of it. That usually helps.

Thanks again!!!!
    -Tami
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie around here and I don't have any advice ... just posting to commiserate because I'm in the middle of a 3-day migraine! It is better than it was yesterday, but still is not good at all. I get the whole aura thing ... always used to see flashing lights but now it seems to be more a pins-and-needles feeling in my face and arms. That and I get agitated or irritable and can't think or see straight when it is coming on. I think mine is because of the weather with the hurricane sort of passing over here. I'm perimenopausal so mine are probably hormonal, too.

I'm going to try exercising a little bit today to see if it helps. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I'd love to try Topamax but I don't have health insurance either and it looks pretty expensive. If one of the side effects is not being able to concentrate, maybe I shouldn't though ... lol ... I can't concentrate to start with!'

I use either Excedrin if it's early enough in the day for the caffeine not to mess with my sleep or a combination of ibuprofen and acetaminophen, too... usually 600 mg of ibuprofen and 650 of acetaminophen (1 of the arthritis strength). Sometimes it helps ... sometimes it just has to go away by itself.

I have a super hard time with a migraine keeping my emotional eating under control ... I feel so sorry for myself that I want to comfort myself with food. I did okay yesterday but when it was coming on I had a binge after a week of doing really well. :embarassed:

Oh well ... all we can do is keep on going..........
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    OMG....sorry on all the typos on my message..hope it was still readable...my brain usually moves far faster than my fingers and they rush to catch up and poof...missing letter and typos... sorry:noway:

Also wanted to add...when placing finger along the upper bridge of your nose you want to place them one on either side of the bridge. :drinker:
    [/quote]

Hey Tam:flowerforyou:
    So sorry to hear about the head pain. I was just dealing with alot of that in the last several weeks....although I live in the Midwest I seemed to be effected by the change in barometer because of all the storms down South (Hurricane stuff..can't recall all their names now though..:laugh: ) so do have great empathy!

Here's a couple remedies that ya might see if they work for you as well. Not sure about you but I always try to go the non drug route if at all possible first. Here's what works for me quickly -you take your thumb and and middle finger and place them at the very bridge of your nose (pressure points) then at the same time place your index finger on your 3rd eye (mid forhead area (about an indch or so above the bridge of your nose) and simply press those points for a couple moments...

WALA....unbelieve how quickly mine vanis! Another pressure point method to try is place the tip of your index finger behind each ear...right beneath your earlobe, behind it. Place some light pressure there and that is another that works with many folks.

Hope something like this works...I do take meds for somethings in my life...so I'm not anti-med or anything but if you're in a pinch and need pain relief 'LIKE NOW' and you have no time to run get something....give it a whirl and let us know how it works for you :drinker: :drinker:

and water water and more water seems to help with it as well for me.... a change in barometer seems to get me everytime! ugh...but now at least I have learned some tricked for ridding myself of them more quickly.:heart:
    [/quote]
  • firegirlred
    Options
    Tam-you continue to amaze me. Getting rolling on a headache and you go to the gym. The endorphins should help...
    But you really amaze me. Your tenacity and desire to be healthy is so motivating. Your success is one of the reasons I've kept pushing along even though I've plateaued for almost a month.

Rae
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Your advice/info has been VERY helpful. I will try some different things and see if I can relieve them. I should stop taking SO much Tylenol. Yikes!

I am heading to the gym now to try to relieve the "stress" part of it. That usually helps.

Thanks again!!!!
    -Tami

Oh yes...going to workout really seems to knock them out for me as well....plan on hitting the weights this afternoon myself. :) Maybe I'll see you there:noway: too long of drive I guess:sad:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Our stories sound similar. Every fall, when the cold fronts come in, I usually experience a migraine for every front. I'm actually expecting a migraine in the next two days because we should be getting a cold front tonight. I've experienced crippling migraines. And I'm not a baby when it comes to pain. During pregnancy, they were few and far between, but I still had a few. Now that I'm not pregnant or nursing, here is what I do.

1000 mg of acetaminophen
    800 mg of ibuprofen

I'll do this when the migraine starts (VERY specific pain symptoms, and I get an aura approx 2-3 hours prior to the migraine). Usually accompanied by a diet coke, and this will stop the migraine in its tracks . After a few weeks, this won't work, and I'll switch to

1000 mg of acetaminophen
    325 mg of aspirin

On the few occasions that this dosing does not stop the migraine, or I can't stop it in time, I use imitrex injection. I have an immediate worsening of the migraine for about 30 seconds, then near immediate relief. There are imitrex fast melts if that kind of drug works for you.

The acetaminophen is crucial to pain relief because it acts in the brain, on pain receptors. The ibuprofen and aspirin are differently acting than the acetaminophen, and are metabolized at different speeds in different ways. The caffeine causes a vasoconstriction. In many studies, migraine pain is caused by first vasospasm then vasodilation in the base of the brain. The brain interprets this as pain. So caffeine is usually a helpful substance to migraine sufferers. (ever read the ingredients on "migraine" medicines?)

Acetaminophen=tylenol
    Ibuprofen=advil

Tam-1500 mg of acetaminophen is too much. While you don't notice many adverse symptoms, surprisingly low doses can cause significant damage. Among emergency responders, and other medical professionals, tylenol is known as a "1 pill killer" in kids because of its low dose toxicity. Please be careful if you do use this much.

THIS IS NOT ADVICE, THIS IS ONLY WHAT WORKS FOR ME. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO POST IN RESPONSE TO MY POST, PLEASE DON'T. THE MEDICINE REGIMEN HAS BEEN APPROVED BY MY PHYSICIAN, AND WHILE I DON'T RECOMMEND IT FOR ANYONE, IT WORKS FOR ME.

Sounds like some good info here:flowerforyou: ....so glad it works for you!!:drinker: Glad you shared :)

I know Acetaminophen also relieves inflamation (knee pain for me) so that might be why it helps so much with migraines as well. I was told (by my doc) that when I get knee pain, it's really caused by the inflamation surrounding my knee...so by reducing that, the pain lessens and goes away. Hey it works for me...:drinker:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Tam-after rereading other posts, I can honestly say I loved the topamax. Went off it for pregnancy. The other thing is: try to find your trigger. It won't usually be easy, but well worth it. You can start to prepare for or avoid the migraines altogether.

How any mg were you taking? The lower doses didn't bother me much but once I got up to 400 mg, I was a zombie. :laugh:
  • firegirlred
    Options
    I must admit, I did something not so completely honest with the topamax. I metabolize drugs rather quickly. Because of this, I could take an entire day's dose in the evening with no adverse effects. This way a "month's supply" could actually last two months. I believe I had reached 200 mg doses before I got pregnant.