How did I EVER survive without these foods on past diets?? W

Options
Ok, so I am looking in fridge in absolute amazement in some of the items I have come to love! Where were these things when I was on diets, errrr ummm healthy lifestyle changes, in the past? Here are my favorites and I would love to find more.......let us know what yours are! (and no boobee32, you cannot put vodka on the list....lol)

1.) Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk - zero net carbs and only 35 calories a cup! WOW - very creamy and has a wonderful nutty essence to it. Could I drink a glass of it? Haven't tried, but it is awesome in my coffee and blended in my protein shakes.

2.) Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges - 35 calories a wedge! Awesome on crackers, there are many flavors. What is really awesome?.....putting it on a piece of toast with ham and egg or on a tortilla with ham and egg

3.) La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Tortillas - 50 calories and 3 net carbs - LOADS of fiber.......can't go wrong here - they are soft and don't crumble....certainly don't taste like they are good for you....they are WONDERFUL.

4.) Protein Bars (Myloplex Chocolate Peanut) and Protein Shakes (Muscle Milk)....I always scoffed at the idea of eating these, but hey lets face it......they actually taste very good and stick with you for a long time. We all need muscle to burn more fat and you cannot build muscle without enough protein. It is mandatory to have one of those bars in your purse at all times! It is better to eat 250 calories that has 25 grams of protein in it than to stop and get a 500 calorie burger when out running around.......oh, and don't be afraid of the "Muscle Milk" brand it is the tastiest protein drink.

5.) Tofu Shirataki Noodles......these puppies only have 20 calories a serving and 1 net carb!!!! For noodles!!!!! Ok, you will find that there are many different opinions on these. they are made from a Yam that grows in Japan It doesn't hurt to try for yourself...they are $1.69 a bag and can be found by the tofu at a large grocer. I recommend rinsing very well, then boiling for a few minutes, rinsing again, and drying them with a papertowel. Either way, the whole package is only 40 calories.

Those are my favorites that come to mind! I would love to add more!
(please no "100 calories packs, crackers, rice cakes, or other things people call food but are not :))

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Almonds-

I love them! Cocoa almonds, dry roasted, salted, cocoa mint
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I keep reading about silk almond milk. After reading your post, I HAVE to try it!!!!
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Where do you find the La Tortilla Whole wheat tortillas at?
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Soy Milk

Salmon

brussel sprouts

brown rice

SWEET POTATOES!!!

squash (butternut, yellow, zucchini.. all types)

Lol. These are more like foods that I have always liked, but didn't realize I could eat AND lose weight on. Now I eat them every day almost. Lol.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Avocado
    Healthy cereal (love Fiber One lightly sweetened flakes with raisins and Kashi Go Lean Crisp & Crunch)
    Protein bars (Clif builder bars) and shakes (Pure Protein or Shakeology)
    Fresh garlic (seriously, I put it in EVERYTHING. Gives such a great taste. I used to be addicted to garlic powder 'til I discovered the real stuff.)

So much more I can't think of.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Eggs - I've always eaten eggs, but I've never appreciated them for what they are... filling, nutritious, and delicious when you take the time to really enjoy their flavor. I put a little salt on mine and that's it. I poach them in the microwave and serve. I don't need butter or cheese or salsa or bacon to enjoy them. I have them every morning.

Yoplait light yogurt - perfect for when I'm craving something sweet but don't want to ruin my diet.

Tuna with fat-free mayo on wheat - a staple in my house. Very filling!

Pickles! Lots of sodium, but when you just need a snack, they don't ruin your caloric intake!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This an interesting dairy item that I just discovered. It's called "Quark" or "fresh cheese". If you like yogurt, you'll like this.

http://www.liberte.ca/en/quark-cheese-products/fresh_quark_cheese.sn

100 grams is only 60 calories, 0.3 grams of fat, 3 carbs and 11 grams of protein!

I mix it with frozen blueberries as my bedtime snack.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Turkey pepperoni and string cheese as a snack

SILK almond milk in my cereal

Laughing cow Cheese

Skinny Cow icecream sandwiches

turkey sausage

eggs

leafy greens

quaker mini rice cakes (caramel corn is my fav)

Speical K bars

Fruit

lean proteins (chicken, turkey)

yogurt

These are all staples in my fridge
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I also love the Silk unsweetened Almond milk and laughing cow cheese.. never tried the others but been thinking bout it. I always see muscle milk in the cashier aisle when buying groceries and I always think hmm I want to try it but I never get it for some reason lol.. think Im going to next time I go. Heard about the noodles but havent really seen them around and those tortillas sound pretty good gonna have to check it out when I get groceries and for 50 cals is not bad at all. One thing I learned to love and I cant get enough of is greek yogurt :D at first I thought ew this is sour but after a couple times and Im in love. I especially love the honey vanilla mm mm mm. oohhh another is la croix sparkling water... these have helped me with my soda habits and I actually learned to love it too. I love the coconut water :)
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Kashi stuff
    Egg Beaters
    Greek yogurt

Are my top three, but I am going to look up a lot of stuff on this board!!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Love your list! I'm a big fan of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk myself. Flat Out wraps are really good too. Dannon Plain Greek Yogurt is also a fave, just to name a few.
    I'll def be trying the noodles. Thanks for sharing!!
  • where_next
    where_next Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have to completely agree on the tortillas. I love them. They are fantastic for making a breakfast taco and wonderful on taco night at dinner.

Other things I always keep on hand now:

Kashi cereals
    reduced fat cheese
    eggs
    Dr. MacDougall's soups (http://www.rightfoods.com/)
    berries (fresh and frozen)
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Where do you find the La Tortilla Whole wheat tortillas at?

http://www.latortillafactory.com/retail.aspx

There is the website that lists the retailers so you don't have to buy the tortillas on amazon. I found them at our large grocer by the "healthy foods". But I have seen them at other stores by the tortillas. They are room temp, not refrigerated.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes, eggs, eggs, and more eggs! The cheapest protein around!
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Joseph's flax pita bread- 60 calories and 4 net carbs, makes a great little pizza

Turkey pepperoni- for the pizza above

Muscle Milk light- I blend it up with water a bit of ice and handfuls of spinach, like a healthy milkshake

Eggs- good for you, filling and versatile

Almond meal and ground flax- to use for baking instead of flour

Roasted cauliflower- tossed with garlic, parmesan and a little oil, I could eat tons!

]]
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Kashi - GoLean Cereal, Kashi 7Grain Waffles
    Maranatha Almond Butter
    BSN Dessert Whey Protein
    Rolled Old fashioned Oats
    Stonyfield Plain 0% Yogurt

Also love the unsweetened almond milk
  • brosehemian
    brosehemian Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hummus <3

canned tuna/fish - convenient in a pinch

quinoa quinoa quinoa.

and this isn't really food but it does help my kick the sugar cravings - light jello - 10 cals for a 1/2 paquet

i'm constantly trying to up my protein intake. keep those muscles looking sharp. the quinoa helps because i'm kind of meat-phobic.