Canned Tuna:::Quick Recipe Ideas

Options

Replies

• wildmustng87
    Options
    bump
  • memiller57
    Options
    I found this recipe in either South Beach Diet or Sommersize Diet book.

Tuna Salad

Take about 3 cups lettuce, add a can of drained tuna and white vinegar & oil to taste (I love vinegar so I do about 1/2 & 1/2).

My adult kids think this sounds awful. I thought the same thing until I got up the nerve to try it -- I LOVE IT. Very low cal.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like adding jalapeno slices to mine
  • flutterbee3
    Options
    I mix a can of tuna with about 1 T of light mayo, 1 T of dried cranberries and 1 T of slivered almonds and have it either in a pita pocket or on a sandwich thin. I saw this in Self Magazine last summer and it is yummy!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yum, lots of great ideas here!

I've had 2 tuna lunches this week, both based around what was hanging around in the fridge plus a small can of tuna in springwater with chilli.

1. Tuna salad - baby spinach, sun dried tomato, sliced carrot, sliced mushrooms, hard boiled egg, squeeze of lime juice, tuna with chilli.

2. Tuna and rice - few mushrooms sliced up and cooked in a non stick pan until they are brown, add a splash of wine and a teaspoon or so of soy sauce. Add some frozen peas and cooked brown rice. This was last night's dinner with some left over roast chicken. For lunch today I added some baby spinach leaves and a small can of tuna for a tasty lunch.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to throw a can of tuna in the food processor (blender would work as well) and mix up the spices/sauces with it to create different spreads for sandwiches, dressing for salad or pasta or dip for veggies.

Some of my favorite have been:
    Greek yogurt with curry powder
    Tomato sauce with tabasco
    Balsamic vinegar

Sounds a little weird, but trust me it is so delicious. The tuna is perfectly smooth and works so well for a lot of different things. Last week I made the curry tuna with a cinnamon-coriander spiced chicken and it was unbelievably good!
  • beccaboo1021
    Options
    I do Tuna Pot Pie - easy, and the family loves it.

Pie crust
    1 bag of mixed veggies
    1 can of cream of potato soup (or mushroom)
    poultry seasoning (I eyeball this...but I'm thinking it's about 1 tsp)
    salt and pepper
    1-2 cans of tuna (I usually use the family sized bags...)
    Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until the crust turns golden

I also like mixing tuna, dill relish, and light miracle whip and using that like a dip for celery or crackers.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing for tuna:

1-2 cans of tuna
    1 tomato
    some onion (usually 1/4-1/2 of a medium)
    1 medium to large green bell pepper
    2tsp-1tbsp olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    Italian seasoning

Cut up the veggies, and just mix everything together. It's pretty good with a whole wheat pita or by itself.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like to take a Flatout multigrain wrap and lay it on a plate, then I put some mixed greens on the wrap and spritz them with my balsamic breeze salad spray from Wishbone. Then I open a can of tuna mix it in a bowl with lemon juice, fat free miracle whip,fat free feta cheese and dried fruit (cherries are best). I take this mixture and dump it on the wrap and spread it out leaving some empty space on one side. Then I roll it up and I'm good to go. Yummy!
  • BrandyH20
    BrandyH20 Posts: 63
    Options
    Save for later
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump...this all sounds so good!
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you like avocado mash one like your making guacamole. Add the Tuna & I like to add either some garlic salt or salsa & put in whole wheat pita's. It makes quite a bit and 1/2 avocado is probably enough but as they dont keep well once opened I find pitas that can take the get stuffed & go to town. It looks odd but I like it.

Also mixing w/ pesto is good but you may want to add some light mayo to make it not too dry depending on your taste.
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    Mix a can of Tuna with Cottage. Slice a tomato into wedges and put the tuna mixture over the tomato wedges. Then sprinkle with Dill and a little salt and pepper MMM.... My Grandma taught me this recipe when a little girl and I still love it!
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I love tuna! I make spicy tuna all the time.

I use greek yogurt as a sub for mayo-tons of protein and no fat! I mix the yogurt with siracha (chili sauce-very spicy) and then add the tuna. I mix it all together and put it on toasted wheat sandwich rounds with tomato and it is DELISH! I think I might be having that for dinner now lol.

A lot of these sound great! I am going to have to try the tuna patties!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options

I use greek yogurt as a sub for mayo-tons of protein and no fat! I mix the yogurt with siracha (chili sauce-very spicy) and then add the tuna. I mix it all together and put it on toasted wheat sandwich rounds with tomato and it is DELISH! I think I might be having that for dinner now lol.

Totally agree, any kind of hot sauce or chili sauce mixed in with tuna is delicious. Instead of a sandwich you can also stuff the tuna mixture into a bell pepper and bake in the oven for a bit.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My tuna wrap:

1 can tuna, drained
    1 T dried parsley
    1/2 lime, juiced
    1/2 t Old Bay seasoning or to taste
    1-2 T Buttermilk ranch dressing
    1 small chopped tomato (optional)
    1 small chopped cucumber (optional)

Mix all together and place in wrap of choice. Makes about 2 depending on size of wrap. I don't eat tuna salad with mayo any more after I made this!

Edit to add: Lemon Pepper seasoning is also good if you don't have Old Bay. Enjoy!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options

Totally agree, any kind of hot sauce or chili sauce mixed in with tuna is delicious. Instead of a sandwich you can also stuff the tuna mixture into a bell pepper and bake in the oven for a bit.

Never would have thought of this but that sounds delish...
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump for later ... Great ideas !!!
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    dont know if anyone has said this but a great substitution for mayo is plain greek yogurt.. Less cals, less fat, more protein and oh so yummy I also like some cut up bell pepper/ onion and maybe cucumber lettuce and hard boiled egg... ummm yummm