Protein for Breakfast

Options
Teeladog
Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
I need to get some more protein in my diet...particularly at breakfast. I don't like eggs - can't stand the smell or texture. Any suggestions? Generally I eat low fat vanilla yogurt with low fat almond granola mixed in but I need to change things up a bit.

All ideas (except eggs!) are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    interested in ideas, particularly ones that are good "on the go" or at work.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Every day for breakfast I have a scoop of vanilla protein powder, a cup of OJ and a half of banana all blended together in my magic bullet with a handful of ice! It is soooo yummy! It's about 21 g protein and 27 or so of carbs.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning. After working out, I make sure I have lots of protein. All I usually have is a cup of milk and whey protein. 1 scoop for 26g of protein or 2 scoops for 52g of protein. My activity level for the day determines how many scoops.
  • LWatson43
    LWatson43 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Kerri it sounds good how many calories is the drink?
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    check out greek yogurt, there are many and some are better choices so check the labels.....best choices are quite expensive but worth it...
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, oatmeal or cereal can be good and if you add some protein powder they can be very good.

Protein shakes also great, just make sure they have 25 or more grams of protein or not really a protein drink.

Best of luck!
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good and easy! Here, I posted this status earlier about some the recipes I've been trying. I usually mix my protein powder with Vanilla Almond Breeze, only 40 calorie for 8oz:

I have been experimenting with protein shakes and found that adding a LITTLE bit of peppermint extract to a regular chocolate mix gives a whole new flavor! Today I added pineapple chunks and coconut extract to make a pina colada type drink and it is delicious!! Just the little changes that make a huge difference! I get bored easily! :)
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    I hear the protein powder I use - Garden of Life Raw Protein - mixes into yogurt well without changing the taste/texture too much. It's only 80 calories and packs 18g protein.
  • ikittyy
    ikittyy Posts: 1
    Options
    if you like yogurt try Chobani greek yogurt. It has twice the amount of protein of any other yogurt and it tastes great too!
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt has a lot of protein, a lot of times I will make me instant oatmeal and put a scoop of my Whey protein in with it, or I will make me a Shakeology shake.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I also use whey protein powder as my go-to protein boost in the morning...I use silk light and 1 scoop of cookies and cream whey powder with a spoonful of instant coffee for a real morning treat with a little pick-me-up....I believe it has 27 grams of protein but still very low in carbs...
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt or protein shakes would be the easiest and fastest ways to add it in. You could get the Bear Naked peak protein granola and add that into some greek yogurt. That will be packed with protein.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I personally love Chocolate Shakeology w/lite vanilla almond milk and frozen strawberries. Check out my diary for protein and calorie count. Completely satisfies my chocolate craving as well.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt with blueberries? I have that after running.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oats are always a good basis - mix it up with some fruit. Yoghurt is good, and things like shredded wheat with skim milk also has quite a lot of protein. If you are finding it difficult, there's also the option of getting some protein powder and having that with some milk.
  • tah04
    tah04 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've started eating a piece of low calorie whole wheat toast with a little bit of peanut butter for breakfast and that seems to hold me.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Since you don't like the texture/taste of eggs - adding some liquid egg whites to your protein shake may help and you can mask the taste with fruit/protein powder etc.
  • ktshealth
    ktshealth Posts: 21
    Options
    :smile: Every morning I use Jilliam Michaels Whey Protein Powder (1 scoop), 1 cup of non sweetened Almond Milk, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, and one banana and put it in the blender. It's great and keeps me filled up until lunch time.
  • Colleenbow
    Options
    Fat Free Greek Yougurt (individual servings come in vanilla, blueberry, strawberry) Organics section of Store 140 cals 15g protein
    Trim Cottage Cheese (add crushed almonds, and fresh fruit) 90 cals 15g protein
    ThinkThin Peanut Butter Gluten free Protien Bar (Organics section of Store// other flavors**meal replacement) 240 cals 20g protein

All of these have a SIGNIFICANT amount of protein and are low in calories
    some protien powders can cause females to bulk up, I do not use powder because of this!

=] Hope this helps
  • AvocadoLover
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on suggesting smoothies, My favorite morning smoothie recipe: 1.5 frozen bananas, 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop organic raw protein powder, 1 tbsp carob powder, pinch of salt and vanilla. Blend for a creamy delicious treat and great way to start the day.