Strawberries

Options
milaxx
milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
They are sooooo good this summer. I'm eating them like crazy. For lunch today I made a really great strawberry vinaigrette for my salad. It was really simple to make; a tbsp of olive oil, a tsp of pickle juice from the pickles I put in my salad and one strawberry smashed to bits or macerated as the foodies call it.

Anybody else loving strawberries this season? How are you eating them?

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I love them mixed with FFGY and cereal, or in a smoothie. I'm more of a sucker for bananas, however :-)
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have them with plain greek yogurt topped with granola. Mmmmmm....parfait....
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I just like to sprinkle them with Splenda :)
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Totally I eat them with my breakfast plain, flavor is really good!!
  • sjwarren66
    sjwarren66 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've been mixing mine with fresh pineapple and blueberries. Mmmm....
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I been getting ugly, but organic, strawberries from the farmer's market. Just have to pick out the bad stuff. Today I ate the pretty ones my husband bought at the store. I also had some frozen kind tonight on top of ice cream. If you get them from the store, make sure you wash them good. Its hard to get the pesticides out because of the tiny seeds indented. I guess if want, you can cut off the outer layer and just eat the insides.
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I'll cut up a couple of quarts of them and add some water and a half a cup of sugar. I'll eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Oh that sounds incredibily yummy!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The strawberries here were *sob* fantastic this year, too. My two favorite uses were sliced on original FiberOne cereral and skim milk, and the other end of the spectrum - adorned with light whipped topping and a teaspoon (or so) of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Syrup. Evil, I know, but it was a fabulous way to end the day!

Another ten months of waiting for next year's crop. Let the wailing begin!
  • milaxx
    Options
    That sounds good. I don;t eat splenda anyway, and these berries are so good they truly don't need added sugar. I may save the last bit for a fruit salad on Friday. It's a non gym day so I won;t have as many calories to eat and it's too hot for heavy food.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I have strawberry farms all around me. I buy them by the gallon. Love em! :)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I agree -- they are totally good this year!

I have been eating them with Splenda, and sometimes with cottage cheese, and for a special treat, on top of either a Corn Muffin Vita Top or a Chocolate Vita Top and whipped cream. YUM!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ours are soon to be ready in the garden....I mix 'em with non-fat plain yogurt, a few walnut halves, 1 T of flaxseed and maybe some blueberries or half of an orange. Yay for spring!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Me too..that is my favorite.
  • milaxx
    Options
    I have strawberry farms all around me. I buy them by the gallon. Love em! :)
    I am completely jealous of you.
  • milaxx
    Options

Why? they are ridiculously sweet this year and who needs the fake sugar? Seriously, if you get a really good batch try them without the added sweetener. They are fab.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wish... it's winter here and we are getting really good apples but strawberry season is still a way off.
    I eat them any old way, usually just as they are, or with yoghurt and muesli for breakfast.
    I have heard that slicing them and sprinkling with a little bit of balsamic vinegar is very good but I haven't tried this.
  • milaxx
    Options
    I wish... it's winter here and we are getting really good apples but strawberry season is still a way off.
    I eat them any old way, usually just as they are, or with yoghurt and muesli for breakfast.
    I have heard that slicing them and sprinkling with a little bit of balsamic vinegar is very good but I haven't tried this.
    You just reminded me that someone made dried strawberries by slicing them and adding a bit of balsamic and then placing in the oven on 200 until they dried out. Never had them but I wonder what that taste like.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    we havent hit our season yet but cantwait....i plan to hit the fields and stock up!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we havent hit our season yet but cantwait....i plan to hit the fields and stock up!!

what she said! we're close to season, tho. i've had a couple ripe ones from my garden, but really looking forward to season!!