No, you probably didn't gain weight...

13»

Replies

• sfmathews
    sfmathews Posts: 36 Member
    Definitely will refer to this post and the articles down the road when that plateau invariably hits.
    Thanks!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Very good post, bravo!

I definitely agree that there ought to be a newbie 'list of important threads' that could include easy to understand and helpful threads like this one.

If you ate 3500 over your maintenance (and weren't violently ill, :laugh: ) I'd bet you'd actually 'gain' more than a pound, purely from the actual weight gain and all the water you'd hold with the extra sugar and sodium and such in all that extra food.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Nice post! I do want to point out one other variable that you eluded to in one of your responses, but it can make a lot of difference in the numbers. The amount of bodily waste that is retained at any given time will affect what your scale will show you. *Alert potty talk* 1 pint/473ml of urine weighs roughly one pound. Stool is another thing that will change your scale reading.smiley-fart004.gif Ask any old wrestler about that.. A good rule of thumb that not everyone seems to know or follow is to weigh in the morning, AFTER going to the bathroom. Anyway, just wanted to be a part of this awesomeness!! Thanks for posting!!

Man, I am glad I didn't have to be the one to say this. I feel like I do an inordinate amount of pooh preaching around here!
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    thanks for nthe insight.....my scale changes everyday....now i know here is no need to flip out:smile:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    I tell people this all the time and they think I am nuts! Thank you for proving it!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    I can only agree!
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Not only would I like to see this as some sort of "Newbie Reading", I'd like to post this inside the stall door of every ladies' restroom in my office.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Very well stated!! :wink:
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    I inherently know all of this, yet it is good and reafirming to see it in print from someone else. I didn't know the exact figures but I did know there is no way to lose or gain1-2 lbs of anything other than water/waste weight. overnight. I only started weight daily after we got a digital scale. I don't really pay too much attention unless it stays exactly the same for a couple of days or so. I do, however, need to measure this weekend.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    obligatory bump
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Once I figured all this out, everything took a turn for the better!! I no longer "punished" myself for bad days. Well written with two great examples!! Now I;m craving bbq...thanks ;-)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Once I figured all this out, everything took a turn for the better!! I no longer "punished" myself for bad days. Well written with two great examples!! Now I;m craving bbq...thanks ;-)

Bahahah Sorry about that... I actually don't like bbq which is why I put it as the example. lol
  • soshotout
    soshotout Posts: 115
    Thanks for explaining that so well. I have gone from a pretty much sedentary lifestyle to working out regularly and my muscles are certainly feeling it. However, when I peek at the scale, I am seeing an increase instead of a decrease and was beginning to wonder what on earth was going on. I also noticed that since I started with all this exercise, even with the usual 12 plus glasses of water I drink daily, I have not had to pee nearly as much as I used to.
  • bumping great info. :)
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    *BUMP*
  • tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Glad I found this article!! I know Im late, but it really helped!! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.