Can diet soda count as water???

Options
I drink about 3 diet sodas a day.........can any of them count as water cosumed? Also, what about sugar free kool aid/ tea???

Replies

• KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    Options
    I personally wouldn't count any of them. Water is meant to cleanse your body of toxins, all of those are putting toxins in.
  • falonjohle
    falonjohle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    the general rule is anything with caffeine doesn't count
  • doghcr
    doghcr Posts: 1
    Options
    I dont think so. Put in tour journal as food consumed. But water is water. No subs.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it either. While it does have water in it the added things (such as caffeine etc.) can have a dehydrating effect and cancel out the water.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    As a rule for me is if it has sugar, caffeine or sodium it doesn't count
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. As others have stated it is putting toxins into your body and water is designed to flush the toxins out.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Uhm NO. And it causes cancer. Just saying.......
  • mandie26
    mandie26 Posts: 59
    Options
    Soda definitely does not count as water consumed.
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    i guess thats a no
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    No to the diet soda.....
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Uhm NO. And it causes cancer. Just saying.......

^this
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Diet soda mimics sugar... drink it and you crave more. It may also increase cravings for other things bad for you. Water doesn't do this.

Don't forget too that to remove the sugar, they are sticking more salt and other chemicals in there. I've understood these chemicals especially bad for women's bone health. These drinks are not good for us we all know.

I struggle too - especially on 90 degree days after I just finished mowing the lawn - there is nothing I want more than an ice cold diet Pepsi. But still my goal is to keep the ban going and enjoy pure ice water instead.
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    (Shaking my head)... IS it water? No. Count it as soda. I would strongly advise against drinking it, period... but I am not going to go into that. Drink your water. Soda isn't water. Period. You can flavor your water by adding some fresh lime or lemon and a pinch of salt to alkalize. Any of those things like sugar free drinks contain things that are just horrid for your body and really do more damage than good... water is water. Soda is soda.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    No. I would say it, and all sodas, do the opposite of water.
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    As others have said, anything with caffeine doesn't count as water. On a side note, anytime you drink anything with caffeine or sodium, you should add another glass of water to your daily intake to help "flush out" the toxins you've just put in.

Since I'm also a soda drinker, that means 1-2 extra cups of water for every diet soda I drink each day!!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Def not. Water is counted as water. With no additives or flavoring. Just good ol H2O...sodas are bad for you. Diet sodas are worse. The artificial sugars such as aspartame are linked with cancer and carbonation from any soda can cause early osteoperosis as well as screwing with the natural pH of your body.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't count any of them. Water is meant to cleanse your body of toxins, all of those are putting toxins in.
    this
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Yes. It's 99.9% water so it should definitely count. Weight Watchers' official position is that any liquid water should be counted towards your water intake.
  • julzband
    julzband Posts: 5
    Options
    soda is a dehydrant does not count as water, my doctor says no soda, I have been soda free since 12/2010 and I think it makes a difference!1
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist won't even let me count the tea I drink as teas/coffee are diuretics. He said water is water. No add-ins or stir-in flavors, just plain old water.