Consuming Hydrogen Peroxide?!?

Options
This is the first time I've ever heard of 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide'. My co-worker has a friend who owns an acupuncture business and gave her a bottle of this stuff at 35% with an eye dropper. The acupuncturist told her to drink a glass of water every day with one drop of this stuff and then you slowly increase the dosage. Supposedly it’s beneficial to your overall health by killing bacteria and can be used as a 'cancer treatment' or any other type of ‘health therapy’ treatment.

I have read that fruits and veggies and even our body has this stuff naturally and that 35%/50% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide is used in cheese, eggs, and whey products…But still, to me it sounds dangerous and I'm concerned about my co-workers well being. One website says consumption of any concentration of hydrogen peroxide above 10% can cause neurological damage...And 90% hydrogen peroxide is used in rocket fuel! Does it sound very logical to drink this stuff to you?

Has anyone actually done this ‘Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide’ therapy, or has heard of it? Thoughts?

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever heard of 'Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide'. My co-worker has a friend who owns an acupuncture business and gave her a bottle of this stuff at 35% with an eye dropper. The acupuncturist told her to drink a glass of water every day with one drop of this stuff and then you slowly increase the dosage. Supposedly it’s beneficial to your overall health by killing bacteria and can be used as a 'cancer treatment' or any other type of ‘health therapy’ treatment.

I have read that fruits and veggies and even our body has this stuff naturally and that 35%/50% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide is used in cheese, eggs, and whey products…But still, to me it sounds dangerous and I'm concerned about my co-workers well being. One website says consumption of any concentration of hydrogen peroxide above 10% can cause neurological damage...And 90% hydrogen peroxide is used in rocket fuel! Does it sound very logical to drink this stuff to you?

Has anyone actually done this ‘Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide’ therapy, or has heard of it? Thoughts?

Um sounds very scary. Your co worker should do thier research before they even think about doing that....
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that! That's crazy. I would NOT go near it. It could just be a gimmick.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Aside from a little incidental ingestion in some toothpastes, no, I've never heard of people intentionally consuming hydrogen peroxide. Sounds like a stupid idea to me.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    If it's anything like what happened to my dog when I gave her some (she decided to eat some chocolate and the vet said to do so), a spoonful of it caused her to vomit profusely. I would not go near it even if someone paid me for it.

I only use it to clean cuts and abrasion OUTSIDE of my mouth...
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    sounds VERY dangerous!!!!!
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Never heard of that! That's crazy. I would NOT go near it. It could just be a gimmick.

This is what I'm thinking! None of the websites has any reasearch to back anything up and I'm trying hard to persuade my co-worker not to do it, but I fear she will anyways. She says this friend is in her upper 50's and looks 20 years younger than she is.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sounds desperate.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it before but a google search brought this up - seems pretty informative.

http://www.educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    If it's anything like what happened to my dog when I gave her some (she decided to eat some chocolate and the vet said to do so), a spoonful of it caused her to vomit profusely. I would not go near it even if someone paid me for it.

I only use it to clean cuts and abrasion OUTSIDE of my mouth...

Yea, I told her this too. She didn't even know about this trick. But apparently 'food grade' quality is different somehow? With stabilizers or somthing. It's used to treat water I think. But still...I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    There are alternative therapies using food grade hydrogen peroxide but the results are highly controversial and debated. I remember reading about a doctor who did a therapy where he actually injected the stuff into people and claimed great success in curing all kinds of things but the results were conveniently never documented.

I am a person who leans more toward alternative therapies but I am not anti-mainstream medicine. I think they both have a place in keeping me healthy and healing me when I'm sick or injured. That said, I would be EXTREMELY careful and do lots of research before embarking on something of this nature. You don't want to just go drinking something like that without knowing the ramifications of it.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I swish my mouth with hydrogen peroxide. I was instructed to by a doctor though because of mouth sores. He said if it is safe if i accidentally swallow some, but i don't know that i would ever do so by choice....
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I've used Hydrogen peroxide on cuts, and have also used it in my mouth.
    I was informed, that Hydrogen peroxide is only water with an extra molecule of Oxygen.

Water = H20
    Hydrogen peroxide = H2O2

To me it's not dangerous - but can't comment on "food grade stuff"

edit: Just remembered, when I did use H2O2 in my mouth I did dilute it.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidant. We take anti-oxidants for our health. Sounds counter-productive to me. There may be some benefits to it but like anything else we have to weigh the risks vs the benefits. It is not something I would ever try.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, well, first, a drop of 35% into a glass of water isn't that strong (need I do the dilution calculations?)...so I wouldn't expect much of a reaction. But drinking the straight 35% is nasty, simply nasty and irresponsible. The stuff we buy in the brown bottles at WalGreen's is 10% or less.

Anyway, sharing the snopes article on H2O2:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/peroxide.asp

Not that snopes is the authority, but at least they look into it.

I wouldn't touch it.
  • thumper44
    Options
    I've never heard of it before but a google search brought this up - seems pretty informative.

http://www.educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml
    Some good reading there.
    F) 35% Food Grade: This is used in the production of foods like cheese, eggs, and whey-containing products. It is also sprayed on the foil lining of aseptic packages containing fruit juices and milk products. THIS IS THE ONLY GRADE RECOMMENDED FOR INTERNAL USE. It is available in pints, quarts, gallons or even drums. Various suppliers are mentioned later in this article.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I would only ingest it if I were trying to make myself vomit...and even then I don't think it's a good idea. I agree with telling your friend to do a lot more research...maybe get a second professional opinion. Sounds like that guy might be some sort of quack!
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That website, while chock full of information, went nowhere towards making me feel warm and fuzzy about Hydrogen Peroxide therapy. If this information was on any site other than this site I've never heard of maybe it might make a difference. I'd say don't worry about using it in any other application except topical. Scary...
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

I was informed, that Hydrogen peroxide is only water with an extra molecule of Oxygen.

Water = H20
    Hydrogen peroxide = H2O2

That extra oxygen also changes some things in it's reactivity. In chemistry, things aren't usually a case of "just an extra" added to it. Careful what you assume. ;)
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Sorry to add an extra post, but here's a warning letter from the FDA about the 35%:

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2006/ucm076002.htm
  • thumper44
    Options

Water = H20
    Hydrogen peroxide = H2O2

That extra oxygen also changes some things in it's reactivity. In chemistry, things aren't usually a case of "just an extra" added to it. Careful what you assume. ;)

I'm not a chemist, or claim to know a lot about chemistry.

But add one drop of H2O2 to a full glass of H2O?