Insanely frustrated...

Options
I started using MFP August 12, 2008. So I've been on here a little over a month and as you can see by my ticker, I've only lost 4 lbs (and those were all in the first week and a half). Its a very rare occasion that I go over my calories and I'm usually not that far under. I workout for at least 30 mins 5 to 6 days a week. I know I should've taken my measurements when I started, but I actually could not find a tape measure anywhere in my entire apartment (lame excuse, I know). I tried on clothes yesterday that I knew used to be a little too tight but they still seem to fit the same. I'm just so frustrated. I don't know what else to do. You would think I'd be making some progress at least? The scale hasn't moved in three or four weeks! Does anybody have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I just feel like giving up. I've worked so hard and I'm not getting any reward. :sad:

Replies

• SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP August 12, 2008. So I've been on here a little over a month and as you can see by my ticker, I've only lost 4 lbs (and those were all in the first week and a half). Its a very rare occasion that I go over my calories and I'm usually not that far under. I workout for at least 30 mins 5 to 6 days a week. I know I should've taken my measurements when I started, but I actually could not find a tape measure anywhere in my entire apartment (lame excuse, I know). I tried on clothes yesterday that I knew used to be a little too tight but they still seem to fit the same. I'm just so frustrated. I don't know what else to do. You would think I'd be making some progress at least? The scale hasn't moved in three or four weeks! Does anybody have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I just feel like giving up. I've worked so hard and I'm not getting any reward. :sad:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    so....... you've been here a month and 4 pounds gone... that means you've lost about a pound a week. So what's the problem? You need to be patient, you're losing weight, slowly and surely the HEALTHY way. stick with it, keep it up. good job! :drinker:
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    If I'm really just being impatient (that's definitely possible) how come three of the four pounds lost were gone in the first week?
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    Another thing you need to keep in mind is that you dont have alot to loose. It is going to come off slowly. You cant compare yourself to people who have 50, 60 or even 100 pounds to loose. If you loose it healthy and slowly then it is also more likely to stay off! Be patient! I have had to learn that myself and I have alot more to loose.

Amy
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It often comes off that way. Next week you may be down 3 again. I lost 115 pounds about 3 years ago, and you ultimately will lose what you should, but it goes in spurts. Keep an eye on your loss for the previous 4 weeks if that number stalls, you might want to try something new.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    SuzieQT~ You are doing things right... Keep track of calories, don't get below and NO BEATING YOURSELF UP. You are doing what is exactly expected - you are losing weight at the 1-2 pound per week ratio. You have to just keep in mind, unlike me, you don't have much to drop. You have a fraction to drop in comparison to others, so your progress should not be as rapid. No frownin' QT!
  • Canelitas
    Options
    I'm not a Trainer, so I'm not sure, but maybe it is because the last few pounds are harder to loose, Maybe you need to update your profile...or maybe it's the calorie intake, I'm not sure, Hopefully someone who is more experience can help in that area...Wish you the Best :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    If I'm really just being impatient (that's definitely possible) how come three of the four pounds lost were gone in the first week?

Well the thing is when you are as small as you are (I mean you're not OBESE, you just want 20ish pounds off right?) 3 lbs of fat lost in a week really isn't going to happen. I'm guessing that was water weight, or mostly water weight. The fact that it has stayed gone probably means that you have lost 4 lbs of fat over time. So the weight balanced out... does that make sense? Also, if it makes you feel any better, it took me 2 weeks to lose my first pound..... and 2 more weeks to lose my next 2 pounds... And I started out a lot larger than you are so it should have come off faster. Now, some weeks I lose nothing, I had a stretch not long ago where I went 3 weeks with no change. Other weeks I have lost up to 4 pounds. You just have to stick with it. Try not to rush it, it'll come off! :flowerforyou:
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    SuzieQT~ You are doing things right... Keep track of calories, don't get below and NO BEATING YOURSELF UP. You are doing what is exactly expected - you are losing weight at the 1-2 pound per week ratio. You have to just keep in mind, unlike me, you don't have much to drop. You have a fraction to drop in comparison to others, so your progress should not be as rapid. No frownin' QT!

::gives self a hug::
    I guess what's really frustrating me is that I know when I did it the wrong way the pounds came off faster. Nobody ever said the right way would be easy though! Thanks for helping me turn my frown upside down lol.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    One, as all have said already, you don't have a lot to lose, so it will be very slow.

Two, have you considered toning and seeing how that works--maybe you need toning more than weight loss?

three, how much are you eating a day in calories? Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • SuzieQT
    Options

Well the thing is when you are as small as you are (I mean you're not OBESE, you just want 20ish pounds off right?) 3 lbs of fat lost in a week really isn't going to happen. I'm guessing that was water weight, or mostly water weight. The fact that it has stayed gone probably means that you have lost 4 lbs of fat over time. So the weight balanced out... does that make sense? Also, if it makes you feel any better, it took me 2 weeks to lose my first pound..... and 2 more weeks to lose my next 2 pounds... And I started out a lot larger than you are so it should have come off faster. Now, some weeks I lose nothing, I had a stretch not long ago where I went 3 weeks with no change. Other weeks I have lost up to 4 pounds. You just have to stick with it. Try not to rush it, it'll come off! :flowerforyou:

That makes a lot of sense and makes me feel better too. I just need to be patient. That's probably gonna be harder for me than sticking with my new routine lol! :laugh:
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    One, as all have said already, you don't have a lot to lose, so it will be very slow.

Two, have you considered toning and seeing how that works--maybe you need toning more than weight loss?

three, how much are you eating a day in calories? Are you eating your exercise calories?

MFP recommends I get 1300 calories a day and most days I burn at least 300 to 500 calories working out according to my heart rate monitor. I always make sure to eat at least my allotted 1300 and most days I'm closer to 1500. I usually do some weight lifting at the gym and an ab workout video three days a week after my 30 min blast on the elliptical.
  • kerrilucko
    Options

That makes a lot of sense and makes me feel better too. I just need to be patient. That's probably gonna be harder for me than sticking with my new routine lol! :laugh:

Once you've been here a little longer you'll find that you're more patient and more knowledgable about how YOU lose weight. Of course everyone's different. SOme lose in spurts, nothing for a month and then wham! 3 lbs gone in a couple days. Others lose slowly but surely a half pound or so every single week. But either way you'll lose it just don't give up, and we are all here to help you! :drinker:
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    another thing you can do is increase the intensity of your workouts. YOur body only begins to burn stored fat after 20 minutes in your target cardio heartrate. So a 30 minute workout is really only burning stored fat for 5 minutes or so. The other 25 minutes you're burning the energy from the calories you've consumed that day. I would say try to increase your workouts to 45 minutes. And try interval training. For example, if you walk on the treadmill, add in a couple running spurts. Walk 5 minutes, run 1 minutes; walk 2.5 minutes, run 30 seconds... something to get your heatbeat up.

But you really shouldn't beat yourself up. You are on the right track.
  • shorerider
    Options

MFP recommends I get 1300 calories a day and most days I burn at least 300 to 500 calories working out according to my heart rate monitor. I always make sure to eat at least my allotted 1300 and most days I'm closer to 1500. I usually do some weight lifting at the gym and an ab workout video three days a week after my 30 min blast on the elliptical.

Are you eating your exercise calories? Because if not, you're not eating as much as you think.

And, 1300 is probably too low for you. HOw much did you select to lose per week? Because at your current weight, you should probably be looking at losing no more than 1/2 to 1 pound per week.

given the small amount you wish to lose, and your age, you might want to bump up your calories. I know it seems to make no sense to do that but many on here can testify that they were eating too little and once they bumped up, they begin to lose more.

You might benefit from reading the 2 posts linked below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal
  • SuzieQT
    Options

Are you eating your exercise calories? Because if not, you're not eating as much as you think.

And, 1300 is probably too low for you. HOw much did you select to lose per week? Because at your current weight, you should probably be looking at losing no more than 1/2 to 1 pound per week.

given the small amount you wish to lose, and your age, you might want to bump up your calories. I know it seems to make no sense to do that but many on here can testify that they were eating too little and once they bumped up, they begin to lose more.

You might benefit from reading the 2 posts linked below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal
    I read both those posts and yes I am eating my exercise calories (almost all of them usually). I set my goal at 1.5 lbs per week, which might be too high as you suggested. I also checked out my BMI as the posts suggested and I'm right in the middle of the high category. I set my goal at 25 lbs to lose which should get me right in the edge of the healthy BMI. I didn't want to set my goal too high because I was afraid I'd fail. When I was in high school I saw a nutritionist because I weighed 220 lbs and she said that my ideal weight should be around 150 lbs (which would put me right in the middle of healthy BMI range). I currently weigh 181 lbs and I set my goal for 160 lbs. So should I eat more? Change my per week goal? Or change my overall goal?
    Thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I would really suggest setting your goal for 1/2 pound or 1 pound week--1 pound is the recommended per week rate by doctors (even mine told me that and I've got ALOT to lose yet!). Your body may be holding onto stuff in trying to simply function.

As for how much to weigh--that depends upon your height, sex, and body frame really. And, if a professional has already given you an amount, then it's probably a good one to shoot for. How tall are you? Do you have a small frame, large, medium??

Also, have you tried doing some toning? I mean, by just looking at the photos you've got on your profile, you look great already. Some toning might be a big help, like I said earlier, more than losing a set number of pounds.

Oh, and btw, you're doing great! 4 pounds in a month is wonderful-might not seem like it but I went a month and lost 8/10 of a pound :explode: so rejoice!

And, I'm not a doctor or professional, just so you know, but someone who in the past has tried most of it and now am trying it the old fashioned way.
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    Well thanks! :smooched: I'm 5'8" naturally curvy and I've got a pretty average frame I think. My boyfriend always tells me I wouldn't be overweight if I didn't wear a D cup and have baby making hips lol. I think I'm going to try decreasing my per week goal and see if it helps any. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    it took me almost 2 months to lose anything, so hang in there! one thing that I found for me that really worked was to stick to an eating schedule. I would bring X amount of food to work, and I would eat every 2 hours, saving calories for dinner and a snack.

its important to eat consistently. sometimes I would skip eating a snack in the afternoon, and found myself overeating way too much at dinner. its all about routine, sticking to your calories, and just sticking with your goal. if you are honest about what you are eating and the exercise you do, the weight will definitely come off, just give it time.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    another thing to consider is that when it's that time of the month, you weigh in heavier than usual...I would wait a week and a half after you are due to weigh in...that will be more accurate. I am finding that I have been losing a pound a week and I have about the same to lose as you...slow and steady wins the race....but I do understand how frustrating this can be...