Insanely frustrated...

Options

Replies

• heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Relax. It isn't likely you gained weight overnight, so it isn't likely that you will lose it overnight.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Well thanks! :smooched: I'm 5'8" naturally curvy and I've got a pretty average frame I think. My boyfriend always tells me I wouldn't be overweight if I didn't wear a D cup and have baby making hips lol. I think I'm going to try decreasing my per week goal and see if it helps any. Thanks for the suggestion!

Check out this site--it's got a "ideal body weight" calculator that uses body frame size. It seems to agree with many others I've used. It also tells you how to measure your body frame and it's simple!

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I am with you girl- I just posted about this to someone else's post- you are not alone but I just try to stay focused on health and healthy choices.
    I have lost before in an unhealthy way and gave up a lot of muscle and energy. I want the muscle and I want to do it correctly now so it make take us a little while.

I have been on here for months!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heya beautiful... just keep on keeping on! :flowerforyou: In another thread (plz don't ask me for the link *giggle*) our resident expert Banks said that the last 20 pounds could take SEVERAL months to come off! So, yeah, I totally understand about being impatient, but even a big ol obese guy like me hasta lose it right... which means slowly (even if I want it all off right now dammit *giggle*). But what we're doing ISN'T a diet, or a pill, or a magic wand. We didn't get into this particular place overnight, and we're not gonna get into that fit condition we all crave so badly overnight either. Luvya and hugz!
  • mamakitty
    Options
    I also have 20 pounds to lose. I know that it will take me a while because of that. But I have found that if I really up my weight lifting I don't lose weight right a way, but I can see the difference in tone. I can see the definition of my muscles. My clothes start to fit better. Then eventually the weight starts to drop. The more muscle mass you build burns more calories at rest.
    I have found that increasing my weight lifting doesn't necessarily mean increasing the time as much as increasing the intensity and changing the type of exercise. I try to lift three sets at a weight that I can not do more that 10 reps for each set. Make sure you are lifting enough weight and that it feels like you really have to work to finish your reps.
    Good luck and don't give up.
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    Honestly I did not read all of the posts to you but I did read some of them and hear is what I was told -- Even when you are walking on the treadmill or useing a machine of any kind for that matter - but especailly when weight training you r are still going to gain muscle weight! and guess what they are not joking when they say it weighs more than fat -- when I started working out with my husband I put on 5 pounds!!!! in one week and I was sooo sad about it -- but my trainer decided to take a measurment or my body fat even though it was only a week and guess what ---YEP down 2.5%!!! in one week -- and my clothing did not fit any different! I think you may just be gaining muscle and after you gain the muscle you need for the work out you are doing , it will start burning more cals and you we see a huge difference!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to burst some bubbles here for the sake of science and the truth.

First, no one can gain 5 lbs of muscle in a week, or even a month, without the use of steroids. No one can gain even a lb of muscle in a week, and a lb of muscle in a month is an astounding achievement for a young male full of testosterone eating 300 extra calories a day to gain muscle without gaining body fat. It just doesn't happen that fast, because the hormones associated with muscle growth don't act that quickly. This is especially true in females who have extremely low levels of testosterone and GH in comparison to men. Obviously, if you're restricting calories, you won't gain any muscle mass. You'll lose it, and no amount of lifting will prevent that. Your strength may increase due to neurological factors, but anywhere from 10-50% of your weight loss will come from muscle mass. It's about the caloric restriction, not the lifting.

Second, exercise does piddly squat for fat loss. In fact, when you compare a plan with diet and exercise versus just the diet (meaning a restricted calorie plan), diet and exercise results in a whopping .6 lb loss more than diet alone. You can't expect exercise to do anything for you in terms of fat loss unless you're training for about 90 minutes a day at the highest intensity you can withstand for that duration (or you train for marathons). It will improve other aspects of your health, but once again, it's about calories, not exercise.

This is a discouraging conclusion I have come to at this point in my educational career, and though I certainly didn't want to admit it, the evidence supporting it is astounding.

So, your weight loss is totally normal. We aren't made to drop pounds like crazy, we are made to hold onto them for dear life. Play with your calories, because that's the only thing that'll make a difference.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I remember when i was in early 30s and needed to lose 20 lbs. it took me around 16 wks and a LOT of cardio. :tongue: Give it time.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Second, exercise does piddly squat for fat loss. In fact, when you compare a plan with diet and exercise versus just the diet (meaning a restricted calorie plan), diet and exercise results in a whopping .6 lb loss more than diet alone. You can't expect exercise to do anything for you in terms of fat loss unless you're training for about 90 minutes a day at the highest intensity you can withstand for that duration (or you train for marathons). It will improve other aspects of your health, but once again, it's about calories, not exercise.

Yes, from what I've read too, unless you exercise a lot (which I do), it won't help your weight loss all that much. It will tone you and develop muscle, which will give an increase in metabolism, too, which in turn aids weight loss.

HOWEVER, please don't anyone be discouraged from exercising!

It is part of the overall journey to health!

Because that it what this should be about, not just "weight loss" but becoming a "healthy you"--otherwise, we all might as well give up, sign up for "Biggest Loser--Team Edition" as the MFP Gang, and go for it

But then again, who wants to spend 10 days eating no solid foods and urinating blood, right??
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Yes, from what I've read too, unless you exercise a lot (which I do), it won't help your weight loss all that much. It will tone you and develop muscle, which will give an increase in metabolism, too, which in turn aids weight loss.

HOWEVER, please don't anyone be discouraged from exercising!

It is part of the overall journey to health!

Because that it what this should be about, not just "weight loss" but becoming a "healthy you"--otherwise, we all might as well give up, sign up for "Biggest Loser--Team Edition" as the MFP Gang, and go for it

But then again, who wants to spend 10 days eating no solid foods and urinating blood, right??

Oh of course, I didn't mean NOT to exercise. I meant we can't think "I work out so much, why aren't I losing?"

As far as an increase in muscle...it just doesn't happen with a caloric deficit. We can prevent a big loss of LBM by eating enough, but exercise alone doesn't actually prevent the loss of LBM (which is why it's SO important to eat enough).
  • shorerider
    Options
    Oh of course, I didn't mean NOT to exercise. I meant we can't think "I work out so much, why aren't I losing?"

As far as an increase in muscle...it just doesn't happen with a caloric deficit. We can prevent a big loss of LBM by eating enough, but exercise alone doesn't actually prevent the loss of LBM (which is why it's SO important to eat enough).

I gotta disagree based on personal experience. I have gained muscle with a deficit. My legs are developing incredible muscles. Almost scary to feel my thigh muscles and think what they'll look like once the fat's gone. Not sure if that's what you mean or not though--your scientist talks makes my head go round sometimes. :tongue:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I gotta disagree based on personal experience. I have gained muscle with a deficit. My legs are developing incredible muscles. Almost scary to feel my thigh muscles and think what they'll look like once the fat's gone. Not sure if that's what you mean or not though--your scientist talks makes my head go round sometimes. :tongue:

That's a combination of neurological development and fat loss. The fat loss allows you to better see the pre-existing muscles under the skin. The neurological development allows you to recruit more muscles during contraction, so they feel harder and more dense. But you still have the same number of muscle cells and they're still the same size with the exception of sometimes being swollen with glycogen. You just won't gain pounds from added muscle in a deficit.
  • shorerider
    Options
    You just won't gain pounds from added muscle in a deficit.

I hope not! I do know that muscle doesn't "weigh" more than fat but is more dense than fat. And, I also know that I will gain or at least maintain for a day or so or week (:angry: ) after a weight training work-out. I finally learned that's because one can retain fluid after weight training.

Which is why I've scaled those back now to only once every week or even once every 2 weeks. I want to lose some more fat first before starting to really "tone." Plus, the cycling works the legs more than enough for that part of the body.

Now, tell me, when do you start studying pre-men women and their physiology and weight loss conundrums because have I got some questions for you then!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You just won't gain pounds from added muscle in a deficit.

I hope not! I do know that muscle doesn't "weigh" more than fat but is more dense than fat. And, I also know that I will gain or at least maintain for a day or so or week (:angry: ) after a weight training work-out. I finally learned that's because one can retain fluid after weight training.

Which is why I've scaled those back now to only once every week or even once every 2 weeks. I want to lose some more fat first before starting to really "tone." Plus, the cycling works the legs more than enough for that part of the body.

Now, tell me, when do you start studying pre-men women and their physiology and weight loss conundrums because have I got some questions for you then!

Our weight fluctuations have a TON to do with glycogen. The harder we work, and the more depleted we get, the more we can store. You can store LOADS since you bike for so long, and that all has to bind to water, so it's more retention than you'd get from just the diet. So glycogen/water+water retention+food weight+waste= huge changes in weight for no apparent reason. It's not fat or muscle, it's just that you have become really excellent at storing the fuel you need to bike for so long.

To reap the benefits of resistance training, you do have to do it at least twice a week. Once a week is the equivalent of pretty much not doing it at all because you will detrain from one week to the next. Water retention isn't fun, but neither is osteopoenia. If you're over 30, you're losing bone density each day. Don't do it to increase muscle definition--do it to maintain your bone mass.

I have already learned about women's 'life changes' haha...I can answer your Q's to the best of my ability. :smile:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I have already learned about women's 'life changes' haha...I can answer your Q's to the best of my ability. :smile:

Oh boy! excited.gif

going have to get a list together!

Well, don't have THAT many but it has certainly made all this even more frustrating and aggravating!

Beddie-bye time for this old woman now though. I might PM you tomorrow!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Oh boy! excited.gif

going have to get a list together!

Well, don't have THAT many but it has certainly made all this even more frustrating and aggravating!

Beddie-bye time for this old woman now though. I might PM you tomorrow!

Sounds good, I have to study for my physiology quiz Thurs :sick:
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Now I'm just confused. :noway:
    Eat more? Eat less? Eat the same?
    Do more cardio? Do more strength training?
    I feel very unsure about my entire routine now....
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

Hey there!!! How are you feeling today???

So...Here's what someone told me. A sweet guy friend.
    He said that my current plan isn't working right? So try something new, and just do it.

Eat enough food so your body can function correctly. You wouldn't put 1 gallon of gas in your car each day right? Because wouldn't your car not run as well? If at all? So give your body enough food! Fuel that machine so you can function correctly and it will run smoothly.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

I think I agree with you. They just confused me more. I guess I will just continue to do what I am doing. I am losing weight.

Connie
  • shorerider
    Options

I think I agree with you. They just confused me more. I guess I will just continue to do what I am doing. I am losing weight.

Connie

Guys, ignore most of what me and songbyrd were discussing--sorry! It was addressing my situation in particular more than others in general really.

Just exercise, burn calories, keep to MFP's guidelines, and you'll be ok!