I'm Embarrassed to Lose Weight

Options
I need to know if I am the only one who feels like this.

I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy, but I am embarrassed to tell people how much I have lost or that I'm even losing weight. I am so ashamed of how heavy I let myself get and I don't really want people to know that I've lost 61 lbs but have another 50 lbs to lose. It's embarrassing.

Does anyone else out there feel the same way I do?

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Kind of. But why tell them? :smile:

"Thanks for noticing my commitment to my health. I'm very proud of my accomplishments." Leave it at that :wink:
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    Totally. I don't talk numbers because I'm embarassed of the numbers.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of the fact that you are getting yourself healthy!! :flowerforyou:
    And you don't need to tell anyone a number at all! If someone asks you how much you lost, say, "I don't know; I'm not weighing myself. I just want to focus on being healthy"! Or something like that!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So just don't advertise it to everyone. Just do it on your own. Then when you get to the weight you want, you'll probably WANT to tell people about it at that point because you'll be proud of yourself. And if you still don't want ppl to know, whatev. Your life, right? Do what you want, the whole world doesn't have to know.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your weight loss thus far! You've done wonders! Why aren't you giving yourself credit for that?

I'm sure that your loss is very noticeable, and others are probably commenting, and asking you questions? I think maybe the best way to avoid the topic is to respond "I am making some changes, thank you for asking" and then change the subject. Rinse and repeat if the nosey butts keep asking!

I'm wondering if you might consider reframing your attitude towards yourself some here? Are you avoiding attention for some reason? Why are you embarrassed about the well-done hard work you have put in? Don't sell yourself short here. Think on the positive changes you have made.

But all in all, it is NOBODY's business but your own. And lean on us to help you as you continue your weight loss!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to this specific issue, but I can tell you that we all have things we wish were different, things we are not happy with. Things that we've done to ourselves and others. Some are easy to see. Some are hidden. It's better to not dwell on our "failings" but focus on how we are turning them around and who we are now. And you've shown extraordinary strength and perserverance in turning your health around!
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I felt like this at the beginning... And certainly, if you don't feel comfortable telling people, then don't.

I had set out to lose 82 pounds... I'm down 44. My goal weight is 160, which means I started at 242. I feel horrible about that starting weight... but you know what, I'm not there anymore! I've made a conscious decision to change.

Once I hit the 20-pound mark, I was proud of the large numbers... and I kept getting prouder and prouder as I moved up to 25, 30, 35, 40 pounds. It's a BIG DEAL!!! For me personally, I found motivation in sharing my success with others. Others have since been motivated by Lil' Ole ME to start their own journeys. And now we all cheer one another on!

But everyone's mind works differently. If you still feel subconscious about it, then be descreet about what you share with others. :-)
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Be proud of what you have accomplished.

Truthfully, they already know that you are overweight and those that matter will encourage you and motivate you to be successful.

I'm embarrassed that I let myself go, but I am proud of the fact that I have lost 40+ pounds and I want people to know how hard I am working to lose the next 40. I also hope that I can motivate and encourage others that yes this is a hard journey but you can do it, if you are willing to take the time and put the work in to do it.
  • GGMarie1501
    Options
    You both have accomplished alot. You have to be a hundred percent dedicated to this to be successful. Way to go!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    It's a very personal, private and emotional journey... you don't have to share it with anyone you don't want to! :flowerforyou:
  • CJ118
    CJ118 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Totally understand how you feel. I've lost 36lbs and have roughly 60 more to go and don't like telling people how much I want all together. Many congrats on your weight loss so far, and can't wait to see the before and after pics once you reach your final goal weight......:smile:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I feel conflicted on the issue - I am pround and want to tell them about my hard work, but at the same time, very embarrassed about where I let myself go
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I used to feel the same way so I did the very opposite and started a weight loss blog. It was very embarrassing for me to put how much I weighed, especially at the start before I had lost any weight. However, as the pounds came off it really became liberating. Also, I was able to help other people and I think people really appreciate me being open and honest about where I was. I currently weigh 241 lbs and I will tell anyone. 241 lbs is still 61 lbs overweight for me and some people would never admit they weighed it but I am proud of it! I have lost 69 lbs!

I would encourage you to celebrate the amazing success you have had. YOU ARE OVER HALF WAY THERE!!! You ARE an inspiration to everyone who can read your story!!
  • BIccan1959
    BIccan1959 Posts: 10
    Options
    maysflower - you should not be embarrassed for working on making yourself healthier. Be proud of how much you have already accomplished & continue to make yourself the person you want to be. As another person who is "ashamed of how heavy I let myself get" - I can't wait to shout it from the rooftops that I've lost 50 pounds or more. You've done an awesome job so far - so please, please, please - don't give up & don't be embarassed.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I am very uncomfortable when people comment on my weight. I have lost a lot, but I am still overweight and need to lose a lot more!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from ... I am the same way. You won't see my start weight on here or my goal weight ... actually not even clothes sizes for the same reason. Sad ... I know, but I can't help it.

I know I should be happy for getting healthy too, but I can't help it.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I need to know if I am the only one who feels like this.

I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy, but I am embarrassed to tell people how much I have lost or that I'm even losing weight. I am so ashamed of how heavy I let myself get and I don't really want people to know that I've lost 61 lbs but have another 50 lbs to lose. It's embarrassing.

Does anyone else out there feel the same way I do?

I read an article not to long ago and it stated that peole stick with losing weight and exercising better if they don't tell anyone. Remember, you are doing this for YOU and sometimes having people begin to notice by their own eyes after a little while that you are indeed becoming healthier, just may be really rewarding. People can also be jerks too and they don't even realize it by not complementing once in awhile or giving you crap for eating something that isn't considered healthy when they do know you're trying to lose weight and get healthy. JUST DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Yup. I didn't tell my hubby my weight for months and months. But just Monday I let it out. Accountability, and all that jazz. It made me cry to say my weight out loud. Afterwards (much later), he said that he probably would have guessed it at that, so it's not like I was really fooling anyone.

But you don't have to go spewing numbers to just anyone. You can just say things like "yup, I've been working really hard and I'm not done yet", or "thanks, still working on it". People can see that you're doing great even if they don't know the numbers.

Geep goin' girl - you're AWESOME!!
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Congrats on losing the weight and making and maintaining the commitment! If it is personal then don't feel like you have to share. I'm sure if you tell someone that you'd rather not discuss it they will drop the topic.

Keep going, you're doing great!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Concentrate on how great you feel. When you feel good, & you look good, it comes across in your attitude. People gravitate toward happy, positive people. If you act like you feel bad, & you're embarrassed by how much weight you've lost, then other people will see it.

Be PROUD. Hold your head up high, and LOVE yourself. You've worked VERY hard to get where you are today, & you've proven to yourself that you can get to where you want to be. Hold THAT thought when people ask how much you've lost. Don't worry about how much you still want to lose, because that may change when muscle mass increases. Focus on what's GONE, not what's left.

You're doing AWESOME. You should be SO proud of what you've accomplished! 61lbs is AMAZING! Screw what anyone else thinks, because if they're not proud of you, they don't respect you for your hard work & dedication. :happy: