"Skinny B!tch"

Options
Im intrested to find out if anyone has read the book Skinny *****. Im considering challenging myself to be meat-free for atleast a month soon & want to read the book first & would like feedback from anyone who has already read it :)

Replies

• allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for going meat free?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I'm curious too?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I don't buy into going meat free for a second. There's a lot of great stuff you can add to your diet that you can only get from meat. It's all about eating lean meat and watching what you eat.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

x3

Also, Cris, please read my response/apology in the thread about....sugar? I can't remember. Lol
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I don't buy into going meat free for a second. There's a lot of great stuff you can add to your diet that you can only get from meat. It's all about eating lean meat and watching what you eat.

I agree!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it but I know some people regard it as the gospel! I'm interested in the replies.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The book is more about being Vegan than Vegetarian. I am meat free for 3 years now. I can't handle Vegan though. It is an interesting read but I wouldn't suggest buying it. There is not a lot of new info. Mainly goes over how cruel animals are treated and how poor the conditions are they are raised in. You can watch the documentary Food Inc and find out the same info. Hope this helped!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I am veggie and have read it ... they are not just veggie, they are straight up vegan. The have some pretty strong opinions but it's an interesting read.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've read it. It's an interesting read, but the part about slaughter houses is not for those with a weak stomach. I read it, tried to incorporate some changes, and took it with a grain of salt. I didn't cut meat out completely, but I did cut it down to about 5 times a week, and red meat only once. I already didn't drink milk, so that part didn't really change much. All in all, it was interesting but I don't follow it.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I thought about it too, until I found out it was just basically a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. Sorry, I like my meat!! A lot of my friends have given up red meat because of that book though.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I love Bethanny Frankel....I looked at the book (skimmed through it) at barnes and nobles and it seems pretty delicious....going meat free is an option everyone is allowed to have, sure your body benifits from it, but you can get those benifits from eating veggies too.....I took most meat out for a little bit a while back just because i noticed i would fill up on meat and barely eat any of my veggies
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Own it, and Skinny B*tch in the Kitch.

Totally changed my life.

I quit meat, dairy, and eggs cold turkey. Recently I've added back in limited diary - but, only because I can't get away from cheese when we go out to eat. I will NEVER eat meat again. Ever. And Eggs just gross me out. I never really liked them to begin with.

Following a vegetarian - nearly vegan diet, I've lost a total of 50lbs in just under a year, (19 of which since joining MFP) - AND dropped my cholesterol from 340 to the low 100's. In a year. No medication. Conservative exercise. I had blockages in arteries that have disappeared. My skin is clearer. I have more energy, my hair and nails are nicer. My mood is so much better!

I've learned that the Calcium and Protein the USDA says you need are myths, and you sure as hell don't get them from meats and dairy! Reading those books actually helped me decide on a major in school as well, and now I'm studying nutrition and medical research.

People don't realize the enormous impact that food, specifically food that humans were not meant to eat (or at least not in the huge quantities we eat them in now) has on the body...

Other GREAT reads:

The China Study, Eating Animals, Food Matters... Just to name a few.
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    I have read it. They talk about a lot of the things you see in the movie Food Inc. The horror of the slaughter houses. The authors not only recommend you go vegetarian but go fully vegan. I believe in being educated about the food you are eating but I don't think it means you have to be vegetarian or vegan. We buy our meats from a local butcher/meat market where their meats are all from local, grass fed, animals. And during farmer's market season we buy as many of our fruits and veggies from there.
    If no one wants to read that book then I definitely recommend watching Food Inc.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have read it. They talk about a lot of the things you see in the movie Food Inc. The horror of the slaughter houses. The authors not only recommend you go vegetarian but go fully vegan. I believe in being educated about the food you are eating but I don't think it means you have to be vegetarian or vegan. We buy our meats from a local butcher/meat market where their meats are all from local, grass fed, animals. And during farmer's market season we buy as many of our fruits and veggies from there.
    If no one wants to read that book then I definitely recommend watching Food Inc.

Exactly. There are plenty of options if you want to buy humane. You can find free roam, grass fed, anti-biotic free, or organic in any supermarket in the country now. The humane choices are out there for those who want to still eat meat but care about where it comes from.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I try my best to eat local organic and raw milk is amazing.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options

Exactly. There are plenty of options if you want to buy humane. You can find free roam, grass fed, anti-biotic free, or organic in any supermarket in the country now. The humane choices are out there for those who want to still eat meat but care about where it comes from.

Yes, you are exactly right, but if veggie is something she wants to try, that is her decision. Just sayin ...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

x3

Also, Cris, please read my response/apology in the thread about....sugar? I can't remember. Lol

I did, and replied (and thanks for that again) =D.

To the OP...if it's a lifestyle thing...that's cool. I was wondering if it was a dietary thing is all.

Cris
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Personally, I didn't care for the language. It was a little over the top. I don't offend really easily, but I thought the approach was overdone.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you just want a challenge I'd try going sugar or wheat free for a month. They are thing that are actually bad for your body.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Personally, I didn't care for the language. It was a little over the top. I don't offend really easily, but I thought the approach was overdone.

For me, the language and the direct "in-your-face" approach was why I enjoyed it. There are so many books out there on various eating life styles, this one is quite different. They say what basically needs to be said. No nonsense and no sugar coating. I did go vegan for awhile, and it wasn't so much to lose weight, but to watch goes in my mouth and to be more self conscious of where I buy my food. I felt AMAZING going vegan. And yes...I got plenty of protein. I went back to eating meat, but I buy from local butchers and farmer's markets.