Just need to vent

Options

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Ironic that shorts are 'not appropriate' when a shirt the same length or even shorter would not be questioned. All this stiff shirt need to just take a pill, short a perfectly fine office attire. The only case I can think where they might not be appropriate is if you had to meet clients. Otherwise it is not a 'given' that short are not acceptable. I am an IT worker though and we wear pretty much anything we want. :laugh:
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think that is so stupid....are skirts allowed? It's really the same thing, both show off a little leg right? I could see if you were wearing short jean shorts....but you said they were nice dress shorts. Oh well...brush it off and don't let it bother you.
    Kim
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think that is so stupid....are skirts allowed? It's really the same thing, both show off a little leg right? I could see if you were wearing short jean shorts....but you said they were nice dress shorts. Oh well...brush it off and don't let it bother you.
    Kim

i understand what you're saying, but i disagree. my office is the same thing. business casual during the week and casual on fridays, but i would never wear shorts to work.
  • JoyK76
    JoyK76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Having some experience in HR I would have to agree that shorts are not appropriate for work unless otherwise specified. If they are long (and I mean to the knee) and perhaps worn with hose of some sort but generally not even considered 'business casual'. Unfortunately what you have going on is some "loop holes" that your HR and/or employee handbook never actually addressed; and it should be addressed. If shorts were strictly off limits, then it needed to be dictated as such in the handbook. I cannot agree more that tank tops, flip flops and/or sweat pants of any kind should NOT be considered "business casual' but unfortunately you were the one that was singled out. I would address this concern with your HR and express your concern for perhaps more specifics to be outlined/detailed in a revision to your handbook. Also, and I know this isnt going to help you, but take comfort in the fact that you are probably in a lot better place with your wardrobe and consideration of being classy than the other people that would even THINK about wearing sweats to work.

When in doubt, ask. Now days even women who wear very STRONG perfume can become a hardship in the workplace. The employee manual is used as a basic guideline but unfortunately cannot anticipate each and every situation that may occur. With that being said, an employee should not be penalized should an infraction occur and it was not addressed by the handbook, but it SHOULD be something for HR to consider adding into future revisions to the manual.

I'm sorry that you were embarrassed by this....but as I said, take comfort in the fact that your wardrobe and consideration and thought into what you wore that day obviously FAR exceeded those that would represent the company in flip flops and sweat pants.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    But you're male... they make dress shorts for women. Made from the same material as dress slacks. And they are usually longer than regular shorts and even some skirts.
    They probably cover more tush than skirts!
    Kim

i understand what you're saying, but i disagree. my office is the same thing. business casual during the week and casual on fridays, but i would never wear shorts to work.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Its kind of a given that shorts are not ok. Well, now you know for next time.

I agree! Hand test is OK for school but work is totally different, NOR is a skirt that would be that short. The reason that "Sweats" are Ok is that they are far less revealing. Some may have considered "shorts" somewhat provocative...a workplace always has a few guys who just have to comment or touch, and before you know it "Hostile Work Environment" allegations, if not that day, maybe down the line. As a person who supervises others, believe Me, this type of stuff "Brews" over a period of time, starting with something as simple as wearing "shorts" to work. What about Capris...wouldn't that work?
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to not say something. If you have NO dresscode...and you aren't wearing shorts up your rear..then why would it not be ok? If they want you to wear specific casual things, than they need to write it in their handbook. The thing that irritates me about this is....if you were wearing a skirt the same length, would they say anything? Were they bermuda style shorts? Did HR even see what you were wearing? Granted it's not like you got in trouble or anything...but I generally would believe it means that someone somewhere couldn't fathom you wearing them and went to HR....

But that's just me. I see too much of this garbage at my own job.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Its kind of a given that shorts are not ok. Well, now you know for next time.

I have to disagree with you. There are dress shorts that are appropriate for work. Professional,knee length, pressed and work attire. Someone had to be a ****and report her.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's simple- you work with some hags who are jealous of how fabulous you look in your shorts. If you catch someone looking your way and eyeing your shorts, make sure and mention that you've lost weight recently...or that you couldn't fit into those shorts previously...or something else that would fill them even more with envy. After all, that's why they reported you in the first place...because they are jealous!

I would also mention something to HR about what the handbook says.

And no, it's not a given that shorts aren't allowed in the workplace. I've worked in finance/banking for years...and I know of several execs wearing shorts.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAHAH HAGS!!!
    It's simple- you work with some hags who are jealous of how fabulous you look in your shorts. If you catch someone looking your way and eyeing your shorts, make sure and mention that you've lost weight recently...or that you couldn't fit into those shorts previously...or something else that would fill them even more with envy. After all, that's why they reported you in the first place...because they are jealous!

And no, it's not a given that shorts aren't allowed in the workplace. I've worked in finance/banking for years...and I know of several execs wearing shorts.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    my workplace is super vague too! We have some girls who wear leggings and knee high boots with longer shirts to work and no one says anything, or realllly short beach style dresses... and no one says anything... and one guy who wears ripped tattered khakis every day and the same faded black polo... still nothing. I got in trouble once for not wearing school colors to a meeting. Sorry peeps but I don't like the color red, I really don't think a donor will write me a 20k check instead of a 10K check based on my the fact that a wore a red shirt. ugh. It can be really frustrating. Esp, as a woman I feel like I have to be extra careful to not be too sexy or done up at work, which is a weird feeling.

I really wanted to buy some of those long dress shorts too, but I have always been too scared to wear them at work... it's san diego, I have seen everything from flip flops and salty haired coworkers coming in from pre work surfing to full suits... but really isn't a super ugly suit more of an HR violation than not rocking school colors... bad suits are bad for office morale ;-)

Keep your head up and a good tip is always keep a spare pair of slacks and a spare shirt in your office so you can change in the event of a coffee spill, the butt crack seam of your pants ripping (this really happened to me) or b****y HR interference. Then you can change and just tell your coworkers you spilled something on your pants. :)<3
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    You all are definitely making me feel better! I appreciate everyone's kind and funny comments, they are lifting my spirit. I'm sure that someone did mention it them...I don't really have contact with HR in my regular day. Who or why I will try not to wonder too much about as it will just irritate me. I totally appreciate HR has a job to do and like I said, I'm happy I know now. But it is doesn't mean I'm happy with the entire situation.

That said, this whole thing just proves there is no such thing as a given in work place dress anymore...all the more reason to be specific! Great suggestion on the spare skirt!

As for the bathrobe, I snickered but will be sticking with jeans from here on out. But that is mostly because I believe in dressing with taste and style, which I think I did today.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    **Like!!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAH HAGS!!!

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Having some experience in HR I would have to agree that shorts are not appropriate for work unless otherwise specified.

This isn't an accurate statement. Dress codes should be specific as to what is not permitted. If it doesn't say no shorts, then shorts are permissible. If they are allowing skirts that are shorter than your shorts and sweat pants, HR's actions could be considered discriminatory.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAHAH HAGS!!!

I don't know if the women are hags, but I am willing to bet that MOST of the workplace complaints about "Hostile Work Environment" comes from women UNDER 35 y.o. Also, as a woman who has been in the workplace, compete with men for positions, women that do not know how to dress appropriately usually do NOT move up the ladder. So WOMEN, you can't have your cake and eat it too, always. Trust Me, someone is ALWAYS watching in Corporate America (I have known of cases where VP's have been walking through and noticed someone at reception chewing gum and have come to Me and said, "The Corporate Image can't tolerate that!") I told the Receptionist that she could not chew gum while meeting the public and please never on the phone. There was nothing in the HR Handbook about that either.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    But you're male... they make dress shorts for women. Made from the same material as dress slacks. And they are usually longer than regular shorts and even some skirts.
    They probably cover more tush than skirts!
    Kim

they make dress shorts for men too. to me they just look too casual .shorts just don't look professional imo.

we have a girl in our office who wears them to work and i think they just look awkward in the office.

i can also feel the OP's frustration at her co-workers though. we had a girl in our office who used to come in wearing Lululemon type workout pants and a baggy sweater. she looked like she just rolled out of bed. somehow because they were black pants they were acceptable.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAHAH HAGS!!!

I don't know if the women are hags, but I am willing to bet that MOST of the workplace complaints about "Hostile Work Environment" comes from women UNDER 35 y.o. Also, as a woman who has been in the workplace, compete with men for positions, women that do not know how to dress appropriately usually do NOT move up the ladder. So WOMEN, you can't have your cake and eat it too, always. Trust Me, someone is ALWAYS watching in Corporate America (I have known of cases where VP's have been walking through and noticed someone at reception chewing gum and have come to Me and said, "The Corporate Image can't tolerate that!") I told the Receptionist that she could not chew gum while meeting the public and please never on the phone. There was nothing in the HR Handbook about that either.
    The issue here is not so much the length of the shorts (she specified that she checked and they were definitely long enough not to be too revealing) but that they are shorts, I'm guessing the OP can clarify but had she worn a skirt of a similar length on a normal day Mon-Thurs she would not have been reported, it was just the shorts that were offensive. If certain clothing items are not allowed this should be clearly specified to avoid issues. She should not have been reprimanded for wearing something that was not spelled out in the dress code.

as for gum chewing, thats just common sense, no one should be chewing gum in customer facing positions (or even non customer facing, I hate calling into our tech department and listening to those guys chewing!) I have worked in many corporate industries, banking being the most conservative and dress shorts have never been an issue, revealing clothing of course, but if they are of an appropriate length and are dressy rather than casual there should be no issue. Several of the higher VP's in many of the department wore them (honestly if the men can come in golf shorts the women should be able to wear dress shorts!)
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My husband and I run our own business. I showed up to work today in my sweaty tennis clothes. LOL!!
  • JoyK76
    JoyK76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Having some experience in HR I would have to agree that shorts are not appropriate for work unless otherwise specified.

This isn't an accurate statement. Dress codes should be specific as to what is not permitted. If it doesn't say no shorts, then shorts are permissible. If they are allowing skirts that are shorter than your shorts and sweat pants, HR's actions could be considered discriminatory.

Just because you dont agree doesnt mean its inaccurate. You have to take into account industries and job positions. There are alot of factors that play into DRESS CODE and I agree with you that dress codes SHOULD be specific, but it doesnt always happen and thus the assumption should always be on the safe side. There are also some common sense elements that play into it. Even if it were casual Friday and you knew you had clients coming, you may not even want to wear jeans (even though you were allowed to) just because you may want to make the best impression on your client.

I do agree that dress codes should be specific but they are not perfect and there will always be employees who abuse them and see how far they can stretch the limits. If a company had to change the manual each and every time another employee came up with ONE more way to bend the rules...they would spend thousands, if not more on revising documents and re-issuing to employees.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I agree! Hand test is OK for school but work is totally different, NOR is a skirt that would be that short. The reason that "Sweats" are Ok is that they are far less revealing. Some may have considered "shorts" somewhat provocative...

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're from a Southern state? Having lived in both northern and southern areas of the country, its funny what some regions get up-in-arms about and find "provocative".

I just can't understand how skirts are supposedly LESS provocative than shorts. Now, I don't mean to sound crude (only honest), but with shorts, there is material blocking any potential 'flashing' or 'wardrobe malfunctions" when someone walks up to a woman sitting in a chair. Men don't hope for an unfortunate material hike when a woman in shorts bends over to pick something up....