PG-13/Adult content and the message boards

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been following several of the discussions regarding the turn towards more "PG-13"/R content on the boards and debating what the site policy should be on these types of posts. I haven't posted in any of the discussions because I didn't want to inject myself into the debate. Instead, I first wanted to see how all of you, the MFP community, felt.

After reading the many different opinions expressed by all of you, however, and after a great deal of thought, I just don't see a good reason to allow some of the more risque posts that have been taking place on the boards. In general, I definitely want the boards to be an open place for discussion on virtually any topic. But "adult" content diminishes the positive feel of the boards that we've all managed to create because it alienates some members who otherwise would love to participate in supporting all of us. While I know the posts are in good fun, I don't think even the people who participate in them will miss them that much - there are lots of other places on the internet for adult discussions. And there are plenty of other ways we can joke around with one another.

I just would hate to see people stop posting on the message boards because of a few dirty jokes or pictures that were meant to be fun but instead drove someone out of the community. I think if the content were actually PG-13, it'd be ok. We are adults, and I'm not trying to force the boards to be so clean as to be "prudish", rated G, etc. But many posters have been labeling content as PG-13 when really, its closer to R at best.

Specifically, I would like to avoid:

- posting "risque" pictures
- any obscene, vulgar, or sexually-oriented content
- topic "hijacking", especially when a poster turns an originally serious post into a sexual one

Basically, if you think a topic needs to be labeled somehow to warn others of adult content, it's probably not appropriate.

I hope everyone can understand the reasons for putting this policy into place. If you have any concerns or objections, please feel free to let me know by either sending me a mail message or posting here. I always want to hear your thoughts. I just feel this policy will help ensure that the MFP community remains the best place on the web to get the friendship and support we all need to reach our goals.

Thanks, and hope you are all enjoying the site.

Replies

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been following several of the discussions regarding the turn towards more "PG-13"/R content on the boards and debating what the site policy should be on these types of posts. I haven't posted in any of the discussions because I didn't want to inject myself into the debate. Instead, I first wanted to see how all of you, the MFP community, felt.

After reading the many different opinions expressed by all of you, however, and after a great deal of thought, I just don't see a good reason to allow some of the more risque posts that have been taking place on the boards. In general, I definitely want the boards to be an open place for discussion on virtually any topic. But "adult" content diminishes the positive feel of the boards that we've all managed to create because it alienates some members who otherwise would love to participate in supporting all of us. While I know the posts are in good fun, I don't think even the people who participate in them will miss them that much - there are lots of other places on the internet for adult discussions. And there are plenty of other ways we can joke around with one another.

I just would hate to see people stop posting on the message boards because of a few dirty jokes or pictures that were meant to be fun but instead drove someone out of the community. I think if the content were actually PG-13, it'd be ok. We are adults, and I'm not trying to force the boards to be so clean as to be "prudish", rated G, etc. But many posters have been labeling content as PG-13 when really, its closer to R at best.

Specifically, I would like to avoid:

- posting "risque" pictures
    - any obscene, vulgar, or sexually-oriented content
    - topic "hijacking", especially when a poster turns an originally serious post into a sexual one

Basically, if you think a topic needs to be labeled somehow to warn others of adult content, it's probably not appropriate.

I hope everyone can understand the reasons for putting this policy into place. If you have any concerns or objections, please feel free to let me know by either sending me a mail message or posting here. I always want to hear your thoughts. I just feel this policy will help ensure that the MFP community remains the best place on the web to get the friendship and support we all need to reach our goals.

Thanks, and hope you are all enjoying the site.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I, for one, really appreciate you taking the time to address this issue-
    I think the adult humor really did spiral out of control, and I struggled a few weeks ago with whether or not I was going to keep my account active - it just didn't seem like the same, wholesome encouraging environment. I agree that we can joke with each other and have fun without going THERE.

I love all of my MFP fam, and I hope that we can return to the good ole' (mostly) clean days of MFP

*HUGS* all around

Manda:heart:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mike. I'm in total support of this. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mike.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am definately with ya:smile: Thanks for this AMAZING site....Cara
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Appreciate all the time you put into this board, the creating of it..the maintenance of it...you really have created the best fitness site on the web!!

I for one would like to say thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is a good idea.....I think your making a good decision doing this! Let's continue the positive encouragement!!! and for those looking for comedy maybe they can check out comedy central online and keeps "adult" topics away from here.
    :smile: good luck to all!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    This is a good idea.....I think your making a good decision doing this! Let's continue the positive encouragement!!! and for those looking for comedy maybe they can check out comedy central online and keeps "adult" topics away from here.
    :smile: good luck to all!

Well, let's not make a connection between comedy and adult content. I love the funny stuff on this board, and much of it is not "adult topic" so much any more.

That said, Mike--it's your board and your decision, and I think it's one everyone can agree and live with. I think this is a great place and will continue to be!

Actually, I skipped over this when I first saw the topic heading because I thought it was one of the "PG-13" threads, and I've been simply avoiding them. Then noticed Mike had posted it!

Thanks again, Mike, for all you do and continue to do!
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH MIKE!
    WHEN SOMETHING STARTS SO INNOCENT AND FUN TO PARTICIPATE IN AND THEN SOMEONE CHANGES IT TO MORE THAN IT SHOULD BE, IT CAN BE OFFENSIVE AT TIMES.
    I REALLY ENJOY TALKING & JOKING WITH EVERYONE AND DO LEARN A LOT FOR MY HEALTH AND WEIGHT LOSS FROM MY FITNESS PAL.

JOY :flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I can completely see how some of the photos and some of the content that has been posted is completely inappropriate... but I think it is going to be hard to draw a fine line... I think people are gonna be offended no matter what... and i definately think sometimes its ok to lable a topic "pg13" especially if its light hearted but you think it MIGHT offend someone" . And my idea of PG13 might be different than the next persons idea of PG13... to be safe if i have a joke or something I will continue to lable it PG13 if i think it MIGHT offend someone...we dont want to lose the humor in here!!! the humor is what makes a lot of us come here as much as we do!! But we also dont want to offend anyone!! I know thats not my intentions!! But i sort of do agree that the completely inappropriate content should probably go (even though i am one of those posters :ohwell: )
    The Hijacking has stopped on the website in recent days and we have all been really good about it.

continue with the great website mike.... and i hope you dont eject me from the site for posting my oppinion :laugh: :laugh:
    Jackie

i just wanted to add another example of when it might be appropriate to add the PG13 lable to a post heading.... in the topic does s.e.x. burn calories... might be offensive to some but not to others... and its a pretty common question!!!
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    Thanks for this site Mike!! I agree with your decision... it's one of the reasons why I faded away from the message boards... I didn't like the content and was tired of seeing all of the ones that I read go towards the wayside. I'm glad I happened to drop in today and see this though :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    You've made some very valid points Girl! :drinker:
    I can completely see how some of the photos and some of the content that has been posted is completely inappropriate... but I think it is going to be hard to draw a fine line... I think people are gonna be offended no matter what... and i definately think sometimes its ok to lable a topic "pg13" especially if its light hearted but you think it MIGHT offend someone" . And my idea of PG13 might be different than the next persons idea of PG13... to be safe if i have a joke or something I will continue to lable it PG13 if i think it MIGHT offend someone...we dont want to lose the humor in here!!! the humor is what makes a lot of us come here as much as we do!! But we also dont want to offend anyone!! I know thats not my intentions!! But i sort of do agree that the completely inappropriate content should probably go (even though i am one of those posters :ohwell: )
    The Hijacking has stopped on the website in recent days and we have all been really good about it.

continue with the great website mike.... and i hope you dont eject me from the site for posting my oppinion :laugh: :laugh:
    Jackie

i just wanted to add another example of when it might be appropriate to add the PG13 lable to a post heading.... in the topic does s.e.x. burn calories... might be offensive to some but not to others... and its a pretty common question!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to mull this over and address, Mike! :drinker:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for you and how you viewed and addressed this matter. Thanks so much, not just for the site but for everything.

Alike Jakie, I am one of those posters. It was always in good fun and maybe it was only for those of us who used the joking around as an outlet, no matter what the reason..... I always had a blast. No, not being able to post or discuss the same things will not keep me from using all the site has to offer but it does take away that great thing I enjoyed so much about other MFP'rs.... We're all hear for ABOUT the same reason right? Health and fitness. If in the process of feeling better about ourselves we meet others with a similar thought process or sense of humor and get to let loose before/during/after a stressfull day of work, things at home not great, whatever the reason.... and all things that can affect you physically then as long as it's deemed harmless by it's participants I seen no issue, personally. I also thought a topic heading was working out very well in letting people know what it was about and there they'd know if they wanted or did not want to participate in that discussion.

With that said, I will mind my manners and continue to provide my support for others, ask for it when needed, and I thank you again for this site and all you do. :flowerforyou:

P.S. - Like Jakie said.... don't boot me for giving my opinion please :ohwell:
  • jackeh
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for you and how you viewed and addressed this matter. Thanks so much, not just for the site but for everything.

Alike Jakie, I am one of those posters. It was always in good fun and maybe it was only for those of us who used the joking around as an outlet, no matter what the reason..... I always had a blast. No, not being able to post or discuss the same things will not keep me from using all the site has to offer but it does take away that great thing I enjoyed so much about other MFP'rs.... We're all hear for ABOUT the same reason right? Health and fitness. If in the process of feeling better about ourselves we meet others with a similar thought process or sense of humor and get to let loose before/during/after a stressfull day of work, things at home not great, whatever the reason.... and all things that can affect you physically then as long as it's deemed harmless by it's participants I seen no issue, personally. I also thought a topic heading was working out very well in letting people know what it was about and there they'd know if they wanted or did not want to participate in that discussion.

With that said, I will mind my manners and continue to provide my support for others, ask for it when needed, and I thank you again for this site and all you do. :flowerforyou:

P.S. - Like Jakie said.... don't boot me for giving my opinion please :ohwell:

I do agree with Meg that we thought we had solved this problem ourselves with the "pg13" heading on our titles.... and people could enter if they wanted. And i agree we do need an outlet sometimes to let loose and relax with "our own kind" .... but of course it is your web site and i think you should do what you think is right:flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    Options
    BTW MFPers i think you should ALL be commenting on this .... this web site is nothing without ALL of US!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I personally do not post adult content on the boards, but I'm not particularly offended by those that do. I'm sure there are people that don't want to read that stuff though. What about a specific forum for PG 13 material (I'm not talking about offensive photos etc), but some topics are PG13 without being offensive (such as questions which relate to sex &weight loss, and serious personal issues which may not be appropriate for everyone to read about. Maybe a PG-13 forum could help? Just a thought. Thanks Mike!:flowerforyou:
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Mike. I love it here! My diet and fitness life has changed forever and I'm a much healthier and happier person for it.

I fully support your decision. :flowerforyou:
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Let me begin by saying Thank you Mike for a website that is truly life changing. I am thankful each and every moment that I am able to use this site and all it has to offer. You are helping us be healthy, and I am grafteful.

I came onto this site, posted a few times, needed encouragement to keep going with this change, and I found great support from many. I posted a few times some OT stuff like Questions of the day, which was fun. When I find a article that helps me, I post it.

But...when my head is spinning and the old me appears and wants to turn to food, I instead turn to the gutter gang. They make me laugh, keep my mind off whatever it is that is bothering me, and I am better for it. No one is being hurtful, rude, or demeaning. We joke around a lot, and make eachother laugh. I understand that sometimes it does get a little too raunchy. I am truly sorry for offecding anyone with anything I may have said.

I came onto this site to betetr myself, I have LOST weight and GAINED a support system. I will continue to use this site, and be apart of the challenges I am on as long as you let me! I respect you for setting the record straight. I will be more than happy to abide by any guidelines. Thanks again to you Mike, and to the MFP'ers for everything.
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I personally do not post adult content on the boards, but I'm not particularly offended by those that do. I'm sure there are people that don't want to read that stuff though. What about a specific forum for PG 13 material (I'm not talking about offensive photos etc), but some topics are PG13 without being offensive (such as questions which relate to sex &weight loss, and serious personal issues which may not be appropriate for everyone to read about. Maybe a PG-13 forum could help? Just a thought. Thanks Mike!:flowerforyou:

i agree 100% :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.