Anyone got any breakfast ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    Ah...low protein as well? Sorry I didn't understand that when I first read the post. Has your diabetes damaged your kidneys or does protein effect blood sugar in some way that I don't know of?

How many grams of protein are you supposed to get a day?
  • wannabee
    Options
    I like to have cereal for breakfst too. so one way to give up a lot of sugar and get good fiber is to try cheerios whole grain cereal. It has enough sweetness without a lot of sugar calories. and since I am a fan of fruit loops, I tried the cheerios fruit loop type and it is really good without too much sugar:tongue:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I eat Frosted Shredded Wheat cereal with soy milk....keeps me full!!!! I have to have some sugar in the morning!
  • charlie1173
    Options
    Kashi cereal...
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One toasted slice of Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat (50 cals) and a poached egg (70 cals) for a total of 120 filling calories. To poach an egg, put about two inches of water and one tablespoon vinegar (yes vinegar) in a small frying pan, heat until big bubbles form on the bottom of the pan, turn the heat down to medium-high, crack an egg in, and cook until it's done to your preference. Take it out with a slotted spatula, put it on your toast, and add salt and pepper. That's a good breakfast!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    for me 12 eggwhite onions bell peppers 2 pieces of toast 3 bacon :happy:
  • sebaseth
    sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a medium sized egg, I scramble it with 1 slice of american cheese. I then add it to a slice of 40 cal toast w/ a few squirts of I can't beleive its not butter. It makes a great breakfast sandwich. With your restrictions you may just want to have a nice fresh fruit mixture and maybe so low fat cottage cheese. Or what about yogurt??
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    that is very interesting that you were told to limit your protein as a diabetic- normally you want to learn how your body responds to carbs and then work on regulating your blood sugars from there- have you ever consulted with a diabetic educator in your community or nutritionist?? It would probably be well worth your while and if you are diabetic, insurance will most likely pay for it!

I'm waiting for an appointment with a Dietitian, as for the insurance, we don't have that in UK - NHS takes care of it all through national insurance contributions, so health care no problem for me:happy:

I'm not the only diabetic to be told to go easy on the protein - too much protein can cause kidney disease.
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    that is very interesting that you were told to limit your protein as a diabetic- normally you want to learn how your body responds to carbs and then work on regulating your blood sugars from there- have you ever consulted with a diabetic educator in your community or nutritionist?? It would probably be well worth your while and if you are diabetic, insurance will most likely pay for it!

I'm waiting for an appointment with a Dietitian, as for the insurance, we don't have that in UK - NHS takes care of it all through national insurance contributions, so health care no problem for me:happy:

I'm not the only diabetic to be told to go easy on the protein - too much protein can cause kidney disease.

I'm a diabetic also and never heard about the protein thing. Um, I'll have to find out. Anyway I have been hooked on quaker oats maple and brown sugar instant packets with 1 tbsp. of peanut butter. This is so yummy. Last week I tried having regular oatmeal instead thinking this would be better for me but what ended up happening was right in the middle of my weight class my sugar dropped and I had to run out and grab a banana. This happened twice.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    Yep- I work with diabetic children- but mostly type one. I dont want anyone getting kidney disease! So I am just a big believer of diabetic educators adn nutritionists.....ahh yes the NHS. I lived in Oxford for a bit and was on it - has its pluses and minus but is better than ours in the ole USA, I thought!
    Nice- you live in Brighton! I have heard things have been kinda sunny the last few days.
    that appt will help a lot I think-

For breakfast I have:
    1 egg plus 1/4 cup egg whites scrambled with tomato
    on a brown rice wrap with lots of spinach. I try to sneak in as many veggies in as many meals and snacks as I can. It is a good combo of protein/carb.

I also have raw oats that I soak overnight in unsweet almond almond milk and O add a little granola to it for crunch. (I also add protein powder and goji berries)
  • shortstack
    Options
    I make a triple batch of these and freeze them between wax paper so I can take out as many (3) for 1 meal. They keep you satisfied even thru lunch.

1 cup flour ( I use 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat)
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup lowfat buttermilk
    1 tbsp oil
    1 lg egg lightly beaten
    Cooking spray

Combine first 5 ngredients into a large bowl; stir well, and make well in center of mixture, stiring just until moist. Pour batter onto hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.

Serving size 3 (4") pancakes Cal: 291, Protein: 9.5g, fat: 8g, sat: 1.4g, carb:44.6g, fib:1.1g chol: 74mg, Iron: 2.2mg, sod: 598mg, calc: 184mg. To freeze, place wax paper between pancakes and store in a zip-lock plastic bag or wrap tightly on foil. Weight watchers points 6
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Natural Farms Red Wheat Puffed cereal... its got the lowest carbs by far that I have seen, its all natural and its available at Wal-Mart by the bagged cereals...best part a bag of it only costs $1 (well at least here it does)

1 cup is a serving and has 12 or 13 carbs, 1 sugar if that and 1 or 2 proteins and less than 100 calories....

I eat it with with milk and splenda...
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Grab N Go Cottage Crunch

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup Raisin Bran (I have also used Kashi or Special K)
    1/2 cup fruit of choice

Layer in a cup like a parfait... Eat immediately.
    Yummy.
  • gimmygimmy
    Options
    Market Day Mini Omelets
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the eggs with salsa and veggies. If you can spare a few more calories, and want to save a little time cutting up veggies, there is a frozen package of hash browns with peppers and onions. it's a little bit more calories than most cereals, but you should have a good breakfast anyways. Plus, it's quick and easy, and makes for a good breakfast taco!