RUNS WITH DOGS! Anyone?

Options
124»

Replies

• AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Gerald is my partner. He's a Springer......

Jerry Springer ?? Good one S
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Gerald is my partner. He's a Springer......

Jerry Springer ?? Good one S

No seriously, when he came to me he was Jerry, but as I refused to call him Jerry Springer, he is now Gerald.....
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    My brittany got me addicted to walking/running/hiking. When he was younger, he was EXTREMELY energenic & needed a run 4 or 5 times a week. He just couldn't do without & had a temper tantrum until I had to take him! I always took him in the woods behind my house & let him loose to run. It was amazing how much sheer delight he would get and how FAST he would run! Anyhow, at the beginning it was like a chore to me since not only did I have to take him for atleast an hour (or more) about several times a week, but he would get so muddy I would also have to bathe him everytime! Now he is 13 and he has a bad heart, and has really slowed down. Though he would still LOVE to go, I have to limit his exercise & he really can't handle the heat. Now I go running most of the time without him. I have to sneak out of the house though, because if he sees my running shoes or water bottle, he goes nuts. I know it wont be long before he is no longer with us, but now because of him, it is ME that can't do without that run in the woods. Him & I have spent thousands of hours in that patch of woods, I can't imagine what it will be like when he's gone.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I run way too slow for my collie/husky/shepard mix. He much prefers bike rides but his feet need to be built up because any longer than 10 mins and he tends to get raw toes. We run anywhere from 3-5 miles a few times a week. I have just decided to train for a half marathon so he will come with on all of my non treadmill runs. I usually run at 5-6mph wich is barely above a walk for him, he always lookes at me like "is this the best you can do?" He has a good base though because we were cross country skiing for 4 straight months this winter. He loved that best because he can stay cool and chase the wild turkeys in the bush.

Go to tour local feed store/saddle shop and pick up some Corona ointment. It is a would salve, nasty beeswaxy stuff. But if your rub it on his pads it provides a great barrier and conditioner while they build up callouses.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My dog is a chihuahua minpin mix. He's a sprinter, and I'm a jogger, so we're not very compatible, but he's fat, and I'm trying to get him to lose weight. He's ridiculously nervous, so he often runs in front of me and barks.
    I'd really like to adopt a miniature greyhound at some point, because I think the exercise it needs would motivate me to run all the time. And they're sooo cute.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I run with my German shepherd for about 20 min each day, I like it because he is well behaved, but he is a *kitten* and has almost unlimited stamina lol. And I dont so that probably makes him sad lol
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I run way too slow for my collie/husky/shepard mix. He much prefers bike rides but his feet need to be built up because any longer than 10 mins and he tends to get raw toes. We run anywhere from 3-5 miles a few times a week. I have just decided to train for a half marathon so he will come with on all of my non treadmill runs. I usually run at 5-6mph wich is barely above a walk for him, he always lookes at me like "is this the best you can do?" He has a good base though because we were cross country skiing for 4 straight months this winter. He loved that best because he can stay cool and chase the wild turkeys in the bush.

Go to tour local feed store/saddle shop and pick up some Corona ointment. It is a would salve, nasty beeswaxy stuff. But if your rub it on his pads it provides a great barrier and conditioner while they build up callouses.

Thank you! Will look for that!