More Women Than Men

Options
Ashalahn_LMT
Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
I have only been on MFP for a few weeks. Although I have been on other tracking websites for years. I have noticed there appear to be far more women using the tracking features than men, and exponentially more women posting on the forums than men. Rarely do I see a post from a guy asking for friends, support or motivation. Honestly, I rarely see many posts asking for help of any kind from guys. I am guilty of this. I don't think I've posted asking any questions, usually just supplying answers and advice.

Do you think this stems from the independent nature of us guys? Our stubborn, bull headed approach to life in general? Our inability to "ask for directions"? Are we really all self motivators, or do we just think we are? Or do we think we know it all?

Or is this because there is (in my opinion) far more pressure placed on women to lose weight, be thin, get skinny, etc? Guys seem to get a pass in many respects regarding their physical appearance.

Just a thought. Open for discussion, though please refrain from bashing the opposite sex (at least not too hard).

Replies

• Needthisforme
    Options
    I think there is a huge amount of pressure on women to loose weight however not just from other people but we do it to our selves. Women are looked at as a sexy object. the taller skinnier and more beautiful she is the farther she will go in life. I don't see that when it comes to men so much. when a woman looks at a man most of them like meat on thier bones and when some one is going to have a man work for them they want some one with muscle. Society as a hole has put so many labels on everything that there is no way to be perfect you can have the best bosy in the world but some one will find a flaw in it. And as for the posting well we are women and we love to chat and let it out. Here you can say what you want and not worrie who is going to say what back to it. We can let out how we feel about some one not helping us or that stupid co worker where most of the time guys don't care. A bunch of guys work together and well they work together a bunch of women work together and there is back stabbing and I am better then you attitudes. So in general I feel it is just the over all of a woman is a woman and a man is a man ...Just my thoughts however.
  • Growe190
    Growe190 Posts: 18
    Options
    God or bad guys just don't ask.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think there is a huge amount of pressure on women to loose weight however not just from other people but we do it to our selves. Women are looked at as a sexy object. the taller skinnier and more beautiful she is the farther she will go in life. I don't see that when it comes to men so much. when a woman looks at a man most of them like meat on thier bones and when some one is going to have a man work for them they want some one with muscle. Society as a hole has put so many labels on everything that there is no way to be perfect you can have the best bosy in the world but some one will find a flaw in it. And as for the posting well we are women and we love to chat and let it out. Here you can say what you want and not worrie who is going to say what back to it. We can let out how we feel about some one not helping us or that stupid co worker where most of the time guys don't care. A bunch of guys work together and well they work together a bunch of women work together and there is back stabbing and I am better then you attitudes. So in general I feel it is just the over all of a woman is a woman and a man is a man ...Just my thoughts however.

Totally agree! It doesn't matter how thin or in shape I have been in the past, there have always been snide comments "well, you could work on THIS or THAT, and look even BETTER!" It just can't be, "Girl, you look amazing, great work!"

Men as a whole, from my experience, aren't usually the type to ask for much help.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Personally I think a guy can weigh 300+ pounds, have a greasy 6 hair comb-cover that looks like a spider clutching an egg and wears suspenders...and thinks he is just one small step under Brad Pitt looks wise.

...and to those comb-over 300+ pound guys I meant no offense. You look good...really!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They don't ask for directions and they won't ask for help. Sad
  • binary_jester
    Options
    ...and to the ladies that says we don't ask for help. Totally untrue. I often consult the instructions when building something...when i have an alarming amount of left-over parts, or it isn't working.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Options
    ...and to the ladies that says we don't ask for help. Totally untrue. I often consult the instructions when building something...when i have an alarming amount of left-over parts, or it isn't working.

Those left over parts are extras, right? In case something breaks? And honestly, have you tried reading those instructions? Part A into slot ZZ with 3 #54 bolts attached by 3 #76 nuts. It takes an engineer and a cryptographer to decipher those things.

Seriously though. Perhaps we all wouldn't be struggling so much if we were to extend a hand to ask for help.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The ladies tend to be more insecure... and with insecurity comes the paranoia and the need to have those insecurities quelled. Needing to hear or read that they are pretty, they are doing well, they aren't alone. And on the flip side, when finally that girl is confident in her appearance and those insecurities vanished, other women can be judgmental that they are cocky or the like. Vicious cycle! Luckily MOST the women I've befriended on here are pretty down to earth :bigsmile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    God or bad guys just don't ask.
    I wouldn't have thought God would have to ask. :bigsmile:

I think that there are a lot of reasons people join this site - some of these things apply to a higher number of women than they do men:

1. Societal expectations regarding appearance
    2. Being so overweight and unfit that it's stopping you from doing fun outdoors type stuff (men are generally stronger, even when they're in bad shape)
    3. Having expensive and well loved clothes in your wardrobe that no longer fit
    4. Being concerned about health
    5. Trying to combat an eating disorder
    6. Having a generally lower ability to "just cut back a little bit" due to having a lower overall maintenance intake.

By the last one, I mean a woman eating a set amount of food as per quantity sold, eg one chocolate bar, or one portion of fries, or one cupcake, is eating proportionally more of her daily intake than a man eating the same item. This is why I hate you men. :bigsmile:
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been on for awhile, a couple of months. Most weight loss sites and products are geared towards women. I would say all, but I am sure there are a few out there for men, but I have not found any. Most of the sites and products for men are for muscle building. You see infomercials for women which include, turbo-jam, jazzercise, Weight Watchers. Guys infomercials include, P90X all though they show women as well most of them are men, Power trainer, Perfect Pushups, although they don't come out and say it you have to follow some kind of nutrition guide which is supplied with the product. Even P90x and Insanity come with an eating guide. Of course they don't tell you that you need to follow that closely to see results and of course they don't tell you the people you see on the TV are trainers and pros. And the real life people you only see pictures of are all photo-shopped to look perfect. These products do work, but not as fast as they say they do and it takes a lot of effort.

OK sorry got off track, men in general don't get into patting each other they seem not to need the affirmation that women need to feel good about themselves. Women compare each other even when just walking down the street they might see another woman about her size and think is that what I look like or does she look better than me. Guys don't think that way, well at least I don't. I work out because I like the way I look and feel not because some one else thinks so. Women in our society seem to need to feel like they look good they are the ones who are attracting or what to keep attracting men or partners so they keep them or don't want them to stray. So they need that reassurance that they are still attractive to their mates or when trying to get a mate. Weight loss for women is harder and I think the need to see that they are not alone with issues and men just don't understand, the only ones who will listen are other women. The men in their lives don't fill that gap of having the same issues as women. So they look to each other for that support and affirmation that we as men lack in giving them.

I myself answer posts, but have never started one, I am in the same boat you are. I am guilty of that as well. I don't have any friends on here that are guys they are all women. Not because I asked them to be, but most of them are because I posted an answer to a question they had or know them from some place else.
  • jakemg
    jakemg Posts: 42
    Options
    I've posted on here a few times, but mostly in response to others' questions. I've actually had a few people just friend me based on a couple of posts I made and they've been ridiculously supportive (considering they're total strangers). I mean the kind of thing where they say "Great Job!" on my posts when I'm under calories or when I have a kick *kitten* workout. I like that kind of stuff. Makes me proud of what I'm doing...
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I don't mind asking for help, but I tend to obsess. So when I was ready to loose weight, I read books. I subscribe to 3 magazines. I research what I am taking. I try different variations of work out plans. I listen to knowledgeable people here.

Normally I don't ask because I research first...then ask.

(Yes, I intentionally used "loose" just to upset my fellow grammar nazi friends. You have no idea how dirty it felt typing that.)
  • busymomyof3
    Options
    i believe it is both..
    guys, even my DH, seem to have it easy as far what society thinks of them.. the older they get, the sexier.. not the same for women... even if they get a lil beer belly they still look good.. plus the whole "manhood" thing gets in the way of them asking for help with ANYTHING!

women, have it hard all the way around. when we go through pregnancy, our bodies become stretched in all ways, it's hard to get that back. esp, after more than 1 child. Society does play a lot on what we see as beautiful & sexy. in today's world we need to be skinny with long hair & a good tan.. centuries ago, it was the opposite.. the thicker a lady was meant she had plenty to eat & was wealthy, if she had pale skin, that also meant she didn't have to work outside..
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Oh and I am totally ok with the inordinate amount of ladies here. naughty.gif
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Options
    I haven't started any posts, because I don't have any questions.... :)
    I read. And research. And read some more. And I have been struggling with this stuff for many many years. So I have slowly figured out what works for me.

In regards to the motivation and support. I enjoy giving it to those who are struggling the same as me. I could care less if people comment on what I'm doing, not that I don't appreciate it. It's sad in one sense that we seek the encouragement from total strangers rather than those closest to us. It doesn't say much about those people in our lives. But, then it's a testament to the rest of us that are willing to support a total stranger, because we share similar goals and journeys. Bitter and sweet, I suppose.
  • ajricketts
    ajricketts Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm similar to Binary_Jester in the sense that I am much more likely to research my question before I ask someone. No offense to anyone on here, but I like to know what the experts think. And, you can research mutliple points of view with resources supporting both and come to your own conclusion. Then I don't have to filter through, "No, THIS is much better . . . I read an obscure study five years ago that I can't remember the name of . . ."

Know what I mean?

I definitely do a lot of reading on here though. Even if I may not have thought of a particular question, I've learned a lot from these boards.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

I was just thinking "And thank God for that" when I read the title of the thread. :drinker:
  • binary_jester
    Options

I was just thinking "And thank God for that" when I read the title of the thread. :drinker:
    My asian heritage wants to rike your comment.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i post all the time and will take help for all !!!!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I ask questions all the time.