Hummus, salsa, and guacamole

Options
2»

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like to use snap peas and green beans for dip carriers as well as the carrots, cucumbers, celery, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and cauliflower. Of course, not ALL of these go with all the dips due to combatant flavors. I also like rice crackers. Oh, and I LOVE Red and yellow peppers, but for some reason, although I love the flavor, green peppers give me the burps so I try to avoid them.
  • bettyford4202
    bettyford4202 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make my own Guacamole! LOOOVE it! Pita triangles and veggies are what I usually use for dipping. I also found All Purpose Greek Seasoning you can sprinkle that stuff on basically anything and it makes it taste soooo yummy!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Might sound odd, but I buy hardboiled eggs and make guac-devils out of them. Halve them, remove the yolk, and crush a few of the yolks into the guac. Fill the hollow in the egg with your guac mix. The result: Guac - deviled eggs :happy:

Guac is also a fantastic topping for stuffed peppers.

Hummus goes really well with sliced veggies. Carrots and peppers being my favorite.

Salsa & guac are also good salad dressings. They also work as "dips" if you enjoy fajitas made without the tortilla.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I make sandwiches with hummus, sprouts, lettuce, and tomato.

I slice avocado and use it on sandwiches or salads. Guacamole I save for tacos- use corn tortillas and tacos made at home are pretty low cal.

I mix salsa w/equal parts low fat sour cream as a salad dressing.

Of course you can dip veggies in any of the above.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    For Hummus I love red peppers and reduced fat Triscuits (just watch your serving size) for Salsa I use celery. Works out perfectly because I hate celery but a good flavorful salsa hides that yucky taste!
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I noticed alot of postings for using them as dips, but some other suggestions are using the hummus or guacamole as a spread on a sandwich rather than mayo, and salsa is great on eggs, in soups, cooked in with different meats, etc. Just some ideas. Hope you find one that works for ya!! :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    veggie sticks are a low cal alternative, but I still use corn chips for guacamole and salsa most of the time. Sometimes I buy low carb wraps, cut them into triangles and bake until crisp (they will burn very quickly so keep an eye on them). For hummus I use carrot or bell pepper sticks or whole grain crackers. I LOVE Kellogg's All Bran crackers. They are the best crackers I've ever tasted even counting the unhealthy ones.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I've used all of these as salad dressings, very yummy! I love a salad with mixed greens, tomato, crumbled veggie burger (or grilled chicken), a bit of finely-grated cheddar, and a blob of about 2tbsp of hummus. SO GOOD. I also use salsa and guacamole on my own variations of 'taco salads'.

Salsa on a baked sweet potato (or sweet potato fries in the oven) is also to die for. One of my favourite combos is a baked sweet potato topped with cottage cheese, salsa and a small bit of guacamole. YUM.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Mission Extra Thin Corn Tortillas (2 = 80 calories). Cut into strips or triangles. Place on cookie sheet. Spray lightly with Pam or spritz olive oil. Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes in a pre-heated oven (watch closely due to oven variations).

Insta-healthy(ish) chips.

edit: Fixed Mr. Hubby-dude. :tongue:
  • smersh
    smersh Posts: 36
    Options
    Mission Extra Thin Corn Tortillas (2 = 80 calories). Cut into strips or triangles. Place on cookie sheet. Spray lightly with Pam or spritz olive oil. Bake at 250 for 10 minutes (watch closely due to oven variations).

Insta-healthy(ish) chips.

350 for 7-8 minutes in a pre-heated oven.