TATTOO OR NOT TO TATTOO

Options

Replies

• Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is a tattoo as well. I am nearing 40 and have wanted one for years and years but knew not to do it while I was this overweight.
    I want a particular design across my lower back (tramp stamp) as hubby says ;)
  • Kayceeg27
    Kayceeg27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been rewarding myself with tattoos for years. Sometimes for some big accomplishment, other times just for surviving another year. I think you need to have a connection with what you are placing on your body and think long had hard about where you put it on your body and where you get the work done at. That being said I personally would not want to pay for a reminder of the fact that I once was overweight on my body (thats what strech marks are for) but instead something to celebrate the fact that I have working so hard to get healthy.
  • LeeLeeTunk
    LeeLeeTunk Posts: 84
    Options
    Ive got 12 Tattoos....Im addicted!!! :bigsmile:
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos! My brother is a tattoo artist! I see nothing wrong with getting a tat for reaching you goal or a symbol, but not a number....you are not defined by that! It's a tough decision, but you don't want to regret it either. I have my first one that didn't mean a whole lot, but I wanted it and it has all the things I love. My second is a reminder of my Papaw who watches over me everyday of my life from above! When I reach my final weight I will get another one with another memory attached to it! You need to love it!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Two 3/4 sleeves when I hit my goal Body fat %. Already paid for and designed.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Two 3/4 sleeves when I hit my goal Body fat %. Already paid for and designed.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm getting one of my starting weight as a reminder to never go back.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO TATTOOS! Be natural and beautiful!!

In my mind, my tattoos are beautiful.....one of the few things on my body that I see as such...
    and make me feel more "real/natural" ......
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Tattoo.

I'm tattooed and beautiful.

Suck on that.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are definitely not for me! I appreciate the artistic quality, but I can't help but picture what it will look like when I'm in my 70s when my skin isn't as nice and taught as it used to be..

For my own reward, I got my hair dyed for the first time ever. I like it because if I totally hate/regret it, I can still change it.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

In my mind, my tattoos are beautiful.....one of the few things on my body that I see as such...

I agree fae! It's my art... it's what spoke to me and makes me. I had this guy from my parent's church say to me that I was "desecrating the body God gave you"... I plainly told him " no, I'm just decorating"
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    No, definitely don't care for tattoos.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I agree with Faerie :flowerforyou: I have 6 and they all mean something to me and make me feel beautiful. If it means something and makes you feel good, I say DO IT! :happy: (but make sure you are only doing it for yourself!)
  • ashleymeagan
    Options
    Yes to tattoos. I absolutely love them. Have only 3 so far, but I do want more. And that is one of my rewards also.
    They are beautiful. Even if someone doesnt understand it or like it, you at least got it for a reason.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i'm a definite tattoo supporter. i wouldn't suggest getting a goal weight, because that may change for you someday. but to get something that is a concept, like gluttony in some form, possibly as a symbol, is a great idea! that is an ideal that you will want to keep with you, almost as a reminder, for the rest of your life!

I agree 100%!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The question was not do you agree with tattoos. Just about getting one in relation to weight loss. Clearly they think they are an ok idea, so other opinions need not apply.

I agree that the idea of your goal weight maybe not being the best due to changes in life but something to symbolize your life changes is great.
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Options
    Tattoos are personal. Get if you want they are permanent not like your weight. I have two tattoos but they are quite personal my the First I got as 36 best friend and I have matching tattoos our initials and the angelic symbol of friendship, the secone at 37 and is the Cadence for Amazing Grace for my children. But my weight never came into play for either. They are permant reminders of the loves in my life not something that sometimes has control over my life. I hope this helps. I Love INK but get it for the right reason.
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    I have wanted one for years now but never know what to get... I've decided when I reach my goal I'm going to get a little symbolic tattoo to remind me of this journey and how far I've come on... something to remind me never to look back!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I bought my mom one for mother's day when she was 55...my 2 sisters and I go the same tattoo, it's a lady bug on our foot...age doesn't matter...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted a tattoo but im worried it will REALLY hurt!
    Like il get half way through and il be bleeding everywhere, and my skin will be purple, etc..
    But i say if u want a tattoo go for it!

I don't think it hurts much. At worst, like a bee sting or cat scratch. Mostly like being someone pressing hard against your skin with a vibrating ink pen. The next day it's sore like a sunburn.

It depends on where you get it. It doesn't hurt as much on fleshier areas. The one on my belly was nothing. The one on my ankle hurt when he went over bone. The back stung, but not as much as the ankle. The ankle hurt more the next day than my back, too. My husband reports that the inside of the wrist hurt.

As far as bleeding... that's minor, too. It's more of a plasma seeping. If you're not easily grossed out, here's a picture of the bandage that was on my for about 2 hours after. (yeah, I'm weird and took a picture of it) http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/lorinalynn/IMG_0549.jpg That's it. More plasma than blood. And no bleeding since. This was taken on my phone immediately after he finished and cleaned up the excess ink. Little red, but not much: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/lorinalynn/644483578_2304291774_0.jpg And my profile picture was the next morning.

I'm (obviously) a big fan of them. :smile:

But think long and hard about what you want. All three of mine were from my own drawings, and they were designs I tossed around for a good six months each. There's a folder on my computer with inspiration photos and a bunch of scans rough drafts of ideas. Follow the artists you're interested in on Facebook. See what sort of stuff they do.