TATTOO OR NOT TO TATTOO

Options

Replies

• sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of tattoos, lol. Maybe too many to count, probably around 15 though. I'm hoping to get another as a reward once I reach my goal. Yes, it is an obsession, maybe even as addiction, but I love them! Both of my parents and my brother have tattoos so I guess it's just a preference in my family, lol!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I plan to have a stick runner girl (maybe with mickey ears) and 26.2 after I do my marathon in January (the disney marathon)
    I had thought about doing a heart for every 10 pounds but couldn't find a design I wanted.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Humans have been getting tattooed since the dawn of time for infinite reasons. It seems to be a very natural part of mankind's history. They may not be for everyone but for some they are very natural.
    Go for it, it's a great idea.
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    Fun!

I actually have had this plan of getting an anchor on my back with the Latin phrase "Semper Ad Meliora" (always towards better things) half circling around it at the top

the anchor symbolizes the opposite of what people would think - to me its not that im being weighed down - but that NO MATTER WHAT TRIES to weigh me down, I can rise above it and will have the strength to set myself free.

In all honesty, it had nothing to do with weight loss but more of the emotional things I went through in the past. but NOWWWW it will be also be representative of that because I NEVER thought I would get this far. EVER. and now I feel like ... I can do anything! and that now I truly am always going towards better things.

I got the idea from one of my favorite dashboard confessional songs. the chorus of the lyrics are:
    "So hand me the rocks to help weigh me down
    And tether my legs with a cord tightly bound
    To the end of an anchor thrown into the sound
    And test me to see if I will rise against the worst that it can get "
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    I'm tattooed and I'm beautiful! My tattoos do not detract from my beauty, they enhance it! They are a part of me as much as my eye colour or hair colour is. My tattoos are very personal to me and I wouldn't go back and change a thing about them or me!
  • BAMA66
    BAMA66 Posts: 240
    Options
    I have several tattoos so I think it would be a great idea as a memento for something that means a lot to you.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have three and am thinking about my next one... I always think of tattoos as a reward. My next reward could be getting to my goal weight, but most likely it will be when I graduate Law School in 2013.

The tattoos I am thinking about are:

- One for getting to my goal (unsure as to what this should be)
    - Graduating Law School (probably a sexy Lady Justice)
    - One that represents the fact that I am against animal cruelty (maybe this could be my goal weight reward... been thinking about what this should look like... any ideas?? Don't want just an animal or animal foot prints, something symbolic...)
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have several and I love them. I got a few when I was too young though, that didn't really have any meaning to my life, especially now, just things I put on my body. I have since had them covered up with new ones. 4 are covered up and I love the new pieces!

I have always wanted one with my kids names and something to do with running in another. I want the running one on the top of my foot but need to stop racing to do so. No running shoes for a bit...LOL

I think they tell a story of who you are and if you want one, and it means something to you (this is key, meaning, not just random things) then go for it!
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I can see getting a tattoo for a goal met, but I personally would not get a number. Because as time goes on, that number may change, etc. But definitely get something meaningful for you! [I had my first tattoo covered up because I got it on an impulse at 18 and regretted it later]

I have three tattoos, with two more already picked out. I'd love to get half-sleeves, however I have to think about my future career [nurse] and I don't want to have to wear sleeves under my scrubs my whole life. :)

Lovelovelove tattoos, and tattoos on men? *drool* Especially sleeves/shoulders/chest. Yummy. ^_^
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Girls with sleeves make me happy in pants.....

SOOOOO on that note I am getting tats of my name on my palms so when I am 80 I wont have to look far for ID when the Alzheimers kicks in.
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Want one...but at 40 to start now.... and then what do I get.... so many decisions..... may just stay the way I am... but just loose the extra pounds...

I got my first one at 40.

There is a saying, it's all about the pain. The ink is just a souvenir. But seriously, it does hurt. :laugh: What you get is something that is significant to you.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO TATTOOS! Be natural and beautiful!!

In my mind, my tattoos are beautiful.....one of the few things on my body that I see as such...
    and make me feel more "real/natural" ......

agree. they are the parts of my skin i feel the most comfortable in.
    plus i'm tattooed enough that it tends to keep away all the people who see it as unattractive or find it otherwise "unnatural".
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a tattoo. I hear they put'em on with needles..
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Tattoo for sure!!!!!!!!!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO TATTOOS! Be natural and beautiful!!

Can't help but be a little offended by this.

Tattoos are wonderful and beautiful, especially if they have a beautiful meaning behind them.

I wear every one of my tattoos proudly. They all represent something significant in my life and I feel more beautiful with them then I would without them.

For the OP make sure you put a lot of thought behind what you want as you will have it for the rest of your life. And if you are like me and a lot of the other MFP tattoo people they make great rewards and momentos for reaching our goals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    That being said I personally would not want to pay for a reminder of the fact that I once was overweight on my body (thats what strech marks are for) but instead something to celebrate the fact that I have working so hard to get healthy.

^^This! Stretch marks are definitely our reminder of our struggles with our weight, or of our pregnancies. :)

I have two tattoos and both are very meaningful to me. As for being too old, my husband got his first when he was about 40 and the second about 6 months after that. It took me nearly 20 years to convince him to get one and then he liked it enough to run right out to get the next. He's already planning his third. LOL

The fleshy parts of your body don't hurt much at all. My first didn't bug me a bit. The one on my ankle hurt quite a bit as she was going over (and over!) the bone, but as soon as it's done it's a big endorphin rush. Definitely don't get a number. Get something personal to you to symbolize your journey. Personally, I think it's more fun when only you, and those you choose to tell, know the meaning behind it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Want one...but at 40 to start now.... and then what do I get.... so many decisions..... may just stay the way I am... but just loose the extra pounds...

There is a saying, it's all about the pain. The ink is just a souvenir. But seriously, it does hurt. :laugh: What you get is something that is significant to you.

I got my first, second and third when I was 38. I think I'll wait until after I turn 39 before I get anymore. Easy to say since my birthday is Thursday.
  • mclark_RN
    mclark_RN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here. I can't wait I already know what I want =)
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I got my first, second and third when I was 38. I think I'll wait until after I turn 39 before I get anymore. Easy to say since my birthday is Thursday.

I also got my first (and only) tattoo at age 38. I got it after I graduated from college (which took me 11 years to complete). I got a tattoo of a sea turtle on my foot to commemorate the long journey.

I say get something to commemorate your journey, but get something meaningful to represent how far you've come, not just a number.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get one of my goal weight but when I finally do hit it, I plan to get a couple of tattoos. I've had them planned for quite a while and it seems like the perfect way to reward myself :smile: