drinking water is drying me out!

Options
13»

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Long hot baths in the winter dry out my skin, even when I'm drinking a 32oz tumbler of water while relaxing this the bubbles.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just coincidentally happening at the same time? My skin gets super dry in Winter.
  • jenspenguin1
    jenspenguin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just googled this because it is happening to me. This tread came up! Old but has good information. It's so weird. the more I drink the drier my hands get and the more I feel thirsty.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    +1 to getting thirstier the more I drink water
    it does not seem to get better (even after drinking 1.0 - 1.5 gal daily for months)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How dry your skin is has to do with relative humidity...not how much you drink. Humidity in your area is probably just low, perhaps due to a drop in temperature.
  • Tinamsmith96
    Tinamsmith96 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is indicative of a thyroid condition.
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking water for like 6 months already, but I wasn't drinking only water lol when I went out to eat or if there was soda in the house I would drink it. I don't buy soda, I can really only have Sprite cause I'm allergic to caffeine but if we're having people over I buy it for them then end up drinking it myself.

Well there is your problem! If the vitamin you are taking has green tea extract, it has caffeine.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have been drinking water for like 6 months already, but I wasn't drinking only water lol when I went out to eat or if there was soda in the house I would drink it. I don't buy soda, I can really only have Sprite cause I'm allergic to caffeine but if we're having people over I buy it for them then end up drinking it myself.

Well there is your problem! If the vitamin you are taking has green tea extract, it has caffeine.

Caffeine doesn't dry your skin out, it is a vasoconstrictor and a mild diuretic. The water content of coffee more than balances out any diuretic effect and even if it didn't your skin doesn't dry out because you are dehydrated, it dries out because the relative humidity of the air is low enough to cause surface evaporation on your skin. You can be fully hydrated and still have bone dry skin because of the weather.

OP if you suffer regularly from dry skin best bet would be a hydrophobic lotion that would block evaporation or a humidifier in your home or wherever you spend most of your time. How much water you drink won't have any discernable effect.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Caffeine doesn't dry your skin out, it is a vasoconstrictor and a mild diuretic. The water content of coffee more than balances out any diuretic effect and even if it didn't your skin doesn't dry out because you are dehydrated, it dries out because the relative humidity of the air is low enough to cause surface evaporation on your skin. You can be fully hydrated and still have bone dry skin because of the weather.

OP if you suffer regularly from dry skin best bet would be a hydrophobic lotion that would block evaporation or a humidifier in your home or wherever you spend most of your time. How much water you drink won't have any discernable effect.

OP said she was allergic to caffeine, so the effects will be different for her.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

OP said she was allergic to caffeine, so the effects will be different for her.

How would stimulating a t cell response dry out your skin?