Carbs & Sugars :(

Options
12346»

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Best day of my life? Getting mod repped by Alan Aragon. Better than losing my virginity, better than graduating college, and better than my future wedding + birth of child.

Just sayin'.

Screenshot or it didn't happen.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It's buried :[ I don't know how to see them from that long ago!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    He's much more fun to read IMO than Tom Venuto :)
    Never got into Venuto much. Some of the bits of things I've seen from him have been very, 'meh.' I know some of his books have been very well-received, but some things I've seen him say can rub me the wrong way.

Alan Aragon all the way for me. Anyone who really wants to learn should invest in his research review immediately. Pay $10/month and you have access to 2 years of his critiquing dozens upon dozens of published science. You can download everything he's submitted, and he updates it once every month.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out, thanks.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    It's buried :[ I don't know how to see them from that long ago!

Giving you a hard time. :-)

What was your post about that he repped you?

/hijack
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I mean, I probably SHOULDN'T promote it in this fashion, but you can pay $10 to subscribe for a single month, download over 2 years worth of publications being critiqued by him (which equates to well over 100 as he does 2-3 per month every month), then unsubscribe. And you would have a WEALTH of information at your hands for $10. Amazing, amazing deal.

/hijack
    I made him laugh about something. Probably a paleo joke or something ^_^

I am the mastermind behind this, though: http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ericsauble/insulinfairycopyfinal.jpg

See: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=663589511&postcount=155

Claim to fame.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    I mean, I probably SHOULDN'T promote it in this fashion, but you can pay $10 to subscribe for a single month, download over 2 years worth of publications being critiqued by him (which equates to well over 100 as he does 2-3 per month every month), then unsubscribe. And you would have a WEALTH of information at your hands for $10. Amazing, amazing deal.

/hijack
    I made him laugh about something. Probably a paleo joke or something ^_^

I am the mastermind behind this, though: http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ericsauble/insulinfairycopyfinal.jpg

See: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=663589511&postcount=155

Claim to fame.

Sounds like a good use of $10. Probably moreso than the sad $70 I pay monthly for cable TV...
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Law of large numbers weeds out the discrepancies/anomalies over a long periods of time. After decades of nutritional data compiled via peer-reviewed publication, it's safe to say we can start to make SOME sorts of conclusions. Insulin being an evil hormones that should be avoided at all costs is false based on some of these conclusions, as it does not defy a caloric deficit and the law of thermodynamics, again, outside of those who are insulin resistant.

We don't have decades of nutritional data and you can't apply the law of large numbers when the problems aren't abnormalities but the majority. It's funny that you are so interested in discussing this, but you refuse to read a book about it :)
    You can see value in books, but the main purpose of writing a book in this context is to make money. Scientific research is done for pretty much no reason outside of expanding knowledge. The overwhelming majority of researchers don't make money for attaining interesting findings; they research for the purpose of knowledge. Their pay doesn't change based on the results they stumble upon.

I don't think the main purpose of his book was to make money. It took him absolute years to write and it's not exactly an easy or short read. It was never going to be a best seller.

You have a very naive view of scientists and scientific research. I can assure you that it's not done only to expand knowledge, especially in the realms of human health. There is ****loads of money to be made off of this stuff. If someone could develop a pill to cure obesity, they would be richer than Bill Gates. Researchers pay absolutely increases as their prestige and influence increases. It's actually pretty cut-throat. Add in the way science is reported in the mainstream media and you get a bunch of nonsense.
    The research of interest is clinical trials. Taubes doesn't have any that are relevant to human physiology. I have yet to see empirical evidence in the form of clinical trials that implicates insulin as being as demonic a hormone as many, like Taubes, seems to think. Again, outside of those who are insulin resistant.

This conversation is pointless because you're trying to argue against something you haven't read. Taubes goes through study after study. I have problems with some of his logic, but you cannot say he doesn't have the studies to back himself up. He has literally hundreds of citations listed at the back of the book! The thing is that he is using them to deconstruct the whole dieting paradigm that we've been operating in since the late 70s.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Sounds like a good use of $10. Probably moreso than the sad $70 I pay monthly for cable TV...
    Over a hundred studies critiqued by arguably one of the brightest minds in the field of nutrition, or *Glee...

Goodness that is a hard decision!

*Stereotyping all young girls as having an affinity for Glee.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Over a hundred studies critiqued by arguably one of the brightest minds in the field of nutrition, or *Glee...

Goodness that is a hard decision!

*Stereotyping all young girls as having an affinity for Glee.

I'm more of a "Big Bang Theory" and "Archer" fan, but hey, the Glee sterotype is understandable. I break out in hives watching adults randomly break into musical-style song. It frightens me.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    We don't have decades of nutritional data and you can't apply the law of large numbers when the problems aren't abnormalities but the majority. It's funny that you are so interested in discussing this, but you refuse to read a book about it :)

We don't? We've been studying nutritional for a very long time now.
    You have a very naive view of scientists and scientific research. I can assure you that it's not done only to expand knowledge, especially in the realms of human health. There is ****loads of money to be made off of this stuff. If someone could develop a pill to cure obesity, they would be richer than Bill Gates. Researchers pay absolutely increases as their prestige and influence increases. It's actually pretty cut-throat. Add in the way science is reported in the mainstream media and you get a bunch of nonsense.

I said in most cases. I've participated in 4 studies myself and am interviewing as a clinical trials associate with a bachelor's. Not trying to impress with credentials, but I think I have a pretty informed view of scientists and research. Hence me saying in MOST cases, it's not done for the promise of money. MOST research is done on topics that the common person would not understand. Biology, chemistry, neuroscience, physics, etc. I 'specialize' in neuroscience, and in my curriculum we had to take a year of merely looking at research in the field. There's zero money or glory to be made in 99.99% of published research in neuroscience, haha.
    This conversation is pointless because you're trying to argue against something you haven't read. Taubes goes through study after study. I have problems with some of his logic, but you cannot say he doesn't have the studies to back himself up. He has literally hundreds of citations listed at the back of the book! The thing is that he is using them to deconstruct the whole dieting paradigm that we've been operating in since the late 70s.
    I don't need to read a book to tell you the studies are insufficient. If there were clinical trials that showed the effects of insulin and how they defy a caloric deficit, I'd have seen it by now. Where as I HAVE seen a plethora of research that shows a caloric deficit > temporary boosts in insulin outside of those with insulin resistance or chronically high levels of insulin, which is a minority of the population.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I'm more of a "Big Bang Theory" and "Archer" fan, but hey, the Glee sterotype is understandable. I break out in hives watching adults randomly break into musical-style song. It frightens me.
    My ex tried to get be into BBT, but I just couldn't do it. I've seen a few episodes of Archer online, and they all made me laugh. I should probably finish out those episodes...

You girls and your shows about adults posing as high school students who break out into song. One of my guy friends is obsessed with that show, and, well, he's never going to hear the end of it.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    My ex tried to get be into BBT, but I just couldn't do it. I've seen a few episodes of Archer online, and they all made me laugh. I should probably finish out those episodes...

You girls and your shows about adults posing as high school students who break out into song. One of my guy friends is obsessed with that show, and, well, he's never going to hear the end of it.

As an aside, I subscribed to AA's Research Review and his analysis of the saturated fat debacle from April's edition is fantastic.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    As an aside, I subscribed to AA's Research Review and his analysis of the saturated fat debacle from April's edition is fantastic.
    Sorry, all I read was:

"As an aside, I subscribed to AA's Research Review and his analysis of EVERYTHING IN NUTRITION AND LIFE from EVERY EDITION EVER is fantastic."
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Sorry, all I read was:

"As an aside, I subscribed to AA's Research Review and his analysis of EVERYTHING IN NUTRITION AND LIFE from EVERY EDITION EVER is fantastic."

I am going to blow through a lot of printer ink printing a number of these out for reading on a transatlantic flight next week.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I am going to blow through a lot of printer ink printing a number of these out for reading on a transatlantic flight next week.
    You're welcome for the reference, and I apologize to you and the environment for the extreme use of ink and paper.