I'm very irritated by you "Friend" collectors

Options
I am genuinely pleased when someone asks to be my friend. I take this as a compliment.

Why do you ask to be my friend when you don't speak to me, you don't email me and you do not encourage me.

I don't like this one sided relationship because I comment on your exercise, your diet and offer my encouragement.

Why are people out there collecting MFP friends for no reason but to say they have lots of friends.

I don't use face book or twitter but i have heard this happens there too.

People collectors
I thinks this is very sad.

Replies

• emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree! What's the point in calling someone a "friend" if you don't take the time to keep in touch with them?

I tend to be a bit of a noodge for my friend who is on MFP with me. I respond to all of her posts, even the ones that say she stayed below her calorie goal for the day. This is hard and it's a big deal! And Lord help her if she doesn't log on for 3 days, because then she gets slammed with emails and texts and MFP posts from me. =)

BTW, if you want to be my friend, I'd treat you the same way. And take some time to get to know you a bit, too. =)
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    right on!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    like :drinker:
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I try to comment on all my friends each day or so!
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i have alot of friends on here but i respond to all their posts and i encourage all of them.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    SO agree with you! Got a friend request from someone, and after I accepted it, I noticed that this person had 570 friends?!? WTH!?!? So, after a few days of nothing from this person, he/she got deleted from my friend list! Sorry...
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    yup me too. I don't expect a comment from everyone every single day but I am here for the support..I give it so its nice to get it back :)
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    ME TOO! I go through my list once a week and delete anyone that hasn't been around for me!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I do my best to encourage as many as I can, and I am genuine if I add you as a friend. There are just times that the scroll feature of status updates doesn't alert you that one of your 200+ friends made up update because they come through so fast. So if I'm friends with you, always know that my intentions are the best, and I will definitely post when I see your posts. :happy:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just wish people would be more encouraging...it's always the same 3 people that tell me good job...and yes I'm that type of needy person that needs to hear that I did well today from complete strangers...that's what I'm here for. I don't have a lot of friends, but I find myself collecting more, hoping someone will say "wow that's fantastic"...I sure comment on everyone else's posts...because I know that I want to hear it too
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    LOL i agree talking to a brick wall is no fun =P
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have A LOT of friends. I try to get to every single one. I figure, each and every day they give me encouragement and its my DUTY and my PLEASURE to do the same for them. It a little manic, but I multitask just so I can reach out.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I agree too (I'm not big on emailing, ... but I offer encouragement when time allows). I appreciate the encouragement of my friends when offered. I also appreciate their advice and guidance. It is nice to communicate with people work on similar issues. .... and it brightens up the day too!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. I don't collect friends so to speak. But, I like to add friends so that I can have visibility to other food diaries, exercise routines and message board posts. I'm not opposed to relationships. But, my main goal is to learn as much as I can and I do that a lot by seeing what others do. And I think some of my friends have added me for the same reason.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! And another thing that is bothering me, and maybe it shouldn't but it is.....I feel like if you are on MFP and looking for encouragement, motivation, and suggestions....but have your food diary set to "private", how can we do all those things. I also have a hard time congratualting someone who states they are "under calorie goal" for the day but you can't see what they have eaten. yes you are under, but is your goal set to 2000 calories and you hit 1999 and no excercise? And then the following week are asking for guidance on why the scale isn't moving? I don't look at all my friends food diaries daily, but I like the option (for ideas). Am I wrong?? I am contemplating dropping those friends, but feel bad.....but I am an open book and as far as I can see, no one is on this site to judge......that is what Facebook and Twitter are for, LOL!
  • frenchielover
    Options
    LOL, I just don't accept any friends on here. My goal is to lose weight all by myself and occasionally get a nice feud going on the forums :devil:
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have asked on my profile that you tell me why in your friend request you want to be my friend. I also say that I am looking for positive and encouraging friends as I will be that for you....

But I dislike having people for friends that ignore me and my accomplishments. :sad:
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I go through my list once a week and delete anyone that hasn't been around for me!

Good Idea!!!!!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I agree. I met someone on here that "collects women". He ONLY befriends women and has over 600 of them. Being a psychology major I can't help but think he has some serious self-esteem/ inferiority complex issues going on. I deleted him when I realized I was just one of his cyber ho's. I found out he texts and calls many of his "friends". He actually said he uses this site as a dating site!! I think that's crazy, not to mention creepy!!:explode:
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I do my best to encourage all my friends everyday. Unfortuantly my only internet access is through my phone, and what I can squeeze in at work. I miss far to many people scrolling through on my phone screen. It makes me feel horrible! I try to get to everyone at least 4 times a week.