substitute for croutons?

Options
I love salad, I eat it everyday! I don't use dressing (just lots of seasonings and LOTS of different vegetables) What kills me is croutons. I love them! 25calories for 2 tablespoons? Only 2 croutons can fit on a tablespoon! Yikes..I try to be sparse with them..I just love the crunch with the salad.

Does anyone know a good substitute for croutons? I usually use the seasoned variety.

Thank you!!
<3

Replies

• Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Slivered almonds
  • falonjohle
    falonjohle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    what about sunflower seeds?? I eat them in salad and cottage cheese... plus it adds some protein in..
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds are pretty yummy or you could make your own croutons with low calorie bread!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I say sunflower seeds or sliced almonds as well. I think the sunflower seeds would be cheaper though.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds... you can buy seasoned slivered almonds, they are really delicious.
  • k8mcgowan
    k8mcgowan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Shop around for croutons that are smaller and have a serving size in number of croutons, not in spoons. You can also make your own (seasoned or otherwise). As a substitute my mom used to toast crushed ramen noodles and slivered almonds in a little bit of olive oil. I'm sure they are more calorie-dense than croutons, but they distribute better in the salad and are way more filling.

Hope this helps!
  • vinlop
    vinlop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely the sliced raw almonds. They are so much better for you than croutons and they add the flavor and crunchiness that make salads so good.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    get mission yellow corn tortillas. Season one side. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes. Turn in between. Works for me.
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Flax seeds on salad are awesome!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds are pretty yummy or you could make your own croutons with low calorie bread!

Use nuts to cut down the number of croutons and I agree with making your own! You could even make them out of whole wheat bread so that there is more nutritional value there
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    get mission yellow corn tortillas. Season one side. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes. Turn in between. Works for me.

Or this too, yum!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I vote make your own croutons. It's pretty easy- just cut up the bread and put it in a baggie with some seasoning and then bake it until crunchy. I've done it with my 35 calorie bread slices.

Crackers could work too but I don't know if that would help with calories.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Toasted pecans
  • ericawolf2
    ericawolf2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the Hanover's stuffing cubes that come in a bag seasoned -- they are MUCH smaller and thus would likely yield more bang for your buck. Or google a recipe for homeade croutons and do it with light bread? Another option are the soy crisp noodles -- cruncy and have good flavor! Good luck!
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yep have to agree with our pals here. Make your own using low cal bread, use the slivered almond, sunflower seeds, SOY NUTS have an awesome crunch, baked tortilla chips.....
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I vote make your own croutons. It's pretty easy- just cut up the bread and put it in a baggie with some seasoning and then bake it until crunchy. I've done it with my 35 calorie bread slices.

Crackers could work too but I don't know if that would help with calories.
    I was gonna say this..... Although the other things are okay.....There is no substitute for croutons in my eyes...
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Pistachios
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What is it you like about the croutons? The texture or taste, or something else. I like them because they give a crunch to my salad. I found I can chop carrots into thick slices and get the same satisfaction. If it's the taste you like, perhaps there is some seasoning you can add to your salad that would add the flavor of the croutons you like.
  • lweldo
    lweldo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can try roasted chickpeas! They will give you a crunch, protein and not as much fat as nuts.