substitute for croutons?

Options
2»

Replies

• chevysarah
    chevysarah Posts: 188
    Options
    I like multi grain chips all crunched up on top! Gives the salad a great crunch.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You could make your own with low-cal bread and some garlic salt(:
    That's what I do, it saves tons of calories :P
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas are a great idea and sooooooo yummy. Check the food network for a recipe from Claire Robinson - % ingredients - just decrease the olive oil.
  • funkyfr3sh
    funkyfr3sh Posts: 10
    Options
    Pita Puffs
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    1 slice of light wheat bread is only 35 calories.
    Toast it, rip it up into small squares and voila! CROUTONS :smile:
  • court428
    court428 Posts: 34
    Options
    Maybe look for other brands of croutons. I buy a store brand at my local grocery store, Stater Bros, and 6 croutons is only 30 calories. Six seems like enough for a salad, right?
  • Kahud48
    Kahud48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Simple plain jane everyday air popped corn
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Get some 40 calorie bread, I personally prefer aldi's fit and active bread(very high in fiber). Cut up a slice or two into little cubes put in the oven @ 350 degree's F and bake for like 20 minutes or until its hard like a crouton. Don't add oil or anything else.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Everything everyone here is suggesting is just full of calories, and the whole problem with croutons is how calorie dense they are.

All of the suggestions are great additions to salads, though, for other various reasons.

I too loved the crunch of croutons and wondered how I'd ever do without them. I learned to deal without them.

You can too.

One salad at a time.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    When you weigh them in grams they're a lot more generous than the 1.587 croutons that might fit into a round tablespoon lol why they put this measure on the package I'll never know!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread got me like ...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,758 Member
    Options
    Cut-up raw jicama. Parmesan crisps (also fairly high in calories but much more protein than most croutons or nuts). Dry-roasted soybeans (also some calories, but more protein).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Considering the OP is from 6 years ago, hopefully she has her salad figured out by now :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,758 Member
    Options
    Oops.