I LOOOVEEE Soda but after reading this...

Options
So I've been on a week long soda fast,and it's been HARD,haven't even been allowing myself club soda or anything like that. Anywho I found this online and it kind of reminded why it's not so bad to not drink soda:

Don’t drink cola if you want to be healthy. Consuming soft drinks is bad for so many reasons that science cannot even state all the consequences. If you do drink soft drinks, as well as other sugary foods, you need the two products listed at the bottom of this article.

One thing we know for sure is that drinking Coke, as a representative of soft drinks, wreaks havoc on the human organism. What happens? Writer Wade Meredith has shown the quick progression of Coke’s assault.

The main problem is sugar. It’s an evil that the processed food industry and sugar growers don’t want people to know about. Even dietitians, financially supported by sugar growers and sugary product manufacturers, are loathe to tell us the truth.

Don’t believe that dietitians are influenced by huge corporate concerns that feed people sugar, drugs and other health-defying ingredients? Go to their official website and check out the sponsors yourself. They are right there in plain sight: http://www.eatright.org/corporatesponsors/

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener.
Primary Source: by Wade Meredith

here's the website:http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/#.Te_OZrvUIRV;facebook

it's really interesting

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Zevia all natural Soda's. 0 sugar,0cals. It is sweetened with a plant called Stevia. Loves It!:drinker:
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    I just discovered Zevia all natural Soda's. 0 sugar,0cals. It is sweetened with a plant called Stevia. Loves It!:drinker:

Sounds better than some of the diet pops on the market. Where might I find it? (I know that not all health food or natural grocers carry the same products.)
  • ssheteron
    ssheteron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am ALSO on my first week of no diet coke after drinking them every day for months....good to see what any soda product does (diet or reg) and reminds me why water is so much better! :) Thanks for posting
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I didn't know soda was bad for you! OMG!
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    While I'm not arguing that soda is healthy by any means, the physiology stated there is not entirely accurate.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It is really bad for your teeth too. I remember being scolded by my dentist for drinking pop. It literally ate away enamel on my teeth. Ugh.

I figure if something can remove corrosion from the posts on my battery - I shouldn't be putting it in my body.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking sodas about two years ago. Not because of all the things you listed but just for the fact that they were unhealthy. I felt sooooo much better after giving them up. Also, some sodas have a poison in them. I don't remember what it's called but on some sodas on the nutrition label there is one ingredient that is red in color. This is suppose to be a poison used to kill ants.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    It is really bad for your teeth too. I remember being scolded by my dentist for drinking pop. It literally ate away enamel on my teeth. Ugh.

I figure if something can remove corrosion from the posts on my battery - I shouldn't be putting it in my body.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I nominate this for post of the year. Awesome thanks for posting it!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the Zevia Lemon Lime. I didn't like the aftertaste. Wondering how other flavors are. Any thoughts?
  • superhippiechik
    Options

Sounds better than some of the diet pops on the market. Where might I find it? (I know that not all health food or natural grocers carry the same products.)

I got mine at HEB. They do have a better selection at Health Food Stores
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    I've only tried the Zevia Lemon Lime. I didn't like the aftertaste. Wondering how other flavors are. Any thoughts?

I have tried Ginger Ale and Ginger Root Beer and I Love It!
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    Thank you for posting!!! Eye opening to say the least.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

I have tried Ginger Ale and Ginger Root Beer and I Love It!

My Whole Foods only has Orange, Lemon Lime and Cola. Will have to search out the Ginger Ale, love Ginger Ale.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Baking soda removes corrosion on batteries, too. Does a bang-up job! :smile:
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    So I've been on a week long soda fast,and it's been HARD,haven't even been allowing myself club soda or anything like that. Anywho I found this online and it kind of reminded why it's not so bad to not drink soda:

Don’t drink cola if you want to be healthy. Consuming soft drinks is bad for so many reasons that science cannot even state all the consequences. If you do drink soft drinks, as well as other sugary foods, you need the two products listed at the bottom of this article.

One thing we know for sure is that drinking Coke, as a representative of soft drinks, wreaks havoc on the human organism. What happens? Writer Wade Meredith has shown the quick progression of Coke’s assault.

The main problem is sugar. It’s an evil that the processed food industry and sugar growers don’t want people to know about. Even dietitians, financially supported by sugar growers and sugary product manufacturers, are loathe to tell us the truth.

Don’t believe that dietitians are influenced by huge corporate concerns that feed people sugar, drugs and other health-defying ingredients? Go to their official website and check out the sponsors yourself. They are right there in plain sight: http://www.eatright.org/corporatesponsors/

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
    20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
    40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
    45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
    >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
    >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
    >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
    So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener.
    Primary Source: by Wade Meredith

here's the website:http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/#.Te_OZrvUIRV;facebook

it's really interesting

Thanks for posting! I know a lot of caffeine consumption is bad for you. I quit drinking diet pop about 2 months ago. I feel great! I have had a half a can since that first day but after quiting for a week it didn't even taste good to me. I ha also quit drinking coffee since it has the same vitamin blockage and diuretic effect, but that only lasted a month. I can't seem to kick it because I need to get through the day without being tired. Keep it up! :)
  • chevy88grl
    Options

True. And I don't eat baking soda either. ;)
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Amen to that! Lol
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sobe Lifewater and Vitamin water make drinks with Stevia as well, that's pretty much all that I drink and they are everywhere, usually cheaper at kroger and albertson's with sales but walmart has them. They only sweeten with stevia too so there isn't anything artificial in them.
  • superhippiechik
    Options

True. And I don't eat baking soda either. ;)

Baking Soda is in most Toothpastes and reccomended for heartburn.