MFP Cycle Gang--09/22/2008

Another week! I'm keeping it light this week since I've pedaling the bike leg in the Triathlon on Saturday. But, I got in 21 miles this morning. Think I'll ride tomorrow and Wednesday then take off until Saturday--depends on the winds here, too. There's yet another front moving in that's supposed to brings 25-30mph winds in mid-week.

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Another week! I'm keeping it light this week since I've pedaling the bike leg in the Triathlon on Saturday. But, I got in 21 miles this morning. Think I'll ride tomorrow and Wednesday then take off until Saturday--depends on the winds here, too. There's yet another front moving in that's supposed to brings 25-30mph winds in mid-week.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm setting my goal at 75 miles this week.

Five buddies and I are doing the Rosarito-Ensenada bike ride on Saturday (well along with 5,000 of our closest friends). It's a ton of fun. Viva Mexico!
  • shorerider
    I'm setting my goal at 75 miles this week.

Five buddies and I are doing the Rosarito-Ensenada bike ride on Saturday (well along with 5,000 of our closest friends). It's a ton of fun. Viva Mexico!

that sounds awesome! How far is that anyway? Road or MTB?
  • dothompson
    that sounds awesome! How far is that anyway? Road or MTB?

It is awesome! It's 52 miles, you'd love the fact that about 2/3 of it is right along the beach. It's a road ride, but I have a mountain bike, so I'm pretty slow. Almost the entire route the road is lined with people who come out to cheer you on. All the bikers carry candy and throw it to the children along the route. It has a real community party event feeling. I get to enjoy all that's wonderful about Mexico without any of the problems. It's a fundraiser for the Cruz Roja (Red Cross) in Baja California. Unfortunately, due to the problems in Mexico the number of riders has declined from 10,000 to 5,000 and they say that this will be the last one.

Here's a link if you want more info.

http://rosaritoensenada.com/
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I'll only be biking twice this week: a short ride and then the triathlon on Sunday, so my goal is less than 30 miles.

Good luck on Saturday, Shore! Have fun in Mexico Dothompson! Sounds like a great ride.
  • shorerider
    I'll only be biking twice this week: a short ride and then the triathlon on Sunday, so my goal is less than 30 miles.

Good luck on Saturday, Shore! Have fun in Mexico Dothompson! Sounds like a great ride.

Wow--another Tri? Still doing the Seagull?
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Well I got 10 in this morning. We are doing our metric century ride Saturday. I am trying to take it easy this week so my legs are ready for that. That will be the farthest I have ever gone. Say a prayer. I am nervous!
  • dothompson

Congratulations on the Triathlon, quite an accompishment. I did a sprint distance one a year ago May. That's why I'm here trying to get back to that weight.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Will only be able to ride tomorrow & maybe Saturday. I will try to ride 50 miles.
    good luck to everyone on their events this weekend!!!
  • shorerider
    Well I got 10 in this morning. We are doing our metric century ride Saturday. I am trying to take it easy this week so my legs are ready for that. That will be the farthest I have ever gone. Say a prayer. I am nervous!

A metric! Cool! You'll do fine. Then you'll be ready for the Century next!
  • jadaigle

Wow--another Tri? Still doing the Seagull?

Sunday will be my 4th triathlon of the season. My next one won't be until May. I'm still doing the Seagull. I'm just going to skip the last long ride (I was going to do an 80 mile ride this week) and try to smile my way through it.
  • shorerider
    Sunday will be my 4th triathlon of the season. My next one won't be until May. I'm still doing the Seagull. I'm just going to skip the last long ride (I was going to do an 80 mile ride this week) and try to smile my way through it.

Great! Sure wish I could do it--I'd love to have the Jersey; it looks pretty cool. They don't offer Jerseys for the "Ride Between the Waters' either :frown: I suggested to them that they should. Heck, I'd buy 2! I've found that there is a big difference in wearing a jersey vs. T-shirt when riding. Going to try to get a 1-way ride in this afternoon (going with the northeast wind). DH said he'd pick me up down the road somewhere so I wouldn't have to fight this wind again. The next 3 days here are supposed to be horrible weather! Glad it's coinciding for my slow-down in prep for the Tri.
  • jadaigle
    I just checked the weather since we'll be in Lewes, DE for the tri. Windy tomorrow here, cloudy and rainy all weekend on the shore.

I just finished 7 miles on my bike trainer.

Oh, the jersey is from my triathlon club. I wear it in races to promote cheering for me. :happy: Cotton is the enemy when you are working out. That's how Under Armour got so big so fast. :laugh:
  • shorerider
    I was determined to ride today since Wed/Thurs we are expecting a Nor'Easter to hit--so I went out in 20mph steady winds with gusts to 32mph! BUT I had a route mapped out that only gave me head winds for 4 miles of a 15 mile loop--thank goodness, too! It was BRUTAL! I was down to 8mph at one point. Then, I hit 25 mph with it at my back!

plane8zh.gif Talk about flying!

anyway, that gives me 36 for the week. No riding tomorrow, Thursday, and maybe Friday--then the Tri on Saturday! 42.gif
  • shorerider
    Well, I was able to get in a ride this morning after all! Winds were only 12mph, so rather than have 3 days with no riding before Tri, I set out to get in 1 more ride. Same route as yesterday (15 miles) but I shaved 6 minutes off yesterday's time! Did it in 55mins--that makes average speed of 16.4mph. Not to bad I think--hope there's no wind for the Tri on Saturday though! n120.gif
  • jadaigle
    Good luck on Saturday! I'm so glad you are so excited about it. Please let me know how it went.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    I just checked the weather since we'll be in Lewes, DE for the tri. Windy tomorrow here, cloudy and rainy all weekend on the shore.

Oh, the jersey is from my triathlon club. I wear it in races to promote cheering for me. :happy: Cotton is the enemy when you are working out. That's how Under Armour got so big so fast. :laugh:

I noticed you mentioned bike trainer. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a trainer or stationary bike for the ugly winter months. My main goal is to burn calories. I was curious what your experience has been with your Trainer. Brand type you use and wether you would buy a differant one.

Thanks for the time.
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Oooh cyclists! Hi gang! I love to ride! :love: Mike the Bike and I did the Tour for Woodside last Sunday. We did the 55 miler as it had only (?) 2600 feet of climbing. The century was well over 4000 - next year for sure though. My next event is a metric century in Sonoma called the Asti Tour de Vine :drinker: (www.astitourdevine.com). I talked DH into riding the 50k (he's not a cyclist :noway: )

Ce-fit - I use a trainer a lot, even in the summer, as I do a lot of riding before 6AM. I contemplated a spin bike, but first the trainer is a lot cheaper (if you go the spin bike route - get a GOOD one as the lesser ones tend to be less stable) and as my goal is to train to ride my bike, I figured the best way to do that is to ride my bike. :tongue: I have a cadence meter on a cyclometer that is attached to my rear wheel. Right now I am focused on increasing my spin cadence. I get quite the workout, I'll tell you. I simply love Spinervals and Cardio Coach. But for simply losing weight - either the trainer or the spin bike will work - it depends on what you are more comfortable with.
  • shorerider
    Welcome! Sounds like you've got some impressive riding experience, too!
  • jadaigle

I noticed you mentioned bike trainer. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a trainer or stationary bike for the ugly winter months. My main goal is to burn calories. I was curious what your experience has been with your Trainer. Brand type you use and wether you would buy a differant one.

Thanks for the time.

Mine is a Kinetic which I bought online after looking at it in my local bike shop. It's got a sealed fluid chamber and it is SUPER quiet, which means I can use it at 5:30 in the morning inside the house. It was a bit pricey but I got a good deal on it on-line (www.all3sports.com). I bought the accessories at my local bike shop (a mat, a riser block and a bike "thong"--keeps sweat from corroding your bike).

There are less expensive models out there; I went high end because I had a gift certificate and I needed something that could take the constant use that my husband and I would give it, and because it's quiet. I would definitely go with a trainer; I've never priced stationary bikes but I suspect a trainer is cheaper and it gives you the advantage of riding your bike.

I like my trainer. The only thing I did notice is it was wearing down the rear tire and kicking lots of debris on the wall, but I have since realized that I wasn't centering it correctly. Once I corrected that, the wear on the tire has lessened.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers-c-7-l-en.html
    http://www.all3sports.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=bike+trainer&search_in_description=1&x=0&y=0