MFP Cycle Gang--09/22/2008

Options

Replies

• ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Oooh cyclists! Hi gang! I love to ride! :love: Mike the Bike and I did the Tour for Woodside last Sunday. We did the 55 miler as it had only (?) 2600 feet of climbing. The century was well over 4000 - next year for sure though. My next event is a metric century in Sonoma called the Asti Tour de Vine :drinker: (www.astitourdevine.com). I talked DH into riding the 50k (he's not a cyclist :noway: )

Ce-fit - I use a trainer a lot, even in the summer, as I do a lot of riding before 6AM. I contemplated a spin bike, but first the trainer is a lot cheaper (if you go the spin bike route - get a GOOD one as the lesser ones tend to be less stable) and as my goal is to train to ride my bike, I figured the best way to do that is to ride my bike. :tongue: I have a cadence meter on a cyclometer that is attached to my rear wheel. Right now I am focused on increasing my spin cadence. I get quite the workout, I'll tell you. I simply love Spinervals and Cardio Coach. But for simply losing weight - either the trainer or the spin bike will work - it depends on what you are more comfortable with.

Welcome! Cycling in California sounds like a lot of fun. Tour of wine country, oh the sacrafices! :drinker:

What type of trainer do you have?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Shore and Jadaigle have a great time on your respective tri races. I can't wait to hear how they were. There is one in May that is 2 days before my 50th birthday. I think working hard to get the weight of and get fit for it would be a great birthday present to myself.
  • ce_fit
    Options
    Shore and Jadaigle have a great time on your respective tri races. I can't wait to hear how they were. There is one in May that is 2 days before my 50th birthday. I think working hard to get the weight of and get fit for it would be a great birthday present to myself.

Have to agree with you, getting in shape for your 50th is an awesome idea ( my 50th is March). I also think in a sadistic way you competing in a Triathalon would be a great present for yourself!!!:bigsmile: Good luck, go for it!!
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    [Welcome! Cycling in California sounds like a lot of fun. Tour of wine country, oh the sacrafices! :drinker:

What type of trainer do you have?

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I do appreciate it. Cyclists are such cool people!

Ce-Fit - yeah, a Tour of the Wine Country is horrid. *sigh* But someone has to do it! :tongue:

I have a Cyclops Fluid Trainer. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get a Kinetics or Blackburn as I'm not impressed with this Cyclops - it works well for my road bike, but not for my mountain bike. And I already had to replace the little yellow handle on the back once.

I have had other Cyclops Trainers that were great, though...

And if you can swing it, go fluid - very quiet - you can hear Evil Coach Troy if you choose to do so. :P
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Oooh cyclists! Hi gang! I love to ride! :love: Mike the Bike and I did the Tour for Woodside last Sunday. We did the 55 miler as it had only (?) 2600 feet of climbing. The century was well over 4000 - next year for sure though. My next event is a metric century in Sonoma called the Asti Tour de Vine :drinker: (www.astitourdevine.com). I talked DH into riding the 50k (he's not a cyclist :noway: )

Ce-fit - I use a trainer a lot, even in the summer, as I do a lot of riding before 6AM. I contemplated a spin bike, but first the trainer is a lot cheaper (if you go the spin bike route - get a GOOD one as the lesser ones tend to be less stable) and as my goal is to train to ride my bike, I figured the best way to do that is to ride my bike. :tongue: I have a cadence meter on a cyclometer that is attached to my rear wheel. Right now I am focused on increasing my spin cadence. I get quite the workout, I'll tell you. I simply love Spinervals and Cardio Coach. But for simply losing weight - either the trainer or the spin bike will work - it depends on what you are more comfortable with.

What are Spinervals and Cardio Coach? Audios or videos?
  • andtckrtoo
    Options
    What are Spinervals and Cardio Coach? Audios or videos?

Spinervals are DVD's (although he does have 2 or 3 CD's). They are not fancy - basically Coach Troy (or Evil Coach Troy as I call him) and a group of cyclists. But Coach Troy is a Triathlete himself and he knows how to train. He goes over technique and helps you work to build speed and endurance. They are tough - many are over 90 minutes (he has a few 3 hour and longer, too) - but when it's a cold rainy day here in sunny California, I can still pop on my trainer and get in a good, hard long ride. I have a cyclometer with a cadence meter that reaches to my back tire so I measure speed, distance and cadence while doing these.

Cardio Coach is audio - you can get a CD or download to an MP3 player. They are interval training too, but Coach Sean (no evil here) is very inspirational. It's not sappy inspiration - but when I finish a cardio coach (especially Press Play - my favorite), I feel ready to take on the world. The music in Press Play was written by Jim MacLaren who is pretty incredible himself (http://www.jimmaclaren.com/about.htm). Those days where I don't feel motivated and I'm feeling down, I load my bike on my trainer and play this - if Jim can face the world with such positivity after what he's gone through, I certainly have no room to complain.

Spinervals - www.spinervals.com
    Cardio Coach - www.cardiocoach.com

Hope everyone has fabulous rides this weekend! Those of you in Kyle's way - take care!

Shorerider - I'm sending thoughts of speed and agility to you! Enjoy your race!!
    DoThompson - Have fun with the ride you're doing! It sounds heavenly!!
    Jadaigle - A Tri this weekend?! Thoughts of speed and agility to you, too!
    Bambi - Enjoy your Metric Century!!! I'm sure you'll do great.
  • ce_fit
    Options

Ce-Fit - yeah, a Tour of the Wine Country is horrid. *sigh* But someone has to do it! :tongue:

Once your riding is done and you are enjoying a nice Merlot think of all of us and have a second!:drinker:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Our metric century ride is tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed b/c I have a cold and am not sure how I am going to do it!!!
  • andtckrtoo
    Options
    Ce_Fit - Absolutely! It should be a phenomenal ride. When I'm done, I promise to raise a glass of the best merlot to the ladies (and gents if there are any here) on the forum! I'm really looking forward to it.

Bambi - my daughter's boyfriend and I did Tour for Woodside last weekend (sounds really weird I know - but he's a good kid). He had a head cold and found that riding actually helped it. I hope you find the same!

My goal this weekend is to do ride a 60 miler with rolling hills. I'm tired of a lot of vertical right now - I just want fun!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Not sure I'll sleep tonight! I'm so excited!!

Weather is supposed to be 75 degrees tomorrow with winds SE at 5--woohoo.gif

Can't wait!

Hope all enjoy their rides this weekend--what an active bunch we are!!

fiets124.gif
  • andtckrtoo
    Options
    Shorerider - Ride STRONG!! I cannot wait to see the race report!!

Today I was off the bike - took Jimmy the dog and my DH on a hike. It was a nice change of pace.

Happy riding vibes to everyone! I'll be joining you tomorrow!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Tri was a no-go.The organizers still had it but my team and I pulled it--it POURED rain! Buckets, sheets, big huge fat rain drops! For hours! With thunder and lightening2823v2yu.gif

My swimmer was afraid to go into the water with the lightening, and I couldn't see a thing with my glasses, so we forfeited the fee and left. :cry: :cry: The organizers really should have cancelled it. A lot of people were pulling out.

So, no Tri for me deprimetriste294230fr.gif

But it's finally stopped raining, and I"m considering going for a ride now before dark.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I did it! I finished the 62 mile ride on my hybrid! My hubby finished like an hour before me and the first words out of my mouth were..."not doing this again without a road bike!" I average 12.9 miles per hour which is good for me on hybrid and the distance. I actually felt pretty good after. In fact I probably could have done a little more. By next year when they hold this ride I want to do the whole century. I didn't think that I ever would want to, but I do. So 2905 calories later I finished. I thought I would eat all afternoon, but I have not been all that hungry. Going to watch a little more football and then off to bed!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I did it! I finished the 62 mile ride on my hybrid! My hubby finished like an hour before me and the first words out of my mouth were..."not doing this again without a road bike!" I average 12.9 miles per hour which is good for me on hybrid and the distance. I actually felt pretty good after. In fact I probably could have done a little more. By next year when they hold this ride I want to do the whole century. I didn't think that I ever would want to, but I do. So 2905 calories later I finished. I thought I would eat all afternoon, but I have not been all that hungry. Going to watch a little more football and then off to bed!!

toot0vz.gif

GREAT JOB!

Good average, too!
  • andtckrtoo
    Options

WAY TO GO BAMBI!!!! You should be pretty darned proud of yourself! 62 miles on a hybrid and managing to average 12.9 mph is excellent!! Ar e you looking into road bikes? It's so exciting to pick out a new steed!

Just a word to the wise - be sure to eat, though, as if you don't today, you will tomorrow with a vengence. I know this from unfortunate experience. :ohwell:
  • andtckrtoo
    Options
    Shorerider - I'm so sorry to hear your ride was cancelled, but it sounds like you all used sound judgement! I, too, cannot believe the race was not cancelled. It's so not worth a life just to race.

By the way - I love your story and I love your photo! You are such encouragement and inspiration!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options

WAY TO GO BAMBI!!!! You should be pretty darned proud of yourself! 62 miles on a hybrid and managing to average 12.9 mph is excellent!! Ar e you looking into road bikes? It's so exciting to pick out a new steed!

Just a word to the wise - be sure to eat, though, as if you don't today, you will tomorrow with a vengence. I know this from unfortunate experience. :ohwell:

Yes, I am now on the hunt for a road bike. We have two very nice Trek hybrids that were purchased in May and June and plan on taking them to the bike shop and see what we can get for trade or possibly selling them on craigs list or ebay.
  • dothompson
    Options
    Tri was a no-go.The organizers still had it but my team and I pulled it--it POURED rain! Buckets, sheets, big huge fat rain drops! For hours! With thunder and lightening.

Gosh, what a drag. I know how much you were looking forward to this. I hope that you can find another soon that you can participate in.
  • dothompson
    Options
    The Rosarito-Ensenada Bike ride was a ton of fun. It was a little foggy in the morning, but burned off and was an absolutely beautiful day. Very fun ride along the Baja coast. Very long day! I'll post pictures soon.

Today my plans are to watch other guys exercise on TV. Go Chargers.
  • dothompson
    Options

Great job! Have fun working for that Century.