Any good Kangaroo recipes?

Options
13»

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I just had some this weekend for the first time. I made a yogurt tandoori rub and marinated it for about 3 hours. Take about 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1-2 tbsp any vinegar you like, and approx 1-2 tbsp honey and 2-3 garlic cloves chopped 1/2inch piece of ginger root chopped. Then in a separate dish mix the spices. 1 tsp cumin, a pinch of garam masala, 1/2 tsp paprika, salt, black pepper, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. I always smell the spices and see if I need/want to add anything else in. Once you have your spice combination mix with the yogurt and other wet ingredients. Completely coat the entire piece of meat and just let it sit. I use this for lamb to, and I think the best way to eat it is grilled. The butcher told me to cook if very fast, it was raining the day I cooked it so I didn't grill it, but I pan seared it with a bit of oil. 4 minutes on each side. Grilling it will be healthier because you don't need the added oil, just make sure to keep it healthy use natural charcoal not them chemical drenched charcoal bricks.
  • narainonandroid
    narainonandroid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    do ppl eat kangaroo too????
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Of course people eat Kangaroo...lol People eat everything! I have heard of some crazy things that people eat so nothing surprises me anymore....lol
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    very interesting i really didnt know people ate kangaroo. good to know :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK at the moment and I miss 'roo steak sooo much!! It's tastey as hell and so good for you - lean with lots of protein!

I like it chopped into large chunks, stir fried briefly in garlic and then add soy sauce right at the end - the meat literally soaks it up.

Nomnomnomnomnoms!

You definately have to like your steak rare to appreciate kangaroo - as previously stated it dries out and gets very hard to chew if you over cook it. I like my steak cooked blue, so it's perfect for me.

I'm actually drooling a little just thinking about it... (Yes, I'm basically a carnivore..)

Oh, and if you can get them - kanga banga's ('roo sausages) are tastey too!

You can buy kangaroo meat in the UK - but it's expensive and I don't really think it's worth the effort as it's always been frozen which doesn't do the texture any favours. There's plenty of venison of course but ostrich is probably the best substitute.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I like Kangaroo too and have cooked it on and off for a few years, I fry it like a rare steak or I stir fry it with vegetables. All very yummy, I have never found it to have a strong flavour. It is good because it is naturally lean and obviously lower in fat, so a good choice for meat.
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes in Australia we eat our national emblems.

My favourite way to eat kanagaroo: Bring roo to room temperature before cooking. Brush a 3/4 inch thick roo steak with macadamia nut oil, very lightly salt and put it on the preheated bbq (chargrill) on high to seal (both sides) and then turn it down to low to medium for a couple of minutes each side. Do not overlook roo or it will be tough. Coat a plate with baby spinach and Let the leaves soften/wilt under a layer of hot slow cooked potato (with skins on) lightly crushed with little salt and garlic and lite sour cream then stack the roo steak on top of that potato and generously drizzle over with a reduced port glaze - enough to mingle with the wilted greens and crushed creamy garlic potato. Serve with a nice Duriff or at least a big Shiraz. Mmmmm .... Kangaroo. This is my favorite way to eat it. Just the combination of flavours and the rich port glaze go so well with roo. I have rock wallabies in the front yard, and they don't look as nervous as they should hahaha ;-)
  • writinwater
    Options
    You can buy kangaroo meat in the UK - but it's expensive and I don't really think it's worth the effort as it's always been frozen which doesn't do the texture any favours. There's plenty of venison of course but ostrich is probably the best substitute.

Thanks, Sally! Nothing beats fresh, does it

Will definitely look out for ostrich!