When do you work out???

Options
I need to get into a good routine! No more excuses. I work shift work 2 days 2 nights then 5 off.......I have 4 kids all 12 and under.........a husband,.....a house to run and I am exhausted. I think I need to start getting up at 5am to get my workouts in even though I am NOT a morning person. In bed by 9pm in order to do that. So when do you work out. What works best for you?? Do you eat first? How do you do it. lol I need help ;)

Replies

• lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have to work out in the mornings because I work the mid day shift. I also enjoy working out in the mornings, it helps me get my day going.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am, eat, get my daughter ready for school, drop her off and then work out.

However, if you are pressed for time, instead of trying to get in a full work out, maybe 3 or 4 smaller ones throughout the day would work better for you.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the morning. It make the day better.
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started small and only worked out during my lunch hours (only 20min). Now I get up at 5am to get an hour in of cardio and I work out at lunch and after work. You need something doable that will then become a habit. Everyday for 30min, even if it a walk with all the kids!! I have 2 kids, a FT job, hubby, home.... So.... Get it in!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I work midnight shifts, and I get up and do 20 minute work outs before I eat and get ready for work. On days I am off, I try and do more. But I aim for 20-30 minutes of either a DVD or just straight cardio.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    Monday-Friday, I run or hit the gym on my lunch hour. On Sundays, I get up at 5 a.m. and run, go to the gym, then home by 9 to go to church. I have 4 kids, 7 years old and under. My youngest is 9 months old. It is hard. I used to get up at 5 a.m. Monday - Friday, but just cannot do it right now. Find a time that will work for you and then stick with it. Once you do, getting up early will get easier.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch. And I walk around my building (or block when it is nice) ~1 mile on breaks. But I am spoiled with a gym in my building. But I think walking by itself is great, and if you want more you could carry weights. Good luck with that struggle! I can't imagine!
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have 2 littles ones so I just work out whenever I can, sometimes its only 10 minutes at a time, but better then nothing!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I work out when I have the opportunity. Since I usually do Metabolic Resistance Training, a resistance training based HIIT program, the workouts usually only last 20-30 minutes. When I have the opportunity I do longer stuff like cycling (summer) and cross country skiing (winter) and various other things. Thankfully, I have time for that.

I would suggest that since time is a limiting factor for you, go for HIIT since it can maximize your workout time.

You might want to try Tabata training. A whole workout with warm-up and cool-down would be about 10 minutes. Basically it is taking an exercise you can do as hard as possible for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds. repeat that pattern 8 times. That is 4 minutes, add a 4 minute warm-up and a 2 minute walking cool down and you have a 10 minute workout that will push you to the limit. I have done it using what has been called Tabata thrusters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNTW7B09VJg&feature=related but you can do this with various exercises. I have done it on my bike, doing mountain climbers, jumping jacks, squat thrusts and more. Basically any exercise you can do at as close to maximum effort with good form. As for timing, you can find various mp3 files that signal start and stop times and other things as well.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    During the work week, I get up at 4:30 and work out for 1 hour. On the weekends, I'm a bit more flexible on time.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    And I forgot to mention that I too have the kids, job, house and hubby:wink: I think you just have to carve out that bit of time for yourself and even 20-30 minutes is good!
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    monday thru friday i work 9-5 (sometimes earlier depending on sea turtle activity) and then work out before dinner. saturday i take an off day and sunday i workout as soon as i wake up and before breakfast.
  • kklemencic
    kklemencic Posts: 45
    Options
    I work out every morning M-F at 5:30 am, I was never a morning person and it took me about 2 weeks to adjust to the new schedule. I go to a 7 am cycle class Saturday mornings. I really like getting my workout done for the day and if time permits or I feel like double dippin' I can! On my way I start drinking water and eat a few unsalted almonds.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do different classes Mon-Sat @10:30am. I work 'til 2:30am so I'm just waking up when I first get there. No eating beforehand, just some water- it takes a while for me to even realize I want to eat in the morning so it works out perfectly this way. Then I've already started my day with exercise, so it's easier to keep up the momentum the rest of the day, eating well.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I almost always work out at night. The kids are all taken care of and I can focus on me completely. It also seems to help me get rid of the days stress and sleep better.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have to wake up at 5am to work out too, I know it is the only way I will. I can tell myself all day I will workout at night after work but I after I get off work and cook dinner my motivation is gone. I think you just have to find what works best for you though!
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks for you all your replies. You are all such an inspiration!!

I have decided to get up at 5:15am and work out from 5:30 till aprox 7:00am most days of the week. (it will depend on my night shifts which days I take off) I will drive to the gym and start working out!!!! I am actually really excited to have a plan!!

Do you think I should eat 1st though?
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    All you crazy morning people! I almost always run at night. I'm starting a new job that will be 9-6 M-F and I'm going to try to switch to the AM, but I find if I work out at night I feel better in the morning. I feel thin, if that makes sense?
  • GhettoTrucker
    Options
    In the morning...
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    During The work week, I meet up with a cowork at 6 am to take our dogs hiking. Definitely helps to get out of bed to know my friend is waiting for me bright and early! Weekends I workout whenever there is time.