Shin Splints

Any of you runners have any shin splint miracles???? My right leg kills me after about 15 minutes of jogging and I can't seem to get past that. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Any of you runners have any shin splint miracles???? My right leg kills me after about 15 minutes of jogging and I can't seem to get past that. Any suggestions?
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    I switched from outside or treadmill walking/jogging/running to the elliptical in my gym and it is AMAZING. I no longer have that problem. Even if I do the treadmill every other day, with the elliptical in-between it really really helps.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    A buddy of mine has the same problem. He started alternating running and walking.

Also, how often do you replace your shoes? And what surface are you running on? If it's a treadmill, the pad may need to be replaced. If it's outside, you may want to check your form. You could be running too hard or not doing a full follow through on your steps.

:flowerforyou:
  • I replace my shoes every 6-8 months I would say. I run both outside and on the treadmill but it usually hurts worse on the treadmill. For some reason, I have a complete mental block against the elliptical! I have tried to do more of it....especially when the shin starts hurting. I supposed my body does not want to run!
  • Fab140
    If you are an avid runner, I hate to tell you, you need to be trading up those shoes at least every 4 months. They break down and then you're left in pain. :ohwell: And that is no good!! AJCM said she keeps a couple of pairs on hand to rotate.

I have an impossible time with the elliptical. (it took me 6 times to spell that and I don't even think that was correct!!!:laugh: )

If you're running indoors, it could be your extension is off. I've read that a lot of runners tend to hold back on the treadmill instead of going with their full extension and really tend to put more pressure on their shins.

:flowerforyou: This is just research that I have done in the past, things might have changed or the source may not be accrurate. The only cure for shin splints is to rest. And figure out how you're getting them to prevent ever getting them again!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    You need to be very careful with shin splints. This is not a condition that easily fixed is often confused (and easily so because their very similar in condition) with chronic compartment syndrome.

Are you an experienced runner or are you just getting started?

Do you know much about shin splints? If not here's a brief summary: Shin splints is the general name given to pain at the front of the lower leg. Shin splints is not a diagnosis in itself but a description of symptoms of which there could be a number of causes. The most common cause is inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding the bone). Traction forces occur from the muscles of the lower leg on the periostium causing shin pain and inflammation.

Here's more detail to look at as well: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php

Good luck
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    If you want to ease pain, I have something. Take a dixie cup and fill it with water and freeze it.
    Then, once it is frozen, tear away a small part of the cup. Make small circles with the ice on your shins.
    I had shin splits when I played basketball and this helps with some of the pain.
    Use a paper cup that way you can tear the more it melts. Keep a towel under you!!!
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member

If you're running indoors, it could be your extension is off. I've read that a lot of runners tend to hold back on the treadmill instead of going with their full extension and really tend to put more pressure on their shins.

:flowerforyou: This is just research that I have done in the past, things might have changed or the source may not be accrurate. The only cure for shin splints is to rest. And figure out how you're getting them to prevent ever getting them again!
    I was getting horrible shin splits during the winter which is when I use my treadmill. Then when the weather started warming up and I was running outside - no shin splits..even if I ran everyday. But if I jumped back on the treadmill for a day (maybe it was raining) I'd get the shin splints. I found that I was running differently on the treadmill - just like Fab pointed out. I think I was afraid of the treadmill - but now that I am aware of the issue, I force myself to run "normal" and I no longer get the shin splints on the treadmill. Rest is the only thing that will help. Make sure you give it enough rest...it can take weeks to be fully healed.
  • Fab140
    If you want to ease pain, I have something. Take a dixie cup and fill it with water and freeze it.
    Then, once it is frozen, tear away a small part of the cup. Make small circles with the ice on your shins.
    I had shin splits when I played basketball and this helps with some of the pain.
    Use a paper cup that way you can tear the more it melts. Keep a towel under you!!!

Ooo....I'll do this the next time I run into the coffee table.....:laugh:
  • Fab140

I was getting horrible shin splits during the winter which is when I use my treadmill. Then when the weather started warming up and I was running outside - no shin splits..even if I ran everyday. But if I jumped back on the treadmill for a day (maybe it was raining) I'd get the shin splints. I found that I was running differently on the treadmill - just like Fab pointed out. I think I was afraid of the treadmill - but now that I am aware of the issue, I force myself to run "normal" and I no longer get the shin splints on the treadmill. Rest is the only thing that will help. Make sure you give it enough rest...it can take weeks to be fully healed.

And stretching makes a world of difference!! We always stretch the big muscles but we are always forgetting the little ones!!
  • I agree agree agree with everyone!! A friend of mine, who also plays basketball, told me about he Dixie cup trick. I have not tried it yet...I usually just use an ice pack. To answer a few of your questions....I am not an avid runner. It is just something I have been trying to add to the agenda to melt the fat. I do every other kind of cardio in the world but running is something I have never been successful with. Have I mentioned I am extremely STUBBORN!! The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.....Unfortunately this leads to very angry shins! I do need to get someone who knows what they are doing to watch my form. That very well may be the problem. But like someone else said, I don't get them outside much either. Do you think it is because the terrain is always changing, unlike the treadmill?? Different muscles are recruited or at least at different forces. Who knows?????

Moral of the story....Rest, ice, and check form....Got it!
  • Fab140
    Check out the latest issue of Hers. It has a whole thing on running, beginner to pro. It should help! :flowerforyou: