Cooking Challenge: Garlic

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the thirty-fourth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from mamaturner, the winner of the coconut cooking challenge.

garlic1.jpg

This week's challenge is GARLIC.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday June 18th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ooo this sounds fun. I'm gonna do thisss
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We love, love garlic! I can't wait to see what everyone picks!
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just made spinach with garlic today. My children love spinach made this way the best. :)
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump...:tongue:
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Jenn's Green Beans
    INGREDIENTS: 1 can of Green Beans, 2 TBS Garlic, powder, minced, crushed, whatever you have on hand, 1 TBS Oscar Mayer Bacon Bits
    DIRECTIONS: Put it all into a small pan on the stove and simmer till green beans are cooked through.
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 54
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 5
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: My kids can eat this all day. They love green beans and I thought I would try it this way because we love garlic.

We add garlic to everything so I thought that this would be the easiest to post. My mom makes a roasted garlic spread with some oil and tiny tiny bread slices, if anyone is interested I can ask her how she does it. BUT it is very bad for you! I mean VERY bad, so that is why I didn't use that for my entry.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Just made spinach with garlic today. My children love spinach made this way the best. :)

If you aren't going to use that for this challenge, can you message me the recipe? Maybe I can get the kids to eat it. They like it in their subway sandwiches and that it. Thanks

Jenn
  • nybor101
    nybor101 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Love garlic! Can't wait to get some new recipes!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share those garlic recipes!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    BUMP- will post my recipe later when I've thought about it :o)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Ooooh looking forward to viewing these, I love garlic, add it to almost every savoury dish I make. If I can think of any of my recipes that are more that just adding it to anything i'll post.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    got this from an Italian friend - very basic but her gran used to cook it all the time:

spaghetti
    garlic finely chopped (as many cloves as you dare - the more the better)
    couple of fresh chili peppers finely chopped
    olive oil
    lots of parsley finely chopped

cook pasta, cook garlic and chili peppers in olive oil until smelling divine, throw in the finely chopped parsley

serve with parmesan.

Calories mostly depend on how much oil (it's Italian - it screams for plenty of oil), pasta and parmesan you add.

I sometimes vary this with a finely chopped mushroom and maybe an anchovy. Takes barely anytime to cook so a great one fot the time-pressed.

ps. love the idea of a cooking challenge.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    How long does the challenge go for??

(bumpity bump)

Amber
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    bump! LOOOOVE garlic! good thing my husband does too, i dont think things could have worked out between us otherwise :p
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    How long does the challenge go for??

(bumpity bump)

Amber

Until Saturday the 18th at 5PM PST :)
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Bump! This sounds so fun!!!
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness I'm totally in.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Chicken Tikka Masala

INGREDIENTS:
    2 tsp canola oil
    1 small onion, minced
    1 tbsp ginger, peeled and minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
    4 oz fat free plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp garam masala
    1 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    16 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Heat oil in a skillet. Add the onions and cook until golden. Add the garlic and ginger until fragrant.

2. Mix in the spices and cook for less than a minute.

3. Mix in the tomatoes, milk, and yogurt. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken. Simmer the sauce with the chicken for 15 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 226
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: It tasted super delicious. I love Indian food as it is, so this was definitely a plus! If you're curious about the bread in the picture check out my blog: http://lawstudentscookbook.blogspot.com/2011/06/chicken-tikka-masala-and-sweet-potato.html
    PICTURE (optional):
    IMG_5360.jpg
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Yum... I'll be watching this one for garlicky recipes! I can't live without garlic.