I have determined I need a hobby.... What's yours

13»

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I knit and read. Knitting is good hobby for weight loss, in my opinion because I never ever eat or drink while knitting because I am afraid of spilling on my yarn/project. I learned to knit as an adult and it is pretty easy once you get going.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    I have too many! They seem to get put on the back-burner until someone goes out of town or the weather is gloomy (which rarely happens in SoCal, except for "May gray" and "June gloom").

- Jewelery making. I have a lot of necklaces and earrings that are pretty, but not quite my style. I've re-purposed a lot of the dangle earrings or tiny jewelery pendants into multi-strand necklaces.
    - Scrapbooking: FANTASTIC for keeping down clutter. I've got scrapbooks for wedding cards and notes, camping pictures, "childhood" (includes drawings, report cards, etc).
    - Perfume making: A little more ingredient intensive, but I adore creating my own scents and knowing there's no harmful chemicals in them.
    - Reading (if anyone is a fan of any book series, let me know. I read every evening & I've already gone through Twilight, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Millenium Series, & Sookie Stackhouse).
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    I have too many! They seem to get put on the back-burner until someone goes out of town or the weather is gloomy (which rarely happens in SoCal, except for "May gray" and "June gloom").

- Jewelery making. I have a lot of necklaces and earrings that are pretty, but not quite my style. I've re-purposed a lot of the dangle earrings or tiny jewelery pendants into multi-strand necklaces.
    - Scrapbooking: FANTASTIC for keeping down clutter. I've got scrapbooks for wedding cards and notes, camping pictures, "childhood" (includes drawings, report cards, etc).
    - Perfume making: A little more ingredient intensive, but I adore creating my own scents and knowing there's no harmful chemicals in them.
    - Reading (if anyone is a fan of any book series, let me know. I read every evening & I've already gone through Twilight, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Millenium Series, & Sookie Stackhouse).

Re: good reads:

two books by Kate Morton, an Australian writer, The Forgotten Garden, and The House at Riverton.
    Erin McKean, The Secret Lives of Dresses
    Anything by Dan Brown, though Angels and Demons is still my fav
    Anything by Ken Folliett
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Calling all knitters--we should start a MFP knit along in a project one size smaller than we are right now. By the time we finish it, we will have "grown into" our new size. And seeing our yarn on the needles will really keep us (OK, Me) motivated. But it's summer. Maybe we should wait until fall. I only do small projects when it's hot. I hear others saying the same thing.

I like it! As for people who are interested in knitting, I'll second using videos. A great site (and how I learned to knit) is www.knittinghelp.com.
  • Cindib13
    Cindib13 Posts: 234 Member
    My hobby is ghost hunting! I love it and I'm very passionate about it. I joined a team in January, but I also hunt on the weekends with various friends.

I also sell Mark. on the side. It's like Avon but geared towards a younger crowd. They don't have a quota that you have to sell each month so I like that.

Ghost hunting, that's so cool. I love to watch Ghost Adventures (Zach is a hot mess) and Ghost Hunters. I would be afraid they would come home with me. :indifferent:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    Well not all of these are inexpensive or doable at home but here's my list:

Taekwondo
    Knitting
    Crocheting
    Shooting (Pistols)
    Cake Decorating (profitable hobby)
    Jewelry Making
    I keep chickens
    Bicycling
    Sewing
    And I'm trying really hard to get into gardening but it's not working so far. :blushing:

ETA:
    Fishing
    Camping
    Hiking
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I've found knitting to be really helpful because I can't eat and knit, although I can knit and watch...ya know an entire season of Buffy, but I'm not eating while I do it because my hands are occupied. I've also noticed that if I spend less time in my apartment I eat less (perk of being perpetually broke). Since I rely entirely on public transportation I'll get off at the library, book store, or a park and journal/write, read, knit, whatever. Staying away from the food areas is key for me.
  • bluecutipy
    bluecutipy Posts: 35 Member
    I took up sewing. I think anything that keeps your hands busy or ur mind occupied works.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Drawing/painting, playing video games, reading, writing (fiction), playing with doggie!
  • I've decided.. photography I LOVE!! I'm trying knitting but don't know that it'll stick. Also, I'm considering when I take photos to write poetry inspired by that photo and maybe I can publish a photography/poetry/inspirational book that's totally unique! :)
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    knitting, cake decorating, World of Warcraft, yelping
This discussion has been closed.