PCOS and a journey to wellness. Join me!

Options

Replies

• SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a "Cyster" too. Unfortunately, I can't afford to do anything about it... Basically, I just have to deal with it all on my own. :explode:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Try taking Cinnamon pills. They may help lower or help control the sugar. Doesn't cure it, but can help. Look it up!!

Thank you! I think I'll try it! :)

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a "Cyster" too. Unfortunately, I can't afford to do anything about it... Basically, I just have to deal with it all on my own. :explode:

4581915.png

Noooooo - I don't know your situation....BUT....
    Don't say that. If you can find a clinic/doctor. see if your a candidate for Metformmin is mostly prescribed for it - It is cheap!!!
    Metformin ER 500mg - 90day supply is only 14.00usd at walmart (er=extended release) OR
    Metformin 500mg - 90day supply is even less i think 10.00usd
    keep high protein in your daily intake and count calories for your height and weight (here on MFP)
    Go easy on breads (I scoop out bagels - use 100 calories rounds) totally do-able.

I am feeling a pinch too - but if you can get the RX for a year with refills - drop some weight, in turn start some exercise = You never know what can be.....

Friend me is you like!!!!

Hmmm... May have to look into that. Didn't know things like these medicines that you mentioned even existed! I had just basically resigned myself to eating better & hoping for the best. All the doctors that I have been to just put me on BC pills... even after I tell them that my husband has had a vasectomy! Of course the BC pills (have tried quite a few kinds) kill my sex drive! Arrgh! Thank you for your help!

4581915.png
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    After seeing your post - i went and researched what it was you all were talking about, and well, ive made an appt now with my Doctor to see if this is something that i may have... most of the symptoms are things that i have always struggled with... but.. i have always questioned my Doctor, and he just tells me to exercise and that its just how my family is, and that it is something that RUNS in our family - Being Over Weight!!!
    Im hoping that something gets figured out.. but i am just soo frustrated, that no matter what i do, eat, exercise.. etc... i cannot lose weight... on top of the other issues that PCOS states.

Thanks for sharing all your stories!!

Definitely look into it and find a good OB/GYN reproductive endocrinologist to give you a panel of tests: hormone levels, fasting glucose etc. Also I had a pelvic ultrasound ( kind of uncomfortable because it is vaginal ) but it will help give you answers.
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have it too =( I was diagnosed in 2002.. it does make losing weight harder but we can do this ladies =)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

4581915.png

Don't say that. If you can find a clinic/doctor. see if your a candidate for Metformmin is mostly prescribed for it - It is cheap!!!
    Metformin ER 500mg - 90day supply is only 14.00usd at walmart (er=extended release) OR
    keep high protein in your daily intake and count calories for your height and weight (here on MFP)
    Go easy on breads (I scoop out bagels - use 100 calories rounds) totally do-able.

I am feeling a pinch too - but if you can get the RX for a year with refills - drop some weight, in turn start some exercise = You never know what can be.....

Hmmm... May have to look into that. Didn't know things like these medicines that you mentioned even existed! I had just basically resigned myself to eating better & hoping for the best. All the doctors that I have been to just put me on BC pills... even after I tell them that my husband has had a vasectomy! Of course the BC pills (have tried quite a few kinds) kill my sex drive! Arrgh! Thank you for your help!

Not to mention - If you add Byetta with the Metformin that helps to bring on the period. Just sayin..
  • AmberMcDowell
    Options
    I have it too.Diagnosed a few years ago. I was wondering what is this Byetta everyone keeps mentioning?
  • DrAJ84
    Options
    I have it too.Diagnosed a few years ago. I was wondering what is this Byetta everyone keeps mentioning?

It is an injection usually prescribed to diabetics and some doctors are prescribing it for glycemic control for PCOS. It is GLP-1 receptor agonist and helps to control the excessive insulin response(as occurs in PCOS). I give myself 2 shots per day to supplement my 2000mg of metformin.
  • DrAJ84
    Options
    Oh and Byetta also is known for its side effect of weight loss. It does slow down digestion therefore you have a tendency to eat less and feel fuller longer.
  • clala82
    clala82 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh and Byetta also is known for its side effect of weight loss. It does slow down digestion therefore you have a tendency to eat less and feel fuller longer.

How pricey is Byetta? I never heard of it until this post, either, and I'm interested. I'm on Metformin, which helped some, but then my doctor also added Actos. The addition of Actos to my medication regimen has helped trigger more regular periods...but Actos is so expensive. I have insurance and even with that it's $157 for a 30 day supply! :noway:
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, was diagnosed at 15 and put on birth control. Never really understood the symptoms and side effects until I moved to the US and a doctor sat down with me a few years ago to talk about it and it all kind of fell in to place. I have always struggled with weight and although at times I have been very slim, I've also been very obese. In the last 16 months I have consistently watched my diet and increased my exercise with great results. Having moved back to the UK I have the fitness and diet regime handled, but now my medication is all over the place... I need to get back to taking Metformin, and although I did go to the doctor and request to be put on the pill for the PCOS the one he prescribed me was Cerezette which in doing my research often stops periods entirely with side effects of facial hair growth, PMS and weight gain.... all the things that I'm trying to get under control so I haven't taken them and I'm going back to the doc on Wednesday. I have lost a total of 74lbs so far but am only half way and although I feel good now, at times it feels like it is a never ending tunnel because I do have to exercise twice as hard as everyone else, and try twice as hard as everyone else to get just half the results! Anyway, feel free to add me as a friend - support is a good thing!
  • clala82
    clala82 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

4581915.png

4581915.png

@SixCat: At the recommendation of my doctor, I took cinnamon pills for a while before being put on Metformin and they did help me. I'd take the capsules with two meals a day. They seemed to help with weight loss. (My doctor likes to try natural/holistic supplements before prescription meds.) In addition to the connamon pills, taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar diluted with some water is supposed to help with sugar metabolism, too. I've heard vinegar referred to as "the poor man's diabetes medication" because it helps process sugars and has been known to do so for a long time. Research online about that because I've heard people say to drink it before or after a meal, or right before bed, etc. You just have to find what works best for you. It's not the tastiest, but if an inexpensive bottle of vinegar can be a big help, that's awesome!
  • MrsLyons32
    MrsLyons32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have it also! And totally miserable with it! I just started Metformin this past Tuesday!
  • DrAJ84
    Options
    I have it also! And totally miserable with it! I just started Metformin this past Tuesday!

Well prepare yourself for the bubble guts. It will jack your stomach up when you start it but gradually gets better. My doctor had me gradually increase my dose so it would not be so bad. If you don't eat excessive carbs and sugar the meds are more agreeable.
  • DrAJ84
    Options

How pricey is Byetta? I never heard of it until this post, either, and I'm interested. I'm on Metformin, which helped some, but then my doctor also added Actos. The addition of Actos to my medication regimen has helped trigger more regular periods...but Actos is so expensive. I have insurance and even with that it's $157 for a 30 day supply! :noway:

Can't really give you an answer as it depends on your insurance and whether you take 5mcg or 10mcg. I work in healthcare and am self employed so I have to purchase my own insurance which unfortunately barely covers anything because thanks to being diagnosed with the PCOS no company will underwrite me since I take metformin and they also say it is a pre-existing condition. ( insurance companies are BS because they assume you take metformin for diabetes....they see diabetes as a liability because of expensive medical needs so they either upcharge rates on patients or deny coverage in the first place) That is unfortunately how it works. I spend well over $200/month for medications. I plan on taking byetta for one year with the metformin then switch to metformin alone next year. My doctor just put me on it for right now to help speed up weight loss etc. I don't have to take it forever.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I got married when I was 22 and we started trying to conceive shortly after that. We tried for 2 years, and were unsuccessful. I finally was put on Metformin, and with diet and exercise, I lost 50 pounds. We continued TTC for that time period, and still were unsuccessful. Finally my doctor put me on a low dosage of Clomid, and we got pregnant the FIRST month. With TWINS! I gained a lot of weight during pregnancy and was heavier after I gave birth, than I was before I started losing weight. In April 2010, I decided it was time to get healthy for myself, my kids, and my husband. I have lost 81 pounds so far, and plan to lose another 30 to get to my goal weight. It’s so hard, but totally worth it. The South Beach Diet really helped me start off my weight loss and I have been following it and making it a lifestyle change. For anyone that is discouraged, please know that it is possible, even with this syndrome to have kids and be healthy!
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at age 18. PCOS can be a challenge! Welcome to MFP!! Sent you an add!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I got married when I was 22 and we started trying to conceive shortly after that. We tried for 2 years, and were unsuccessful. I finally was put on Metformin, and with diet and exercise, I lost 50 pounds. We continued TTC for that time period, and still were unsuccessful. Finally my doctor put me on a low dosage of Clomid, and we got pregnant the FIRST month. With TWINS! I gained a lot of weight during pregnancy and was heavier after I gave birth, than I was before I started losing weight. In April 2010, I decided it was time to get healthy for myself, my kids, and my husband. I have lost 81 pounds so far, and plan to lose another 30 to get to my goal weight. It’s so hard, but totally worth it. The South Beach Diet really helped me start off my weight loss and I have been following it and making it a lifestyle change. For anyone that is discouraged, please know that it is possible, even with this syndrome to have kids and be healthy!

Congratulations!! Thats Wonderful!!! Great reasons :smile:
  • jeanie✰
    jeanie✰ Posts: 127
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm just starting this out, too. It really does make losing weight and keeping it off a nightmare. I didn't know I had it and was in denial and refusing to acknowledge I was gaining weight (despite that it was OBVIOUS, and I wouldn't go near a scale). Admitting there was a problem was the hardest part...and now I know what I have to work with...I hope it gets a little better from here!
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    so ready to follow the journey to beating pcos.
  • cruzncrystal
    Options
    I am also a fellow "cyster". It is both sad and encouraging to see that there are so many other people who understand this issue. It's nice to have such a group to know that you are not alone. I have dealt with PCOS for probably the last 15 years (or more). Also, I've dealt with the accompanying insulin-resistance and infertility issues. I had been able to get pregnant a couple of times, but miscarried (it was also found that I slightly have one of the clotting conditions). I'm 40 now and I know that for my health and well-being I have got to start living a better, healthier life by making more appropriate food choices. This is day #2 for me on the site. Feel free to friend me. I need all the support I can get.