Quinoa

Options
So I finally bought some quinoa. It was kind of expensive ($5 a box). I'm looking for some recipes and tips. I don't feel comfortable experimenting with this food. Please help. What's your favorite way(s) to prepare quinoa?

Replies

• NNsMomma
    NNsMomma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Quinoa for years. Use it like rice for the most simple way but here is a great recipe I use often....

Greek Quinoa and Avocado Salad Recipe - Food by Yahoo! Shine!
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/recipes/greek-quinoa-and-avocado-salad-536434/
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    $5 a box?! I get it in bulk for around $3 a pound at my grocery store...do you have a bulk aisle where you shop? That's REALLY steep for quinoa. Anyway, I like to cook it in vegetable stock instead of just water for more flavor, and throw it on top of a salad...super yummy and nutritious!
  • Krazyfit
    Krazyfit Posts: 12
    Options
    I like to cook it using vegetable broth instead of water. then I add to it finely chopped (steamed) vegetables like mushrooms, onion, garlic, celery, carrots. I use it just like that or with a side of meat. There are also recipes for Quinoa patties, very yummy ( I make mine a little different each time) It is versitile.... feel free to experiment!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in soup to replace noodles or rice. I make a salad and use quinoa and veggies in yogurt dressing. I basically use it to replace rice or noodle dishes.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You can substitute quinoa in any rice or couscous recipe you already use. You can also cook it sweetened and eat it the way you would oatmeal.
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Just tried quinoa last night! It thought it was good. It is a little pricey, but a nice change from rice, couscous, and pasta.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful recipe, so easy to make and just delicious!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I use it in stuffed peppers the most, mixed in with diced tomatoes and ground turkey, even my anti-health-food husband likes it.
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    I made this recipes with it over the weekend. www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--3076/quinoa-soup.asp

I added in some extra seasoning, but it was really tasty. It basically replaced the noodles for a chicken noodle soup. It was really filling and one serving was just under 200 calories.
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    I use it as a substitute for rice in just about anything. I even cook it in my rice cooker. I've used it to make spanish style rice, and have been meaning to try stuffing bell peppers with it. Pretty good stuff!

Also, I get a pretty big bag of it at Costco for about $10.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I just found this recipe last night and thought it sounded delicious!

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=249901
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    **Copied this from my Recipe builder.

Chickpea & Quinoa Bajane
    1Cup spinach, 3/4Cup chickp, 2/3Cup qunoa

Swanson - Organic - Vegetarian Vegetable Broth - Low Sodium, 2 cup 30cals
    Ancient Harvest - Quinoa - Traditional - Personal, 1 cup dry 688
    Leeks - (bulb and lower leaf-portion), cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 2 cup, chopped or diced 64cals
    Spice World - Minced Garlic, 4 tsp 20cals
    Carrots - Raw, 2 cup, chopped 105cals
    Goya - Chick Peas (Garbanzos) Low Sodium, 1 container (1 4/5 cup (122g) ea.) 350cals
    Home Prepared - Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 0.5 lemon 6cals
    Vegetable - Baby Spinach, 1 Cups 13cals
    Hannaford - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 TBSP 120cals
    Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 0.5 cup, chopped 19cals

Total: 1415
    Per Serving: 283cals
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great for breakfast! After cooking, stir in cinnamon, dried or fresh fruit and then drizzle with honey or agave nectar! Deeeeelish.
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    bump**

you gals have some great ideas, I've too have been wanting to try it & after reading these posts will be buyging some next grocery trip!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    IMG_5841.jpg

Photo is of them just before going in the oven.

I used to make TexMex meatloaf muffins with quinoa.

Follow your favorite meatloaf recipe and instead of breadcrumbs or whatever replace it with 1 cup cooked quinoa.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can do almost anything with it. The link below is a recipe that I use and everyone loves it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mbcarreno08/view/quinoa-salad-with-cherries-and-pecans-80963
  • katzav
    katzav Posts: 67
    Options
    tons of these sound great! thanx!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've been using Quinoa for a while... easy to cook and love to fry it up in some coconut oil with green onions and sea salts :)
  • OrganicGal
    OrganicGal Posts: 15
    Options
    First of all, love your quotation. :) Quinoa is an awesome whole grain, and when purchased in bulk, it truly is cost effective. The beauty of the grain is that you don't have to consume alot per meal. You can use it in dishes as well as a side dish...or a main one. Depends on what you add to it. I would go online and google "recipes using quinoa" and watch how many hits you find. I love experimenting with new grains and trying to find what works for me and my family. I know you'll love it and do well with whatever you choose to use it for. (Just don't use the box for a door stop out of frustration on how to cook it.) LOL
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    bump**

you gals have some great ideas, I've too have been wanting to try it & after reading these posts will be buyging some next grocery trip!

Ditto!