• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    We're all gonna die of something.

Be happy. Drink your soda. :drinker:
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't drink pop but maybe a few times a year. I personally would much rather have the real thing as opposed to a diet pop. Tastes a lot better and I don't feel funny after drinking it like I do with anything diet.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    FYI - I LOVE my Wild Diet Cherry Pepsi, but do make sure that I drink my 8 glasses of water before I ever indulge.

Oh, so do I....WDC is my absolute favorite! I might drink it a couple times a week but that's about it. So, like everything else, moderation is the key. I wouldn't worry that much about it.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe that includes Diet Coke.

I call it the Self Denial Coke Float

• 2 scoops Blue Bell Vanilla Ice-Cream
    • 8 OZ Diet Coke
    • Top with Reddi-Wip
    • Drizzle with Hershey Syrup
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    In the words of the mighty Adam Ant, dont drink, dont smoke, what do you do?- Have a diet soda if you damn well want one, you are on a diet, and denial is the name of the game, so if you want a little treat, what is the harm?? Burp! :glasses:

Ahhhh...Adam Ant. There was a time in my life that I wanted to be Mrs. Adam Ant! Little treats are always good!
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I am a big fan of diet soda, especially when dieting. I haven't had much of it recently because of the artificial sweeteners. My new favorite is soda sweetened with stevia - natural and 0 calories! I get it at whole foods and there are a lot of flavor options that I really like. Not sure on the whole artificial sweetener thing, good or bad, but I figure better safe than sorry! And I actually prefer the taste of the stevia soda. I also have Celiac's and many naturally sweetened sodas are gluten free, whereas I can have trouble with artificially sweetened ones.

Best of luck!
  • UTDodger
    UTDodger Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree with that assesment
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Wow…I can’t even pronounce these words much less understand what they are…Do you really want to put this into your body??

They aren't that crazy...many medications that many people on here take regularly have even crazier words. Just because somethng is made in a laboratory doesn't make it bad for you...just like just because something grows in the wild doesn't make it good for you. A recent NYTimes article about how fructose (ie, fruit sugar) may be worse for your body than sucrose is an example.

I'm not saying you should only eat processed foods/chemicals. Obviously not, for many documented reasons (tend to be more calorie dense and less nutrient dense, tend to have more sodium, etc). But it's a bit reductive to say every "chemical" is bad for you.

I agree with the one or occasionally two won't hurt you crowd.
  • rissa95
    rissa95 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just want to say that it really doesn't matter if you can pronounce words or not, I'm sure most people can't just pronounce "dihydrogen oxide" but that's water. People hav a wrong view about what to put in them. Like, everyone can pronounce "fat" doesn't mean it should go in your body! Simple words don't make better food
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just watched a video from another post that basically said this - You have to balance your diet between acidic and alkaline based foods. fruits and veggies are alkaline. pretty much every thing else is acidic, including sodas and diet sodas. When you don't have a good balance, you body will drain other important mineral, like iron, from your food in order to achieve that balance. Iron is important to your thyroid as it helps maintain your metabolism, ensuring that it is running properly and not slowing down.

So - diet soda, coffee, alcohol, meats, etc are all acidic and Americans eat/drink too much of it, depleting minerals required by your thyroid to regulate your metabolism. our metabolisms get all out of whack making it harder for us to lose weight.

My take on this? Take a multi vitamin and eat more fruits and veggies, which is what I'm doing anyways. I am not going to become a vegetarian, give up my coffee, or my diet soda though ;) Lord knows that there are times when I need a drink around my family :)
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on the proven health effects of Diet Soda, but I can tell you from my own personal experience that one per day doesn't cause me to binge (if that were the case, there would be other major underlying issues that needed to be addressed), it doesn't make me feel like if I cut calories there, then I can eat them somewhere else (which isn't an altogether bad approach as long as you stay within your calorie allowance and eat healthy foods for the most part), I don't drink 15 a day.......I think that diet soda, as with anything else, in moderation is an acceptable alternative to high calorie drinks, but way more than that, I think that if we make lifestyle changes that we can actually live with long term and don't spend 95% of our day obsessing over everything we "CANNOT" have, then we will overall be MUCH more likely to succeed in the long run. There is also a good chance, like with me, that as time passes, you will have fewer cravings for the not so healthy foods and move more toward healthy options.

I personally have 1 caffeine free diet coke per day and then regular diet coke on the weekends sometimes, but I in no way see this as sabatoging my weight loss. I like it, I drink it, I don't replace it with a candy bar b/c I saved the calories.....it's all about choices and I am don't want to view this journey as a restricted lfie sentence, but instead a journey to freedom.