A 11 year old called me fat.

Options
13»

Replies

• Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    Okay first, our society bombards our kids with unrealistic perceptions. My skinny 12 year old daughter makes comments about being fat on occasion. She does not get this at our house but gets it from school. It's a constant battle going against this tide. Second, I remember when I was in school being called fat in the 9th grade. I now look at those photos and think WTH??? I would give my eye teeth to look like I did then. So, ignore the ignorance of youth. They haven't a clue. They are too busy trying to fit in themselves and have distorted views of what defines normal. Take the numerous positive comments you've been receiving and ride on those. By the sound of it, you deserve it. Here's to your success so far. :drinker:
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You gave an 11 year old authority over you ???? I have taught kids from pre_shool to highschool and they will say something rude to get what they want..... Glad I don't teach anymore :-)... why are you dependant on an 11 year old for your self worth, your an adult. Your beautiful, your vibrant and confident! Walk it! Walk as thou you have a million in the bank!
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Quit beating yourself up. What does a 11 year old know? You are on a wonderful adventure to your transformation. Keep up the good work and don't listen to other people when you are suceeding. Be gratiful for what you can do today!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Wow at 11 the kid should know better. That's not ok. I'm sorry. You look great by the way.
  • memieof3
    memieof3 Posts: 33
    Options
    I worked a nurse in mental health with children primarly young and adolcsent. I had the same patients for years. I gained about 45-50 pounds over a 2 month period ( divorce) well I saw the kids every 2-4 weeks. I had 5 of my patients 7-12 year olds If I was pregnant and I said nope but thanks for asking. I said that I had gained alot of weight. They said "oh ok" I have found if you are faced with a rude child you should answer with an honest answer. Don't let a child make you cry or ever an adult for that matter. You know that you are working towards a healty weight and that is between you and whoever you want to know.:flowerforyou:
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I know how you're feeling. I was helping with my daughters pre-school class and one of the little girls told me I had a big belly. I was crushed. Even though she was only 5, it still hurt. Sometimes my daughter will say things about the way a person looks (not to their face of course), but I correct her immediately. I told her that everyone is different and that we accept everyone. She has stopped.

It doesn't matter who it comes from, whether they know what they are doing or not, its a blow to one area in which you are most insecure about. If the child ever says it again, correct him/her. That's probably what I would do.

Sorry :cry:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to belittle anyone, but can't you see that to a pre-adolescent, we are all fat? Children (unless they are obese) really don't have any spare fat on them. They shouldn't anyway. Adults ARE fat compared to children. It's nothing personal. It's just the way of things. We always see ourselves as average, so anyone bigger will look fat.
  • quixotic84
    quixotic84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The word "fat" does not need to be so powerful, yet our society has given it SO MUCH power! There is nothing wrong with being fat! It's not a problem unless you are lethargic, get diabetes, can't go upstairs without wheezing... there are "fat" people who run marathons and work out every day! Fat is not the problem - HEALTH is (that and being able to find clothes that fit and look good!)! Just worry about your health and how YOU view yourself! YOU are all that matters! Chin up! I hope you feel better!!!