Thoughts on cheese?

13»

Replies

• Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    I love cheese too and eat it almost everyday, it is fine in moderation. I just make sure I only have 1 serving (one slice or 2oz) at a time which is usually about 70cal. It has lots of good stuff for you, but like most things can be really bad if you overdue it!
  • SusiB60
    SusiB60 Posts: 104 Member
    Yup ..but I still love it :D
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Also the thought of eating all those Cheese mites really puts me off ever trying cheese again tbh....

OMG! I did not know there was such a thing as cheese mites. I GOOGLED it after seeing your reply! AAAAAGGGGHHHHH! Nooooooo! That is soooooo grooooooooossssss! I think you just killed cheese for me. :sick:

*fingers in ears* LALALALALALALA

lol
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Mmm cheese mites. I'll still love cheese.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    I cut it pretty often
  • I love cheese! I have to put cheese on everything and I surely don't eat it in moderation (something I need to work on).
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    Mmm cheese mites. I'll still love cheese.

Bingo. "Cheese mites" aren't a common thing, and they're just as likely to be found in grains and flours. Sad fact is, not only do we eat little bugs all the time, but we're covered with the danged things. Sure, if my cheese is covered with a thick "dust" of mites and their dander/excrement, I'd likely pass. But otherwise? My fresh broccoli likely has as many bugs on it. That's life.

Kris
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Cheese, for me, like eggs, is the most perfect food and I will never EVER be without it. I use less now. I use swiss when I can though. I can't stand American cheese, so no love lost there. I wipe it off anything I eat that it comes on. I eat it in tiny bites so the feeling lasts longer! Like a tiny mouse...I love my cheese.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    I almost cut out cheese entirely and I LOVE IT

The only cheese splurge i have now is the Polly O 2% cheese sticks, laughing cow mini baby bel (light) or goat cheese. Goat cheese is lower in cals and fat and I recently found a reduced fat one. I have to say does not taste as good aka creamy but at 45 cals an oz, it's a great addition to salads, etc.

I also make a zucchini lasagna, where I use moderate amounts of part skim mozz and low fat ricotta
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    I snack on light string cheese and laughing cow light wedges are awesome! They come in different flavors..yum! If I make a sandwich I use lower sodium or reduced fat.
    mmmmm laughing cow!!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Also the thought of eating all those Cheese mites really puts me off ever trying cheese again tbh....

Uhm Gross. I just looked at pictures... Who the hell would want to friggin Age thier cheese with BUGS! gross.. no thank you. I will take the un mite filled cheese! =)
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Did someone say cheese love it, feta, sharp mozzerela, cream, good protien source in moderation :-)
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    B/c I need to eat lots of protein, and don't have a dairy intolerance, and I need the fat and calories, I eat lots of cheese. I LOVE cheese. That said, I don't eat "frankencheese" - cheese "products".

I eat REAL cheese - cottage cheese, ricotta, string cheese, some manchego, feta, brie.... But never American, Velveta, etc - that processed stuff has so much stuff in it that's bad for you, it really negates the health benefits to eating cheese!
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    I love cheese so much that I realized when filling out my diary last week that I eat cheese at every meal. I can't imagine that can be good for my cholesterol, even with the lowered fat versions. So this week I set a personal goal to have cheese only 3 out of 7 days. Today - so far so good, no cheese. Tomorrow, who knows, I may have a "hanker for a hunka cheese".
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Was never a massive fan of cheese anyway but I pretty much cut it out. Calorie intake vs satiety just wasn't worth it for me. Cottage Cheese on the other hand, I eat tubs of that stuff every week!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    YAY FOR CHEESE!!!!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    I eat cheese on my sandwhich always and love cheese sticks.. Nothing wrong with it as long as you aren't eating huge quantities of it every day. Everything in moderation..
  • SueHerm
    SueHerm Posts: 25 Member
    Yes, I do. It is high in fat and calories, even the "low fat" vareities. But that is not the worst of it. Cheese is concentrated dairy, which is implicated in osteoporosis (yes, that's right, the countries with the highest dairy consumption also have the highest rates of of it), heart disease, type 1 diabetes, and certain cancers. The cancer link is especially disturbing because they are linked to the proteins, which are higher in low fat cheeses.
This discussion has been closed.