Running while obese

Options
Hi, I've been thinking about what exercise I could try to do to help lose some weight, and running appeals to me. It is free, and I can do it any time I want. However, I'm concerned because I am obese right now and I don't want to hurt myself. I've tried to take up running in the past, and wound up in physical therapy with an IT Band injury. Unfortunately, walking does not feel like much of a workout to me, so I was hoping to be able to try running again soon. Do you think I should wait until I've lost some weight to start running, or is it safe to start at any weight?

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you can run with the weight but it is going to take some conditioning on your part. Start out really slow... and by really slow I mean add in a 30 second run to your walks and gradually increase it as the days go on to get your body used to the abuse of running.
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is going to be different from person to person. For me personally, I found it was necessary to shift a few pounds before starting running - when I tried sooner, I suffered shin splints. For you (and for others I know) it might be different.

I want to say it can't hurt to try, but that might be tempting fate!!!
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can walk with weights or walk up or down hills. You will feel that burn... Also try swimming and bike riding( I know these usually cost money, but still cheap)
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't if it meant injury. I would try to walk faster. I walk fast enough that it totally feels like a workout. Maybe make sure you are using your arms while you walk. Best of luck!
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    check out www.coolrunning.com. They have a program called couch to 5k or c25k!!! Good luck!!!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been thinking about what exercise I could try to do to help lose some weight, and running appeals to me. It is free, and I can do it any time I want. However, I'm concerned because I am obese right now and I don't want to hurt myself. I've tried to take up running in the past, and wound up in physical therapy with an IT Band injury. Unfortunately, walking does feel like much of a workout to me, so I was hoping to be able to try running again soon. Do you think I should wait until I've lost some weight to start running, or is it safe to start at any weight?

I would say it's really an individual thing but I started walking/running intervals when I was at my heaviest of 236 lbs (at 5'5") and, at first, I was sure I'd die, but I really got into it and it helped me lost a lot of weight. I ended up in nursing school and got out of the habit and am starting now again...I'm down to 190 now but started again at 203 and, while it's difficult, it does yield good results. Have you heard of or looked into C25K (Couch to 5K)? Great way to get started and not tax your body too much. Do a search on here or google for it for more information! Good luck!
  • klwalton88
    klwalton88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would suggest stretching before your run. You might also want to try C25K. It starts you out really slow and is geared toward people who don't run.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with slowly incorporating running spates in your walking routine. From mostly walking with short bursts of jogging or running to slowly increased running distances/times as your fitness levels improve.

You can do it--good luck!

Kris
  • cuckoo879
    cuckoo879 Posts: 11
    Options
    i would also suggest start off slowly.

You can try a really fast pace power walk, keep your walking pace up, more than 3.5mph. Count your hearrate, it should stay up 90%. When you feel like it, you can add in a little jog, don't over do it, otherwise you would hurt yourself again.
  • leeanndelcourt
    leeanndelcourt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey There,
    It is important to your health, joints, muscles, heart, and body to lose some weight before you start running. I understand that walking doesn't feel like a huge workout, but it is working out your entire body. Each week add 10 more minutes. You could and should add resistance training to your walking routine. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. Strength training is an excellent way to build muscle, get stronger, and lose weight.......always check in with your Dr. and he/she will give help you decide when running becomes beneficial to you.......how much weight do you have to lose?
    Keep up the good work! Great job for taking control of your body!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Walk first, then add a few short running stints in you walk, gradually increase (like most others have said). You do not want to injure yourself.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I struggle to run on the road, it knackers my ankle up, but try it on a treadmill, its a little less impact on your joints because of the "give" in the treadmill.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k is a great program. I am still obese and the program has really helped the weight come off, and it starts out with 30 second jogs. Try that! Dont let the previous injury dissuade you but be careful and stretch. Try jogging at your walking pace. Good luck!
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    Hi! i'm obese as well..and when someone mentioned running/jogging..I didn't think I could! But i started the couch 2 5K program..and it is awesome!! It's really great..I love the feeling when I finish a day!! Also..I take it slooooww..I don't run, I jog :). It is an awesome program and you can do it on the treadmill (which I find easier!)

You can do it!! If you need a motivating person to cheer you on, feel free to add me :) Right now, i'm on week 3 day2...and yes..i jogged three minutes strait! (whoa..i mean..whoa!):)

Good Luck!!
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Tried doing C25K after walking 60 mins 7 days a week for a month and after I lost 20 lbs...first I though I was going to die and that was followed by a foot injury. I took time to heal (but kept walking 60 mins 7 days a week) and lost another 20 lbs. I just got done doing C25K week 1 day 1 (30 mins) ago and let me tell you...it was so much easier!!! On my lungs, heart, knees, and feet...lol! Good luck!
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    C25K is a good program for beginners, it starts you off with a few minutes of walking then 30 or 60 seconds of running then as you get further into the program your running times increase. Just remember your jogging not sprinting, jog at a comfortable pace and wear proper running shoes and you shouldn't get any injuries. Running into shape.com has some good C25k training downloads
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm obese and I run. I think what you have to do is listen to your body. Pay attention to make sure aches don't turn into pain or injury.

I did the C25K program and it took me about 3-4 months instead of 9 weeks. But now I run 5K's and I'm working on doing more.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to be a runner so when I started working with a trainer I had him build me a plan that would get me from walking to jogging up to 3 miles in about 3 or 4 months. Basically, I started at a fast walk for 4 mins then jogged for 40 sec, doing this interval for 30 or so minutes for a week. Then next week I cut down the walk to 3:45 mins with the 40 sec jogging....I'll keep doing that until I'm just jogging the full 30 or so minutes. I LOVE IT!! My ankle and shins have always given me pain during my previous attempts but with this plan I very seldom have any pain....plus it gives me a goal to work towards and makes me excited to come in and do my cardio :bigsmile: oh, and I also started this plan at around 280lbs so hope that helps!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i avoid running at all costs, because i have dodgy knees. i will do a small jog on the treadmill, but i'm very careful with it, because i don't want to injure myself.

my knees are too important and running just destroys them. so far, i've been exercising hard for 5 months and no knee pain, so i'll keep avoiding the running pretty much.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm obese...and in the last four weeks I have run a half marathon, a 5K and the Warrior Dash. I won't break any land-speed records but I'm happily putting in the miles injury free.

If you have had injury troubles in the past there are two things I would suggest that you do:

1. It is critical that you make sure you're in good shoes...especially with the potential of an IT band issue. A running store can fit you in the best type of shoe for your body and gait. I know that buying new shoes kind of negates the free aspect of running but spending $100 on shoes that will prevent multiple doctor visits and PT is going to be much cheaper in the long run. (A good running store can also work with your budget if they know about it up front.)

2. START SLOW! Let's be real, you're not going to qualify for the next Olympic Marathon, so why put a hurting on yourself? Start by walking four and a half minutes and running for 30 seconds...in time you can build that to one minute with a four minute walk, then a 90 second run and a three and a half minute walk...you get the idea. (I suggest running at a slow pace for your running intervals as well, especially in the beginning.)

Happy Trails!