Running while obese

Options
2»

Replies

• duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am about 80 pounds overweight, so not an insignificant amount!
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am about 80 pounds overweight, so not an insignificant amount!

When I started on MFP 115 days ago, I was 100 lbs over weight. My current goal is 86 pounds and this will put me just at a healthy BMI. I'll worry about the other 14 lbs when I can at least say I'm healthy. :smile:
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am in the obese catagory as well and within the last 3 months started to run. You TRULY have to pay attention to your body to see if its right for you. It can be terribly hard on your knees and back.
    I started power walking and within a week wanted more, so I started to run in small doses. I just gradually kept increasing my running distance and time. Your body will tell you what to do. I totally agree with an earlier post about 'not having to qualify' for the Olympics, so take your time:)

Good Luck!
  • mzlizza
    mzlizza Posts: 1
    Options
    hi, i started c25k at 300 pounds, 4 months after breaking my ankle. Pretty much the second my doctor gave me an all clear to resume activities. I stayed on week 1 for about a month, it took me a while to get organized, and figure out the best place for me to run. I avoided concrete, and hills. I just started week 3 today, and can hardly friggin believe i completed running 3 min straight twice! So it can be done, i have lost about 25lbs, 2 dress sizes, and many inches already, just take it slow
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was medically classified as obese. It took time but as your body gets lighter, it does get easier. As with all exercise, pay attention to what your body is telling you.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It was way too difficult for me to try running at 258 lbs. My knees were killing me! I decided to take some weight off first by using the elliptical, once I got about 60 lbs off then I started to run again, it feels so much better now! I'm 193 and got to 2.66 miles in 35 minutes, hope to improve on that over the summer :D Good Luck!
  • jamhamm
    jamhamm Posts: 7
    Options
    If you start having pain in your knees, ankles or feet - stop! I gave myself plantar fascitis a few years ago from overdoing it while obese, and it took months to recover.

Now I'm starting to run again, but taking it really slow. It's amazing how hard running is on your joints - especially when you're obese. Just be careful and listen to your body!
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    My BMI is still considered obese, and I was about 30 pounds heavier than I am now when I did C25K and have since run two marathons and am just about to start training for my first full. Take it slow, but you can absolutely do it.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you start having pain in your knees, ankles or feet - stop! I gave myself plantar fascitis a few years ago from overdoing it while obese, and it took months to recover.

Now I'm starting to run again, but taking it really slow. It's amazing how hard running is on your joints - especially when you're obese. Just be careful and listen to your body!

I have plantar fascitis too - and it is another fear of mine that it will flare up. It is hard for me to take things slowly, but it sounds like that is the only way to make sure I'm not going to hurt myself again. Waiting till I'm skinny to run just doesn't seem right :).
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    When I initially started running, I was 280 lbs and could barely make it a half mile without stopping to walk. By the time I was 260 lbs (lost 2 lbs a week), I could run a mile in 7 minutes. I did this by trying to maintain my speed for as long as I could and attempted to add 1 lap to a 14 lap mile track at least once a week.

As I'm sure others have mentioned on here, start the c25k program. It starts out very simple and even tells you to repeat a week if need be.
  • michelleengland13
    michelleengland13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I started I was just under 300 lbs, it started with getting on the treadmill for power walking, then I would speed up to jog as long as I could (just a minute to start) then would bring my speed back to a fast walk. After a few weeks of doing intervals like that you can go faster and longer.

I also find working out with swimming, water aerobics and laps has worked for me recently. I've lost 30 lbs since January. It is easy on the joints but my leg muscles have completely reshaped and I feel stronger, without too must extra stress on my body.
  • michelleengland13
    michelleengland13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Valtishia -Your photos are amazing! You are doing GREAT on your journey! I would appreciate any words of wisdom on how you accomplished your loss.
  • Heatherp71
    Heatherp71 Posts: 17
    Options
    I would start with brisk walking and add a little bit of running at a time. I was at my heaviest when I started training for a 1/2 marathon. Within 3 months of starting my training I ran a 5K and within 6 months I had completed my first 1/2 marathon(I ran the whole thing)! You can do this...small steps at a time. Good luck!