How do you keep turkey burgers from getting dry?

Options
13»

Replies

• twinsX3
    twinsX3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I was inspired to make some tonight. They were extremely moist. Easy and lo cal. I used 93/7 ground turkey, shredded onion and carrots (the smallest on the grater), lite salt and pepper. My husband grilled them. Unbelievable. My husband is not one for "diet food" but he loved this one.
  • talksthetalk
    Options
    Just tried making lowfat turkey burgers for the first time. I added mashed avocado, chopped onion, bbq sauce, Mrs. Dash and egg white to 99% fat free ground turkey breast before cooking. Seemed to work, but next time I'll use less avocado in the meat, and put some sliced avocado on top. You can't really taste it when it's cooked in the meat. Also I'd use more seasoning - it was tasty, but bland.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I always make my own burgers. With turkey, I use a whole egg per pound of mince, a small finely chopped onion and a dash of lemon juice (plus fresh thyme for flavour). I've never had them come out dry.

Mind you, there's some other fantastic ideas here - will have to try the avocado and barbeque sauce one!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be to add some flour to the turkey and cook it in a pan with some wine and spices. Or as someone else mentioned egg white mixed in would help.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't know about burgers, but I make very moist turkey breast meat loaf. I add a can of asparagus (chopped or blended and cook the moisture out). I also add a sautéed onion, egg, and rubbed sage. Sounds crazy, but it is really good. Cover it and cook at 350 til done. We eat it like a burger, or have a big slice over spagetti squash with marinara.