Options
    thanx!!!
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    so bumping this :-)
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options
    subscribe to my page, i will have recipes and exersices for everyone daily.
  • Allivall
    Allivall Posts: 37
    Options
    Bump! Thanks! Totally agree...all of the external stuff is not "needed" to get in shape.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    bump
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ITA!!! And burpees (very similar to your "star screamers") are the *kitten* too! :devil:
  • mariumosman
    Options
    bump
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    AMEN! I was just teaching this to my daughter last week :)

After reading an article in a fitness magazine, I also manage to get in 3 sets of 15 push ups against my bathroom counter while getting ready in the morning! One between washing my face and putting in my contacts. One between putting in my contacts and brushing my teeth and one between brushing my teeth and putting on make up. Takes no more than 3 minutes total for those 45 push up and gets the blood pumping early!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thank you for protecting us and thank you for your tips going back old school! luv it!
    Double agree! I think I'll try some of those "old school" ways of working out!

Triple agree! That goes for you too Soldierdad.

Now that the child is home I'll be missing the gym, so this advice came at the perfect time, thanks!:happy:

BTW, love your profile name jeepnmom4
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Bump and thanks for your service to our Country!
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service & the great advice! Going to have to try those star screamers lol
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I hear excuses daily on why someone cant get in shape. Well take it from me, I was in the marines, and never lifted a weight while training. Your best weapon against fat burning and muscle building is your own body. Free weights and machines do help, but whats the good of trying to lift weights when you can barely lift your self? Here is a old marine trick that will benifit you very well.

Run/walk at least 30 minutes daily and at least 3x a week.
    Crunches are the best tummy tuck in the world. No need for the ab lounger or tv marketable equiptment. It does it for you.
    Push ups come in many ways. (wide, narrow, wall, declined, diamond, jumping pushups, one hand)
    Pull ups (when a sturdy bar is available)
    calf raises for 5 minutes without stopping
    wall squats (you know, put your back against a wall, hands out in front of you and squat and sit)
    Jumping jacks!! (whoa, did I really just say Jumping jacks? yes jumping jacks. This is probably the best cardio beside jump rope that you can do. How bout start at 10 jumping jacks at three count and work your way up to 100 3 count in a month. Your legs and body will feel the burn!)
    Leg lifts ( Lay on that back and lift thoes legs 6 inches)
    star screamers (I bet you are like "What in the world is that?" well run in place, drop to the deck and do a push up, come up very quick to your feet and jump as high as you can, spreading your feet and hands to symbolize a star.)

This is very helpfull for those of you that cant find the time to go to the gym. You dont need anything but a ground to stand on. When I went into the corps I was 198 lbs. I maintained a weight of 165. I ran about 3x a week, but I did do these plyometrics. This works. Make you up a workout including these workouts and try it for a couple weeks. Watch your body turn out to look like the few and the proud.

This is awesome =D.

Star Screamers sound like a modified burpee...lol...very cool!

This was my bodyweight routine for two months...I lost 20lbs in the first month. The weight comes off FAST when your body realizes it's just making itself work harder lol...our bodies are inherently lazy!

Another Bodyweight Culture article, this one courtesy Cheesedog at:

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?11058-Bodyweight-Strength-Training

Bodyweight Strength Training

People are always asking about strength training using only bodyweight. This is nothing new or revolutionary. I am borrowing HEAVILY from Rippatoe, Bill Starr, and lots of other great authors and trainers. This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set).

You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

Trust me...this is EFFECTIVE!!

7434194_19.jpg7434194_7213.jpg

Before and after...roughly 30 days.
  • Needthisforme
    Options
    BUMP thank you so much
  • armywife121110
    Options
    completly agree!! I was in the Army way back when and did this all the time!
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    BUMMPPP!!!! Gunna write myself a wee routine using your recommendations tomorrow, stick it on my door and do it every morning! :)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thanks=)
  • Jenwex
    Jenwex Posts: 11
    Options
    bump. Thanks for the tips I can see this working.:smile:
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump