thankyou
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Reading this post could not have come at a better time for me! Thank you so much! :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • bcatgray
    bcatgray Posts: 41
    Options
    100% agree with the OP and thank you for your service.

I am currently reading a book called Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade. It is totally changing the way I view exercising. It was recommended to me by a leader on my team, when I was looking for a body weight program for my boys (ages 9 and 11). Since I started reading I am getting excited to put the plan into work.

Edit: Forgot to include the link to the book.... http://www.dragondoor.com/b41/?apid=stooooo

I've been using the Virtuagym app on my phone. It has several of the exercises described by the OP. I had not thought about doing this with my boys (8 & 7). This will be great at helping them and me to be stronger. Thanks so much for sharing this.

I sent a friend request. I'm very interested in seeing the recipes that you'll share.
  • Kristin9902
    Kristin9902 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    First of all...THANK YOU for your service to this country!!! And Im definatly going to try the jumping jacks lol...I'll let ya know how that works!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    These are perfect!

I recently bought a book by Mark Lauren ... You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises for Men and Women ... that describes the exercises you've listed and more.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Always happy to find more equipment-free exercise tips!
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always giggle to myself as I walk past all the people on the machines and the elipticals at the gym. I'm very happy that they are there and doing something good for their bodys, but if they want to see killer results they should come do the plyo with me and all the push ups and sit ups in the big open aerobics room. I love being in there...it's so much cooler and there is always so much room! Anyways, thanks for all the great tips and for your service and your continued service in your new career!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I always giggle to myself as I walk past all the people on the machines and the elipticals at the gym. I'm very happy that they are there and doing something good for their bodys, but if they want to see killer results they should come do the plyo with me and all the push ups and sit ups in the big open aerobics room. I love being in there...it's so much cooler and there is always so much room! Anyways, thanks for all the great tips and for your service and your continued service in your new career!

Best is when you do plyometrics in a cardio/interval format =D. Interval style pushups, situps, squats....are incredibly, INCREDIBLY intense. In four minutes I can get a situp workout that makes me want to die lol...and it's only doing situps (HAS to be MAX EFFORT!) for 20 seconds straight, with 10 seconds rest in between...for eight rounds. Same for planks (side or forward), and just about any other bodyweight exercise you can dream up.

Fun stuff =D.
  • Nekkoli
    Nekkoli Posts: 9
    Options
    That's the truth like no other, I have a gym membership and have found that I like using my own body weight instead of going to the gym. Running with my dog, push ups on the stairs in my house, lunges on the stairs, those things really work once you stick with it.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Thanks Derrickmcgill90 for making this thread. I hate when an ex military person be in a workout informercial and claims that when they were in the military they didn't "this type of body". They are making it seems as if the military doesn't work the body.

Body weight exercises will always work the body. A lot of people that are in good shape, have gotten that weight by using their on body and no machines.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Abso-freaking-lutely!! I have a routine I do when I don't have much time that is extremely effective. I just do rotations of 25 jumping jacks, 5 pushups, 25 bicycle crunches and 5 burpees until I run out of time. Great workout and no equipment needed!
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    Really good advice here, it always annoys me when I see ads on TV trying to sell ridiculous extra gear for getting in shape. Or people you know that try to tell you that you can't REALLY get fit unless you have this this or this equipment. Just trying to work on lifting my own body! ;)
  • maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump!
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    Bump... Thank you to all of the MFP members that have served and are serving our countries.

I say "countries" because I am Canadian, and my boyfriend is American, and we are both very proud of our nations! :drinker: Here's to all of you! :flowerforyou:
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Am I the only USMC vet who's lower lid on one eye is twitching spasticly like the squirrel from Ice Age at the OP's term "EX Marine"?

Really, nobody is calling him on this???
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Great workout. Thank you.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Am I the only USMC vet who's lower lid on one eye is switching spasticly like the squirrel from Ice Age at the OP's term "EX Marine"?

Really, nobody is calling him on this???

Once a Marine, always a Marine! ;) I agree w/ you girl.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service to our country. I will try this.
  • valz2000
    valz2000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and your service... My dad was in the Marine Corps and totally agrees with you!!!