Quark?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    i mix quark with white chocolate options (40cals ish) and its just like a chocolate cheesecake-beautiful :) x

Someone told me about that a few years ago, so I tried it.....and I have to say, I found it completely repugnant! :laugh:
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I get a low fat digestive biscuit and put it in the bottom of a ramekin pot and then I mix sweetner into the quark with vanilla essence and top the biscuit with it and add some berries on the top and hey presto! A low fat, low cal cheesecake!

I have also used it instead of cream when cooking sauces and it makes a lovely cream cheese frosting for carrot cake too!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    OMG! What can't you do with it! I'm Polish/German and grew up with quark.
    1. Slice it up and eat in on bread.
    2. Make pierogies (the original kind) with potatoes and quark,
    3. Make a salad: shred quark with a fork, add chopped radishes and spring onions, a little sour cream, salt and pepper and have it on bread. Love this!!!
    4. You can also make special Polish or German cheesecake with it.
    5. have it with crepes - mash with a fork, add some sugar/sweetner, berries - optional, a bit of yogurt or sour cream and use it as topping for crepes/large pancakes - that's probably my favorite!!!

I could go on and on. There is a Polish website I use with recipes and they have 902 recipes that use quark. Add German recipes to it and you'll never be able to cook everything :)

I frankly have the hardest time to find it in the States. I have to travel over an hour to a town with a Polish neighborhood to get it - sucks! But you can freeze it and use it when you need it!

Thanks for the tip about freezing it! I've bought it a couple of times recently and forgot it was in the fridge and it has gone past it's best before date!
    Another thing I love about it is that it's so cheap! Only 70p for a 250g pack :smile:
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't know it could be frozen, either. I don't know how many tubs I've had that have hidden in the fridge until reappearing two days after the use by date lol
    Also, I find that most of them (in the UK) are fairly firm in textre, but the one you can get in Morrison's is gorgeous and creamy :)
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    I was curious to find out about quark and found this article on how to make it yourself:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2291303_make-quark-cheese.html
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    bump
  • woodsie1979
    woodsie1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use it when I mash veg instead of butter or marg, if you add some wholegrain mustard to mash it gives it a lovely flavour.

You can also use it to make stuffed chicken thighs or breasts instead of full fat cheese, using a small amount of strong flavoured cheese instead, for dishes like Kievs.

Also you can use it to make low fat cheesecakes, you do need to add geletine to the mix to get it to set but I made a lovely baileys cheesecake for Christmas, which was tasty and a lot lower in fat than using full fat cream cheese.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Even though this is in the recipes area, I was still expecting a Star Trek question. I should just go ahead and kill myself...

Me too. Don't feel bad. I have never even heard of Quark cheese.
    Never heard of Quark cheese but don't get the Star Trek reference either. Just looked interesting.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup, 30 calories, no fat.......sounds fabulous to me!