Do you ever have to make yourself eat?

Options
2stepz
2stepz Posts: 814 Member
I have a recurring problem... every time I start focusing on nutrition and health in general, I start watching my portion sizes and increasing my water intake... and I start losing my appetite. Its 9 pm here, and I have 800+ more calories to eat for today. Nothing sounds good, but I know I need to eat. *sigh*

Suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Mandalicious
    Mandalicious Posts: 126
    Options
    Only wish I had that problem. :) I have to use all my will power to not overeat and go over my calories, especially in the evening!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Every day.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I add more calories in during the day. I can usually tell about how much of a burn I am going to have with daily exercise from always doing it and what my mood is, so I add a few more calories in for that through the day. Then I exercise, add my exercise calories and then adjust what I eat the rest of the day...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, yes. Planning ahead helps, a lot. You shouldn't be sitting there trying to figure out what sounds good right now. It should have already been planned. The other benefit to planning ahead is, if you see there are a whole bunch of calories left over at the end of the day, you could redistribute them throughout the day so you don't have to eat them all at once. Adding a hundred calories here and there and/or increased portion sizes of breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and those 800+ cals would be taken care of easily.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Sometimes I force myself to eat... Drinking a lot of water is great but does put your appetite on the back burner. I don't worry about eating my exercise calories back too much. As long as I eat at least the 1200 then I don't force myself.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Suggestion from me? I'm not sure. Most of the time I know I need the calories so I just grab anything that is around 300 and eat it. Likely junk food since I work in a convenience store, and at home it is the hardest. I have been buying great foods which make it hard to reach calorie goal because they are low cal and you have to eat more of them! :(

It is a struggle for me, to not eat ice cream and chocolate to fill my calories. But I am trying my best and seeing results. Not as fast as I'd like, but 20 lbs in 6 months isn't too bad I suppose.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I never have this problem. I pre-log my workouts before I go to the class and spread my calories around all during the day. I eat every few hours (lots of healthy snacks).
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time, mainly because everything I eat I try to get the most out of it (protein, fiber, etc). And foods rich in protein and fiber are very filling, so I always am full and it's hard to eat enough!
  • onefiveoh
    onefiveoh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lol! no, i actually don't. i just wouldn't eat if i didn't feel hungry. i understand the logic of giving your body fuel, but i am a person who is of the mindset that it is ok to do a significant (temporary) calorie reduction when someone has 100+ to lose. that's kinda going against the grain here, but i yam what i yam and that's all i yam!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yes, Im under my calories,too by about 600
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have a recurring problem... every time I start focusing on nutrition and health in general, I start watching my portion sizes and increasing my water intake... and I start losing my appetite. Its 9 pm here, and I have 800+ more calories to eat for today. Nothing sounds good, but I know I need to eat. *sigh*

eat if you want to gain weight. Common sense.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, yes. Planning ahead helps, a lot. You shouldn't be sitting there trying to figure out what sounds good right now. It should have already been planned. The other benefit to planning ahead is, if you see there are a whole bunch of calories left over at the end of the day, you could redistribute them throughout the day so you don't have to eat them all at once. Adding a hundred calories here and there and/or increased portion sizes of breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and those 800+ cals would be taken care of easily.

I 100% agree with your point of view on this one. :) It's all about the planning! And also, to the person that mentioned working in a convenience store--planning helps with workplace temptations too. My work has a full kitchen and LOTS of bad for you food. I just have to eat what I bring to work and not all the junk around me.
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I definitely have that issue!!! I have to really make sure I get my calories and some days I don't even get to 1200 and sometimes not even 1000!!! Work days are the worse because I'm so busy a lot of the time and get to the point I just eat a protein bar and keep moving!! And I'm someone who HATES eating late!!! So if I don't eat before about 7pm...I won't eat at all!! I go to bed so early that I can't eat too late or I'll feel worse.

But yes....I have to make myself eat a lot of times! You're not alone!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I never have this problem. I pre-log my workouts before I go to the class and spread my calories around all during the day. I eat every few hours (lots of healthy snacks).
    ^^ This!
    Works great for me going this route as well.:wink: Planning ahead, is by far easier than it being the end of the day and left with a ton of cals one could have fueled their body with throughout the day instead. Makes for a better/healthier tomorrow.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just try to eat some kind protein.
  • sarah44254
    Options

My common sense is directing your suggestion to this thought -> don't eat if you want to lose weight.
    So if I don't eat at all, I will lose weight. I'll also become unhealthy and likely develop some sort of eating disorder. Is this really what you wanted to get across? Eating is good for people. Eating too much or too little is a problem, and this poster is trying to figure out how to NOT eat too little.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    God, I wish I had that problem!
  • michelleengland13
    michelleengland13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot, in fact today I am under about 600 at 9:30, the only reason I am not under more is because I saw how low my calories were and had a tiny bowl of cereal and some milk to bump my calories up.

During lunch today I had to force myself to eat even though it made my stomach turn. Because we make healthier decisions like lean protein and veggies you are eating less calories and more volume. I can't make my calorie goals most days... :mad:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

My common sense is directing your suggestion to this thought -> don't eat if you want to lose weight.
    So if I don't eat at all, I will lose weight. I'll also become unhealthy and likely develop some sort of eating disorder. Is this really what you wanted to get across? Eating is good for people. Eating too much or too little is a problem, and this poster is trying to figure out how to NOT eat too little.
    I too was confused by that posters comment. Eat if we want to gain weight???? Do you mean enough throughout the day to fuel our body? Or are you actually telling the OP NOT to eat? ::shrugs::
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    NEVER! i wish! i am perpetually hungry. ugh!
This discussion has been closed.